Basic Resume Rules: A Guideline To Building The Perfect CV
There are certain basic rules, but they all seem to get broken constantly. All of these should be obvious to someone looking out for a change but it has been observed that every job seeker has a moment when they forgot these important resume rule(s).
Pasted below are few obvious forgotten resume rules:
• Always proofread! This is the most basic rule one can imagine, and yet it has been violated so many times.
• Remember to attach your resume Don’t send a wonderful email and forget to attach your resume.
• Keep it simple Keep the language simple. You might be a rocket scientist waiting to impress the world with your jargon, but the HR manager reading your resume isn’t. List your qualifications in industry-wide, simple terms.
• Tell the truth, Don’t Lie Without preaching the 10 Commandments, make sure your resume offers the facts first. Be honest about responsibilities, positions, and length of employment while emphasizing cold, hard facts.
• Do not include the reference list Unless the employer is actually asking for a reference, do not include references.
• Do not limit your resume to one page. This is an outdated practice. Instead, focus on a resume that properly reflects your career goals and achievements.
• Organize your resume in categories. It may be confusing if your CV is not properly organized category-wise. Create different categories for each content you intend to input (Education, Work Experience, Professional Qualifications etc). Don’t make your reader work for comprehensibility. They shouldn’t have to attempt to discern your organizational methodology.
• Do not place your educational background at the top. Employers want to see your experience. Only recent college graduates should place their educational background at the top of a resume.
I am sure, the above rules will help you go a long way towards impressing a prospective employer & getting pass through in an interview. Please remember, your resume is your first impression. It should sparkle, or at the very least, glimmer a little bit.
You can build your own CV with our CV Builder and Download in PDF or HTML.
Enter your email to be the first to know about all jobs in Nigeria
Enter one word that best describes the job you are looking for
Available Jobs in Nigeria Today
MyJobMag.com is a fast-growing jobs in Nigeria publishing platform.
We assist job seekers by providing the latest and verified job adverts and career information from employers and recruiters in all Nigerian states. We ensure candidates get to apply for insider job vacancies that go unadvertised both online and in newspapers. Our job services are FREE ie. we do not expect jobseekers to pay for our career services. Subscribe to MyJobMag via the following channels: email, Facebook, Twitter, Blackberry:
Leading Job Site in Nigeria
As the leading job website in Nigeria, MyJobMag is much more than just a job listing platform. We offer various articles, tip, resource and tools for both job seekers and employers.