Mercy Corps has been working in Nigeria since 2012. With a team of over 25 people, our country programs currently focus on conflict mitigation, economic development, girls’ education, and women and girls’ financial inclusion. Mercy Corps Nigeria is launching a new program, in consortium with other NGOs, aimed at promoting household economic development and financial inclusion.
The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance. The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Senior Finance Officer and Finance Manager at the Mercy Corps Nigeria office in Abuja, the Finance Assistant will assist in the processing and recording of payment transactions in timely and accurate manner.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Maintain custody of the office cash fund and make daily payments of approved transactions
2. Review expense reports (travel expense reports and operational expense reports) for accuracy and completeness and ensure that expense reports have been fully approved before payment
3. Perform daily Safe management with the Senior Finance Officer
4. Maintain the uncleared cash advance file and prepare past due advance report for the Finance Manager
5. Prepare checks or wire transfer requests based on fully approved documents and present to approved check-signers for review and signature.
6. Prepare bank payment vouchers and ensure that all bank transactions are properly and fully documented
7. Record payment vouchers daily in the bank sub journal
8. Prepare photocopies of vouchers and other supporting documents as required for the monthly reporting package to HQ Finance
9. Liaise with statutory bodies and make statutory remittance to relevant bodies
10. Knowledge of an efficient filing system such that files are updated, complete and safeguarded
11. Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
12. Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
A clear understanding of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential. A high level of personal integrity, honesty and transparency in all cash handling is absolutely essential. The ability to interact effectively with international and national staff members is required. A demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
Please submit CV and cover letter addressing the key criteria above, to email@example.com with the subject FINANCE OFFICER GOMBE by 22nd July, 2014