At APM Terminals, we are a team of over 20,000 employees spread across more than 60 countries united by a passion to provide our expertise in port operations and container management services. By providing the expertise and port infrastructure essential to world trade, we actively support the advancement of the societies around us, enabling local economies to unlock their potential and build an even stronger global community. Working with a team of talented professionals you will get a chance to experience different cultures and make friends all over the world. You’ll find a culturally diverse, stimulating environment at any of our offices, terminals or depots. When you join APM Terminals, the world is your workplace.
APM Terminals is an independent business unit within the Danish A.P. Moller-Maersk Group – a Global Fortune 500 company with over 120,000 employees and offices in 130 countries with global growth opportunities in a range of fields from shipping and energy to our offshore and retail sectors - Join us to achieve even your most ambitious career goals!
We offer: This position offers career development, exposure to multinational systems and process as well as an outstanding opportunity to join a professional team at APM Terminals and contribute to the success of the organization.
• Represents the MD, where appropriate in internal meetings, while making informed decisions within his authority
• Liaises with stakeholders and other employees as appropriate and directed;
• Organizes and attends meetings with the MD, taking minutes and ensuring the MD is well-prepared for meetings;
• Manage and update the MD’s calendar/diary with appropriate reminders on schedules
• Arranges travel and accommodation and, occasionally, travelling with the MD to provide general assistance during travel, meetings or presentations;
• Carries out background research and presenting findings into subjects of interest to the MD
• Organizes and stores paperwork, documents and computer-based information for the office of the MD;
• Generates and processes documents, briefing papers, reports and presentations;
• Screens telephone calls, enquiries and requests, and handling them as appropriate;
• Receives and manages the entertainment of the MD’s visitors;
• Manages all correspondences in form of letters, emails and taking dictation and minutes.
• Other tasks as required by the Managing director
Who we are looking for
- Bachelor’s degree in Law, Business Administration or related field from an accredited university.
- At least three to five years of experience as a personal assistant to a top management professional
- Qualification as a Chartered institute of Secretaries and Administrators is desirable
- A masters degree (MBA preferred) would be an advantage
- Must have extensive knowledge of Secretarial and document control
- Must be familiar with basic legal concepts, contractual agreements and SLA’s.
- Must have business acumen
- Basic knowledge of branding and communication
- Requires proficiency in various software applications and programs, specifically ALL Microsoft Office suites
- Knowledge of multicultural systems, diversity and inclusion
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to manage confidential information on daily basis
- Ability to empathize, be tactful, and diplomatic
- Ability to work both independently and within a group
- Ability to set priorities and multi task
- Ability to network, interact and influence key decision makers within and outside circle of influence
- Well developed English oral, written communications and report writing skills.
- Requires capability to anticipate problems by recognizing the key issues in problems and creating contingency plans and alternative solutions
go to method of application »
- Value and team-based leadership.
- An open and engaging working environment.
- A wide range of international career opportunities.
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth in a dynamic environment.
- Competitive compensation packages
- Provides the operating direction for the Container Terminal, ensuring that productivity and efficiency standards are met.
- Directs activities of Operations staff engaged in stevedoring, gate operations, yard operations, vessel planning, and support activities.
- Sets goals and objectives for the operation.
- Analyzes performance statistics and trends in order to identify areas for improvement.
- Ensures good communication between Maintenance and Operations to minimize equipment downtime.
- Ensures good communications throughout Operations group and their group interactions so that activities are running smoothly on a regular basis.
- Practices management “by walking around” to observe and obtain feedback about conditions, issues, and general environment.
- Creates and manages the operations budget.
- Creates capital expenditure budget.
- Monitors overtime costs and general expenditures
- Identifies areas of cost reduction, when feasible.
- Participates in sales/marketing activities to generate revenue growth.
- Provides reliable service to customers, ensuring vessels sail on schedule regularly.
- Ensures procedures are in place to correct service failures in loading and discharging
- Ensures safety, health and environmental standards are met throughout the operation.
- Ensures monthly safety meetings are conducted
- Ensures all accidents/injuries are investigated thoroughly and reviews them with the management team.
- Ensures that company policies overall are applied consistently and fairly within the Operations Group.
- Ensures operations staff is familiar with company policies, Nigerian labor law, and the procedures for implementing and maintaining consistent applications.
- Provides all supervision and direction for the Operations Department
- Provides direction and instruction to subordinate staff, providing regular feedback and regular appraisals.
- Maintains up-to-date information and knowledge on new developments in the area of terminal operations. Seeks out best practices within the industry and internationally to ensure continuous improvement within the organization.
- Represents the company with local government organizations related to operational issues, when appropriate.
- Meets with customers and high level visitors to the ICD, providing information about the operations and a tour of the facility.
- Reviews and approves instructions regarding operations systems and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Assists with budget preparations and monitoring and in establishing strategic marketing plans to achieve corporate objectives for on-going port development.
- Assists in the translation of the Sales & Marketing strategy into business targets, budgets and tangible plans.
- Key responsibility for attracting customers and ensures a highly professional relationship to the various decisions makers within the customer’s organisation.
- Drives and manages the customer value proposition to secure growth and profitable sales development
- Develops and executes marketing programs to achieve stated objectives regarding revenue, profitability and market share.
- Analyzes marketing programs and adjust strategy and tactics to increase effectiveness.
- Reviews analysis of marketing surveys on current and new product/service concepts in order to recommend future development.
- Provides post-event reports, analysis and regular status reports on marketing programs.
- Prepares tariff and cost analyses and comparative studies/reports.
- Maintains customer data base, with customer and company profile
- Provides post events reports, analysis and regular status reports on commercial and other marketing activities
- Oversees Media and Communication requirements of the company (Press release, promotional material, print works, events etc) & ensures that a consistent and high corporate standard is maintained
- Maintain relationships with key accounts
- Assist in ensuring that a continuous knowledge of industry & market trends is available
- The position would normally be responsible for delivering objectives which are within the organizational strategy & business plans.
- The incumbent will be expected to contribute in making improvements to existing systems, practices & approaches & will have a hand in influencing productivity issues & working methods to meet customer needs.
- Supervises the prompt & efficient resolution of customer complaints and concerns
- Responsible for supervising the collection details, maintaining a log book of complaints and services provided to alleviate customer concerns.
- Responsible for ensuring all necessary analysis is available to management on a regular basis.
- Oversees the database of information on customer / consignee complaints and update of such database
- Oversees the database of information required for and provided to a customer and update of the database
- Identifies service opportunities for client marketing.
- Constantly follows up on service trends, customer preferences, assists in the design of customer satisfaction surveys.
- Supervises and Directs all terminal staff
- Manages various shift programs for subordinates. Monitors use of sick leave and annual leave.
- Follows company management policies and procedures in the application of managing subordinates.
- Leads Emergency Response Team at the time of an incident; if not present, may direct activities from mobile phone until arrival at the scene.
- Provides advice to all staff on issues relating to safety, security, hazardous materials and pollution control.
- Coordinates security matters and advises Security Supervisor as required.
- Interacts with the appropriate authorities, customs, police, and civil defence authorities.
- Evaluates potential risks to personnel or the ICD port and advises.
- Responsible for authorizing gate passes to the ICD areas.
- Investigates accidents or other safety/security related incidents.
- Conducts HSSE inspection of departments and operates a formal system to follow up on inspections.
- Ensures that HSSE equipment is in good working order, tested and maintained regularly, and that repairs are made timely and appropriately.
- Ensures safety awareness messages delivered to various departments through safety team meetings.
Who we are looking for
- Requires a college degree in business preferably in marketing.
- Requires at least seven years of direct marketing/sales experience in the Container Transportation and related industry and with sufficient financial and operational background. Requires international sales experience with some B2B experience
- Must have fundamental knowledge of transportation industry (Containerization), sales methods and practices, trends, and customers.
- Must be familiar with best practices in the industry, with respect to marketing, sales, and business development.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills; the ability to meet directly with customers and represent the company in a professional, competent manner.
- Requires excellent negotiation skills & the ability to build relationships with external parties.
- Requires good analytical skills, including the ability to extract, compile and analyze data.
- Requires exceptional time management and organizational skills
- Must be able to prepare PowerPoint presentations.
- Must be able to handle company information with confidentiality and discretion.
- Must have the ability to be proactive & show initiative in being able to anticipate external customer needs.
- Requires ability to communicate fluently in both English and the Hausa.
Method of Application
Use the links below to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale