Action Against Hunger | ACF-International works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Starting date: ASAP
Direct Line Manager: Multi Sector Project Manager
Job Type: Full Time
- Supporting the effective implementation and coordination of planned PHC training activities
Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Under the supervision of the Multi-sector Project Manager (MSPM) and the Regional Nutrition and Health Coordinator, liaise with government bodies, UN agencies, INGOs, NGOs, and other agencies on issues of planning and implementing PHC training activities (including training and facilitation requirement…).
- In collaboration with the Nutrition and Health Sector Manager, introduce standardised strategies and protocols for PHC training as a component of a comprehensive and fully integrated primary health program.
- Ensure proper and timely implementation of PHC activities and training under the current project and grant;
- Ensure that all grant required activities, indicators and objectives in relation to capacity building are successfully met within the project time-frame;
- Contribute to the development of a range of methods to support project staff to learn about best care practice, to keep their skills and knowledge up to date and to continue their professional development e.g. e-Learning, classroom based training, on the job practice etc.
- Promote learning and documentation on the PHC achievement through staff meeting as well as oriented program workshops
- Support and provide leadership on the PHC training plan and implementation strategy in line with AAH Health programming strategies.
- Supporting capacity building through formal training, orientation session as well as coaching of key AAH and SMOH field staff
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Liaise with the recruitment & HR team/Sector Manager and PM to make sure staff receive appropriate induction training and ongoing PHC support and to address any performance related matters;
- Manage and implement individual and project team training plan on PHC, prepare and deliver induction and other training for MOH seconded staff, Health officers, assistants and community Health Mobilisers
- Assist line managers to solve specific training requirements either on a one to one or group basis;
- Ensuring that AAH core values, policies and procedures are observed during staff orientation and during planned training ;
- Maintain accurate and up to date records relating to training and development of project staff and stakeholders ;
- In Collaboration with PM and Sector Managers, plan and manage PHC training and program budget in order to maintain program expenditure within budget limit
- Produce training reports for all sort of PHC training conducted under the project grant in collaboration and with support from the sector Managers, project teams and technical coordination team.
- Institute PHC post-training monitoring in collaboration with the M&E teams
- Providing technical support and backstopping to Project health staff to ensure regular monitoring information management, project quality and reporting
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Support the regular and proper collection and analysis of demographic data associated with PHC activities;
- Provide regular technical supervision visit and on job coaching support to Nutrition and Health Officer, Health Promoter as well as seconded SMOH in charge of implementing PHC activities;
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of training programmes and develop actions plan to improve practices;
- Make sure learning methods are cost effective and make improvements where necessary
- Regularly analyse data in conjunction with the project staff in order to build their skills in tracking health achievement trends across the project areas and developing appropriate responses;
- Participate in the implementation of surveys as necessary such as regular needs and capacity assessment on the prevailing health situation in the targeted areas of Borno state as well as in all the OFDA project areas when required
- Continually monitor and evaluate project achievement, including project indicators, objectives, outputs, and impact
- Document of the training and post training evaluation for all the PHC training sessions conducted throughout the course of the project.
- In collaboration with the M&E team, the Sector managers and the regional coordination, develop a simplified bi-weekly reporting template on PHC training activities and update regularly
- Support the Sector Manager in reporting training achievement in respect to target reach under the training component;
- In collaboration with the Sector Manager, review the training data on the quantitative and qualitative Activity Progress report on regular basis.
- Participating regularly in internal and external coordination and Health partners’ meetings at both LGA level and at state level when required
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate with Action Against Hunger support departments for appropriate guidance on procedures such as recruitment, procurement, transport, cash withdrawal for program activities.
- Ensure coordination and collaboration with other technical sector lead during all process of planning and implementation of training activities such as development of training materials, data collection, monitoring and reporting tools;
- Represent Action Against Hunger with local authorities, partners and other program stakeholders at LGA level in collaboration with MSPM and other Sector Managers;
- Undertake additional coordination and tasks as requested by the MSPM and the coordination team.
Internal & External Relationships
- Multi sector PM: line Manager.
- Area Coordinator - Exchange of Information.
- Nutrition and Health Regional Coordinators: Exchange of information, technical support
- Other Sectoral Managers & team: close collaboration on planning and implementation; exchange of information.
- Support team: exchange of information, collaboration and coordination
- SPHCDA, State Nutrition/Health Officer, SMOH: exchange of information, coordination.
- LGA Team/Health facility team/Community leaders: exchange of information, coordination.
- Health actors: Coordination, access to training tools, and exchange of information.
- Health Care Professional (M.D., P.A., N.P., D.D.S, R.N., etc.)
- Bachelors in Public Health or other related subject areas.
- Recognised Master trainer in Primary Health Care.
Skills & Experience
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with community members and leaders, partner agencies and key contacts in the government.
- Strong sense of organisation and attention to details.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in reproductive health in clinical and/or direct practice settings, with at least two years’ experience, directly implementing reproductive health programs in conflict-affected or IDP/refugee settings.
- Excellent training and technical skills in PHC.
- Experience developing staff capacity and implementing formal, regular staff training.
- Experience conducting assessments and in using participatory approaches.
- Strong communication skills and ability to write clear and concise reports.
- Strong computer skills: must be competent in the use of Windows, MS Office Suite (Word, Excel), and email programs.
- Fluency in spoken and written English (knowledge of Hausa and Kanuri will be an advantage).
- Work experience in humanitarian settings with international NGO.
- Strong familiarity with international guiding principles and best practices.
- Ability to work in unstable security environments, and under administrative and programmatic pressures.
- Experience in designing and planning community health programs.
- Critical analysis and needs assessment.
- Ability to evaluate the effectiveness of training.
- Management of EPI Info.
- Culturally sensitive.
- Personal commitment to reducing health disparities for those most vulnerable.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Action Against Hunger | ACF-International career website on acfinternational.applytojob.com to apply