British Council Nigeria Researcher Connect Workshop 2017
The British Council is the world's leading cultural relations organization and creates opportunities for people in the UK and worldwide to understand each other, to work together and learn from one another. We see this as crucial to building secure, more prosperous and sustainable futures for us all. We build trust and understanding between different countries and cultures and develop strong international links that are of benefit to people in Britain and the rest of the world.
Applications are invited for:
Title: British Council Researcher Connect Workshop
- Researcher Connect is a professional development course for researchers that focuses on communication skills for international, multicultural contexts.
- The course is designed specifically for early and mid-career researchers, but particular aspects are also of benefit to more experienced members of the research community. The training provides participants with the insights, understanding and tools to communicate effectively, whatever the situation or context.
- Researcher Connect has been built on extensive global market research, and successfully run in Europe, Middle East and North Africa, South and East Asia and the Americas. Researcher Connect is marketed to institutions rather than individual researchers.
- British Council Nigeria will be launching its Pilot Researcher Connect Workshop in the region which is open to the entire HE sector. Applications are invited from early to mid-career researchers from Nigeria.
The course is offered as a series of modules delivered through a face to face workshop format, by experienced and quality-assured trainers. The ideal length of a Researcher Connect course is three days, and the best results are achieved when the number of course attendees does not exceed 20.
Organisations hosting Researcher Connect may select the modules that best meet the development needs of the participants they select. The available modules include:
- Foundation Module: Know Your Audience
- Academic Collaboration
- Effective Emails
- Presenting with Impact
- Persuasive proposals
- Academic Writing
- Social Media for Researchers
Benefits for Researchers
Researcher Connect is specifically designed for academic researchers to develop the professional skills required to better communicate their work, leading to:
- Improved performance in publishing and presenting
- Stronger international and private sector collaborations
- Increased employability
Benefits for Institutions
- Stronger representation at conferences
- Increased publication rates
- Higher quality funding applications
- Stronger international reputation and ranking
- This call is open to academics that have completed their doctorate degree, (PhD) within the last 10 years and currently working in a Government approved Nigerian University or Polytechnic.
16th February, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates in 1500 words or fewer outline the importance of academic collaboration to their research or to a piece of research they would like to undertake, Please summarise the potential and desired impact of this work, the journals you may wish to approach for publication and how the research may be funded.
Forward your application via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Selected applicants will be informed in the week beginning 20th February, 2017. The training will take place from 14th March 2017 in Lagos.
- Travel and accommodation costs in Lagos will be the responsibility of applicants and/or their respective institution.