Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Violence in the northeast of Nigeria has caused massive displacements and at the same time restricted movement. It has disrupted food supplies, seriously hindered access to basic services, and limited agricultural activities. Since February 2016, as humanitarian access is increasing, extreme food insecurity and malnutrition conditions have been revealed in Borno state. As of 3rd August 2018, 1.82 million people are estimated to be displaced within/from Borno state, 1.63 million of them actually stayed within the state. Most of them (more than 1.2m) are living in Maiduguri with the host community and others in formal and informal camps.
MdM has its coordination office in Maiduguri and a sub office in Damboa. MdM has started since October 2016 an emergency response to this crisis, in the Borno state. Since 2018, MdM strategy in Borno state focuses on improving access to:
- Free comprehensive primary healthcare services
- Quality nutrition treatment for malnourished children
- Mental health and psychosocial support
- Lifesaving medical care, holistic referral services for survivors of gender based violence
In 2019, MdM runs directly 6 clinics (3 in Maiduguri, 3 in Damboa) and supports two Ministry of Health PHCC. MdM has also developed internal capacities to respond to new emergencies (mainly displacements of population as well as cholera outbreak).
Tasks and Responsibilities
You will be responsible for the implementation of quality services in the field. Under the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator, the HPC manages the operational and technical aspects of the implementation of Primary Health Care and Sexual and Reproductive Health services, as well as the CMAM programme in the different sites. More specifically, your responsibilities are to:
Provide Technical Support to Clinic Staff:
- Ensure the implementation on-the-job trainings sessions by medical technical advisors towards health national staff
- Conduct specific trainings where appropriate
- Ensure use and respect of medical protocols through observation and supervision of medical and paramedics staff
- Support the medical team in all aspects to ensure smooth running of the project activities, responding to urgent needs in a timely fashion
- Plan and implement thematic capacity building or specific trainings according to the identified needs for Clinics
- Participate in establishing/improving referral system
- Provide input into policy and protocol development lead by the programme coordinator
- Supervise drugs stock management in clinics implementing MdM pharmaceutical policies and closely liaising with the pharmacy coordinator
- Liaise closely with programme coordinator and pharmacy coordinator to ensure pharmaceutical supplies are continuous, anticipate any rupture in stock and forecast the shortage
- Establish mechanisms of providing regular feedback on statistics and health activities to medical team
- Conduct regular performance appraisals (quarterly basis)
Manage the Team of Medical Supervisors in line with MdM HR Policies:
- Organize the weekly schedule of Clinic teams to ensure the smooth running of the activities
- Ensure timely flow of information from field to base
- Ensure that medical and paramedics staff of Clinics respect their assigned tasks
- Provide strong leadership to ensure Clinic staff and/or HF staff understand and work according to MdM principles
- Participate in recruitment process of Clinic staff and other medical staff
- Ensure adequate staffing of clinics with qualified personnel
- Ensure field teams are trained on and do follow MdM procedures relating to pharmaceuticals and data collection
- Ensure field teams adhere to MdM confidentiality protocols in the field
- Lead on quality of service delivery of MdM activities under the supervision of the programme coordinator
Participate in Reporting Activities and Communication:
- Prepare a weekly activity report to submit to the programme coordinator
- Compile epidemiological reports for inclusion in medical reports or any other relevant reports
- Participate in MdM internal meetings (medical, security…)
- Attend to external medical meetings upon the programme coordinator request
Manage the Team of Technical Advisors/Trainers in line with MdM HR Policies:
- Directly supervise the team of trainers in line with MdM HR policies
- Manage leave requests, evaluations, and quality of outputs of all supervised staff
- Authorize weekly activity plans from each trainer
- Support the smooth running of the operations in the field, ensure good communication between health national staff, medical supervisors and trainers.
Lead on field-level Coordination of MdM Activities:
- Ensure good coordination of MdM field teams with other actors in the same area
- On request of th programme coordinator, support/lead partnership development with other health actors
- Support medical supervisors to actively coordinate on field level with community leaders, ingo, UN, government and other stakeholders
- Ensure that the field activities of MdM, such as clinics, are well maintained, meet MdM minimum standards and any issues are relayed to the logistics department in a timely manner
Human Resources, Finance and Logistics:
- Assist the programme coordinator with recruitment of positions for the medical team
- Ensure all procurements required for the medical programme are submitted to the logistics department on time and are followed up to make sure the programme has the logistical support it needs to deliver its activities
- Ensure that projected costs for the project are submitted to the programme coordinator on time, and in close collaboration with the logistics department
- Consolidate logistics reporting (assets, fleet, premises …) and prepare monthly logistic report
- Organize regular meetings with the logistics team, in order to share all information and problems, finding solutions where necessary
Skills and Experience Needed
- Medical profile: Doctor or Nurse with Master's Degree in Relief/Development or related field.
- Experience with an international NGO working in emergency contexts, managing programmes, within the health sector
- 3 years of experience in managing emergency response programme
- Previous experience of project planning and budget holding; proposal and report writing Knowledge and understanding of project management tools (Logical Framework analysis, project cycle management, objectives and indicators etc.) Strong leadership skills and a supportive management style (experience managing national and expatriate staff) Diplomacy, negotiation and networking skills
- IT: Excellent knowledge of Windows environment (word, excel)
- Languages: English is mandatory (oral and written), and knowledge of country languages such as Hausa or French would be an asset.
- You are committed to MdM’s values as an organisation and motivated by its non-statutory, NFP model.
Conditions of Employment
- Employee status Fixed-term contract
- Duration: 9 months
- Starting Date: May, 2019
- Gross monthly salary: 2,763 Euros
- Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
- Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
- Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
- Guesthouse housing
- 22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
- 5 weeks of paid leaves per year.
- Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
- Insurance (repatriation…)
- Punctual teleworking agreement (after 6 months)
- Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
Method of Application
- Telephone applications will not be accepted
- Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
- MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
Interested and qualified? Go to Medecins Du Monde career website on application.careerbuilder1.eu to apply