North East Regional Initiative and the USAID Office of Transition
Initiatives (NERI/USAIDOTI) welcomes applications for the position
Job Title: North East Intellectual Entrepreneurship Fellowship (NEIEF) Program
About the North East Intellectual Entrepreneurship Fellowship (NEIEF) Program
- The United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
has contracted Creative Associates International to implement the North
East Regional Initiative (NERI), a four-year project based in Abuja and
operating in northeast Nigeria. Under NERI, Creative Associates works
with civil society groups, communities, and Nigerian government
stakeholders to deliver short-term assistance by awarding small grants
to local and international partners working in northeast Nigeria.
- Activities, developed in concert with local stakeholders, will
improve stability in Northeastern Nigeria by increasing positive
engagement between civil society, communities, and the Gov’t of Nigeria
(GON), developing and increasing access to sources of credible
information, and supporting vulnerable youth.
- NERI works in Northeastern Nigeria to implement two core
objectives; 1.) reduce percepetions of marginalizaton and 2.) challenge
extremist ideas and narratives.
- As part of USAID/OTI Nigeria’s work to Counter Violent Extremism
in Northeast Nigeria OTI is embarking upon an “Intellectual
Entrepreneurship” duster of activities to work with a group of thought
leaders, preparing and training them to engage in the difficult task of
lighting the toxic philosophies of the insurgents.
- This cluster of activities will be selecting Forty-five (45)
young men and women from the Northeast region of Nigeria (with Adamawa,
Borno and Yobe as catchment states as well as applicants from other
states across the Country) who will be taken through an entrepreneurship
process exposing them to key ideas of liberal democracy, free markets,
tolerance, separation of religion and governance and others. This will
be done through book clubs, training and mentoring sessions on the
relevant subject matters and principles.
Thematic Focus for this Fellowship Round
- Each selected participant will receive a monthly stipend, a
laptop and an e-reader uploaded with books and training/support
- Outstanding Fellows MAY BE sponsored to participate in the
Istanbul Network for liberty Annual Conference or the Oslo Freedom Forum
Applicants are free to focus on one of the following themes during their fellowship period:
North East Intellectual Entrepreneurship Fellowship Guidelines
- Countering Violent Extremism in the North East
- Promoting Religious Tolerance in the North East
- Promoting Support for Gender and Social Inclusion in the North East
- Promoting Dialogue and Reintegration in the North East
- Applicants must be between 25 and 40 years of age (up to 45 years for Women).
- Applicants must be a citizen of Nigeria (with Adamawa, Borno and Yobe as catchment states)
- Applicants must have a background in community work, volunteerism, and policy engagement
- Applicants must be active in at least 3 Social Media Platforms
for up to a year (Preference will be given to those active in more
platforms over a longer period)
- Applicants must possess a Bachelor’s degree and have experience in policy-oriented activities.
- Applicants mast be fluent in both written and spoken English.
- The Fellowship requires a full commitment to the training and
mentoring activities, book clubs and to maintaining active presence on
social media - including maintaining blog and not less than 3 social
media accounts throughout the currency of the fellowship.
- Fellows are required to commit to being available to attend all
fellowship activities especially the training programs and Book Clubs
review meetings and, any other meetings or travels that might arise
during the fellowship period.
- NERI will cover all costs for travel and fellows would receive a
stipend of up to #50k a month to cover the cost of local transport and
- Fellows will be provided with laptop computers and Book Readers
with approved book club materials preloaded at the beginning of the
fellowship and updated, if the need arises, from time to time.
25th January, 2017.
Method of Application
Applicants should download and complete the
"Application Form" below and send their application package by regular
e-mail to: email@example.com
Subject of email should be: “NEIEF-2017’’
Click Here to Download the Application Form (MS Word)
- Incomplete or late application will not be considered. Successful applicants will be notified by email.
- Candidates are advised to read carefully the information of the "Application Form" before submitting their application.