MYJOBMAG MUST READ SERIES: GET THE JOB - USE OF ENGLISH
Views: 4192 // Date Posted: August 12, 2012
Welcome to MyJobMag Special Series!
You may miss reading our job posts but never miss any episode of this series.
aim of MyJobMag "GET THE JOB" series is to discuss how you can grab
that your "dream" job. This series is designed to sharpen your job
hunting skills and YOU as a whole!
WE ENCOURAGE YOU READ ON AND FOLLOW THIS SERIES AS IT PROMISES TO BE ENGAGING AND EXTREMELY BENEFICIAL.
MAKE SURE YOU RECOMMEND AND SHARE IF YOU FIND IT USEFUL.
NOW, TODAY'S FEATURE PRESENTATION IS:
USE OF ENGLISH
Asides skills and 'connection', English is an extremely important factor in your job search journey!
Before you disagree, consider these two scenarios:
good looking gentleman walks into an interview room, beaming with
smiles, greets the interviewer and sits down; and only five minutes into
the interview, has murdered English Language terribly and severally!
The next gentleman, equally skilled, beaming with smiles and speaks good and clear English throughout the interview session.
Assuming you are the interviewer, will you think twice on whom to employ?
Wouldn't you rather have a vacant position than employ the gentleman in the first scenario?
WHAT TO DO
At this point, you really have to look inwards, ask yourself the following questions and sincerely answer them:
- Do I have problems with English Language tenses?
- Do I experience difficulties expressing my thoughts in correct English sentences?
- Do I usually switch to my native language or pidgin when stuck and never make an attempt to learn?
- Do I find it difficult writing simple application letters recently?
- Am in the "I can think it, but cannot write it" category?
If you answered 'yes' to any of these personal assessment questions above, then you need to act fast!
This is necessary not only for your job search but for your personal confidence too.
TAKE THE STEP
- We know you are a graduate, but humbly buy a good secondary school
grammar book. Read and practice with the book as if you are preparing
for an exam. Do not relent until you are comfortable with grammar.
- Do not watch movies and music videos only. Rather, make it a habit
to listen to your favourite news channel or discussions daily. Pay
special attention to their use of English and construction.
- For guys, do not read the sports section of newspapers only! Do not
only check the Premier League table. Make out time to read interesting
article in the newspaper.
- If you do not have a dictionary, buy one. If you have, USE IT. If
you can install apps on your phone, install the dictionary app.
- Ask questions if you come across anything unfamiliar. When answered, repeat what was said severally.
- Do not feel bad when corrected, rather ask for explanation if not clear.
We understand that "things are bad", but you have to iron out your part!!!
from the obvious benefits of good English language in securing a job,
it may be extremely essential in keeping the job too.
FEEL FREE TO LIKE AND SHARE IF YOU FIND BENEFICIAL!
TAKE THAT STEP TOWARDS IMPROVING YOUR COMMAND OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE
YOU WILL NEVER REGRET YOU DID