As defined by the ICN, competition advocacy refers to activities that promote a competitive environment through non-enforcement mechanisms, such as building relationships with government entities, increasing public awareness of competition’s benefits and identifying and removing anticompetitive policies and regulations.
We are looking for success stories from competition agencies or other public bodies that demonstrate the tangible results of competition advocacy regarding:
Theme 1: Prompting structural reforms in key sectors
Structural reforms enable competitive outcomes in key sectors and tackle obstacles to the fundamental drivers of growth, removing impediments to the efficient allocation of resources and encouraging job creation, investment and productivity.
Theme 2. Creating markets for private sector development
Effective competition dynamics enable the rise of contestable new markets, encourage the disruptive entry of new businesses, and foster the development of innovative goods and services.
Theme 3. Reaping the benefits of globalization and trade openness
Well-functioning competitive domestic markets can maximize the benefits of global integration, unlocking opportunities for greater investments and participation in global value chains.
Theme 4: Improving administrative procedures to remove obstacles to competition
Inadequate administrative and regulatory procedures, at either the national or subnational level, may stand in the way of market competition by preventing entry, facilitating collusion, or distorting the level playing field.
How To Apply
Competition agencies and public bodies promoting competition policy are welcome to apply. We encourage joint submissions with other governmental bodies or non-governmental organizations.
Submitted stories should include:
- Description of the competition/market problem
- Relevant theme
- Main goal/s of the work undertaken
- Sector/s involved and product/service analyzed
- Geographical regions affected
- Importance of the sector/market analyzed
- Resources mobilized
- Collaboration with other agencies/organizations and stakeholders
- Advocacy strategy
- Specific advocacy activities, milestones and timeframe
- Main messages and recommendations conveyed by the advocacy activity
- Results achieved
- Effects on market (e.g., consumer savings, investment, value added, entry of new firms)
- Impact evaluation, if any
- Lessons learned
- ICN or World Bank Group tools used for this initiative, if any
Stories submitted to previous editions of this contest that were not awarded are eligible for resubmission.
Please contact Guilherme de Aguiar Falco with any questions at email@example.com.
The deadline for submissions is January 15th, 2018