The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in 42 countries. The IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation and creative partnerships. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women's empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. IRC’s Emergency Response Team, with local partner CISCOPE (Civil Society Coalition for Poverty Eradication), implemented a project to support livelihoods and improve WASH in Kogi State from February to May 2013. This was followed by a 3-month nutrition and food security program in the same location from October 2013 to January 2014. The IRC is now in the process of establishing long term presence in Nigeria. An office has been established in Adamawa State, North East Nigeria and are providing critical humanitarian assistance to conflict affected people.
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Stabilization centre Doctor
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home
Scope of Work
The Stabilization Doctor will be responsible for running day to day activities of Askira stabilization centre and he/she reports to the stabilization center manager and works closely with the Health and Nutrition Manager of Adamawa state for Day to day administrative issues. The stabilization center Doctor ensures the implementation of a quality clinical care of children admitted to the center in accordance with National and international standards. The Medical Doctor will identify gaps in SC and take the necessary steps to address those gaps. He/she provides technical oversight assistance in planning, implementing, and monitoring of high impact intervention and provides support in system strengthening and promotion of childhood nutrition, with special focus to the most vulnerable and unreached populations groups. He/she will directly supervise clinical staff and ensure staff maintain high professionalism throughout. The stabilization Doctor will ensure quality of services in the stabilization center CMAM PROGRAMME through strengthening capacities on the clinical management of SAM and facilitating integration of services related to newborn and child health. With the support of the Nutrition coordinator and stabilization center manager. The stabilization center Doctor will oversee night coverage activities/services provided to admitted cases (and caregivers) at the stabilization center and will generally be responsible for documentation and stock management of commodities, medicines/consumables and data tools.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Under direct supervision of the stabilization center manager, the stabilization center Doctor will have the following stabilization center functions:
- Daily calculation of the quantity of food needed for the day to day based on the number of children present in phase I and transition or refers the work to somebody who will calculate and he supervises him.
- Order the food for the SC In collaboration with the hospital dietician.
- Order the drugs for the SC In collaboration with the pharmacist.
- Manage the daily collection of the number of new admissions and exists and attendance from the registrar.
- Weekly checks and transmit the statistics to the stabilization center manager
- Give feed back to the team and take appropriate action
- Compiles monthly reports and submits to coordinators and hospital/state leadership
- Provision of high quality care to complicated SAM cases
- Provide clinical care to complicated cases of SAM admitted at the stabilization center(SC)
- Ensure clinical care provided at the SC is in accordance with the National guidelines for inpatient Management of SAM
- Mentor and provide on the- job training on stabilization care and documentation to nurses and other health workers deployed to the SC to ensure:
- Respect of approved protocol for management of acute malnutrition
- Correct use of programme monitoring and evaluation (recording tool)
- Appropriate use of resources, stock control and ordering procedures
Programme Management and Documentation
- Monitor the in-patient Management of SAM
- Supervise the use of medicines, medical supplies, and nutrition related commodities and data tools in the SC
- Participate in the development and review of programme monitoring and evaluation tools where necessary
- Ensure timely collection, compilation, and analysis of quality data as well as production of quantitative and qualitative reports regarding all IRC activities
- Produce case studies related to in patient care, at least one per quarter or as per line manager’s request
- Evaluate regularly the impact of the activities and propose changes for improvement
- Prepare weekly and monthly activities reports and any other ad hoc report that may be required
- Support the supply chain management and forecast for medicines, Medical supplies, Nutrition commodities (F-75, F-100, Resomal,) and data tools
- Monitor the stock of commodities, medicines, medical supplies: calculate needs, decide quantities to be delivered to the stabilization center
- Plan logistics and materials needs for the SC
- Participate in stakeholder meetings on crosscutting health issues
- Facilitate integration of services for a holistic approach of SAM by working in collaboration with partners
Therapeutic Feeding Functions:
- Checks the pharmacy correct drug preparation, storage and stock balance etc
- Checks food stock: food consumption and cleaning of the store
- Food distribution: works with hospital dietician to ensure meals distributed on time and resect of the quantity
- Maintains and supervises quality of medical care dispensed: drugs distribution correct application of the medical protocols : clinical follow up, rehydration , detection in times of the medical complication
- Nutritional follow up: correct measurements and follow-up of the weight and edema
- Individual cards and the attendance register book correct filling
- Ensure and quality checks admission and exit: respect of criteria
- Ensures and role-models respect for the dignity of the patients and the accompanying caretaker
- Resolution of problems occurring between the patient and the personnel
- Ensure that mothers are well informed about the functioning of the center, the state and the evolution of their child.
- Set work schedule to include overnights shared with emergency health manager and hospital physicians
- Clinical examination of all patients with signs of complicated pathologies or presenting complication or refer by the nurses
- Prescription management and follow up of severe and complicated cases in consultation with hospital physician
- Adaptation and change of specific medical treatment and differential diagnosis in partnership with hospital physician
- Authorizes and interprete rapid clinical laboratory
- Referral of patients to hospital and between hospital
- Training of hospital IRC nurses on routine treatment prescription (theoretical and on the job training)
- Works in collaboration with the nurses to ensure medical care of quality
- Works as a member of the team taking in consideration the non-medical problems encountered by the patients (feeding and psychosocial)
- Develop relationship with medical counterparts with hospital
- Maintain an updated job descriptions conduct interviews, orient new staffs to the IRC and the stabilization center manager
- Supervise the stabilization center staff (Nurse, help mothers, Mothers) directly provide ongoing leadership to the project team and overseeing implementation and coordination of activity plans to ensure targets are met
- Provide ongoing supervision, leadership, training and technical support and guidance to nutrition staff and ensure all stabilization center staff adhere to best-practice principles in all aspects of program implementation
- Overall responsibility for stabilization center staff team’s timesheet, workplan vacation schedules and staff training/development activities
- Ensure performance management system documentation for all staff is in place and followed up regularly
- Build staff capacity in workplan development and reporting to ensure accurate monitoring and documentation of activities
- Recommend and implement a capacity building/development plan for project staff based on documented capacity needs assestment exercise
- Ensure stabilization center staff understands and follows IRC and donor policies and procedures
- Participate in nutrition related meetings seminars and workshop and feed information acquired back into programming
- Work and strengthen relationship with Borno State ministry of health and hospital management board UNICEF and other partners implementing CMAM in the state
- Medical degree (MBBS:MB, Bch) from a recognized/accredited university in Nigeria and registered with Nigeria Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria Dentist on board and have a valid practice license
- At least three years post-graduation experience
- Previous experience with other local and International NGO’S
- Experience inn Nutrition in community based programs
- Training and experience on treatment of acute malnutrition
- Advocacy and logistics experience
- Fluency in English, Hausa spoken and written, Kanuri added advantage
- Experience in managing Nutrition program in complex emergencies
- Excellent management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to live under pressure in an unstable security environment
- Excellent computer skills MS Word, Excel, Power-Point, Epi- info/SPSS outlook and the internet
The position will be based in BAMA, BORNO state, Nigeria but managed from Maiduguri due to accessibility challenges. The situation in northeast Nigeria continues to be volatile and the security phase is orange or red depending on location. This is a national position.
Competitive Monthly salary,
Health Insurance Coverage for Family,
Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
go to method of application »
Sector: Economic Recovery & Livelihood
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Adamawa, Nigeria
The role of the M&E Officer is to coordinate the collection, compilation, consolidation and analysis of data to track programs/ projects activities, monitor progress and support impact measurement. S/he will also conduct research, engage in reflective practice and generate lessons from projects/program and prepare M&E plans for the ERD sector. S/he is responsible for establishing and ensuring better data management systems, and coordinates the proper and timely monitoring and evaluation of project objectives/impact.
Program/project design and learning
- Participate in the of design of project d log frames/results frame work, Develop project monitoring tools to track project activities and indicators
- Organize periodical ongoing project review, and progress monitoring by involving beneficiaries and relevant stakeholders
- Cross fertilize learning among projects by regularly producing factsheets and share with project stakeholders Monitoring and Evaluation
- Track programs/project progress against set target bench market
- Ensures projects monitoring and evaluation activities including but not limited to baseline survey, mid-term evaluation, final evaluation, data quality audit and field supervision are carried out on timely;
- Provide technical assistance to project staff on information management system, proper data collection and record keeping;
- Provide consistent, supportive supervision to strengthen staff performance as necessary to meet monitoring objectives;
- Update M&E plan and indicator tracker timely and provide feedback to program staff on status and quality of implementation.Produce analytical, timely and accurate M&E reports on weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly basis or as scheduled to produce program reports
- Conduct regular data verification exercises to ensure reporting and collection of quality data;
- Document findings from data quality audits and store in project files to ensure collective and sustainable access;
- Actively participate in and contribute to M&E team activities, system assessments, development and implementation of new systems and/or tools aimed at strengthening overall M&E practices at IRC Nigeria;
- Closely work with staff to ensure they follow correct procedures and criteria during beneficiary registration;
Information management and reporting
- Establish and maintain project information management system;
- Submit data set to update country office wide program database on monthly basis;
- Ensure all projects have downward/ forward accountability mechanisms and works with project staff to make sure its implementation;
- Ensure project documents are stored online using Box file
Capacity building and supervision
- Organize training/orientation for project staff enumerators on the monitoring tools and data collections
- Conduct training. Mentoring and coaching for project staff on M&E
- Perform other duties assigned by the supervisor’s
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: S/he will report to M&E Manager and with a dotted line report to the ERD Program Manager.
- Position directly work: Livelihoods Officers, Agriculture Officer and Livelihoods Assistants and other M&E Unit staff
- Bachelor degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science and Development Studies or related field required.
- Minimum of 3 progressive years of Monitoring and Evaluation and/or Research work with skills
Demonstrated Technical Skills:
- A strong foundation in research methods, statistics, monitoring and evaluation
- An in-depth knowledge of CommCare of Kobo ToolBox
- Demonstrated understanding of intermediate and advanced statistics and the ability to summarize generalize, and make predictions from large data sets
- Communication experience and skilled in qualitative and quantitative M&E methodologies and techniques
Demonstrated Management/Leadership Competencies:
- Strong analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly assess priorities and effectively manage a variety of activities at a time while paying appropriate attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact professionally with staff and project stakeholders
- Fluency in English Language (written and oral) required.
- Good knowledge of Hausa Language will be considered
Computer/Other Tech Requirements:
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Good knowledge and skills in Info-graphics/ Power BI
Standards of Professional Conduct:
The IRC and IRC workers adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.