UNICEF is the driving force that helps build a world where the rights of every child are realized. We have the global authority to influence decision-makers, and the variety of partners at grassroots level to turn the most innovative ideas into reality. That makes us unique among world organizations, and unique among those working with the young.
We believe that nurturing and caring for children are the cornerstones of human progress. UNICEF was created with this purpose in mind – to work with others to overcome the obstacles that poverty, violence, disease and discrimination place in a child’s path. We believe that we can, together, advance the cause of humanity.
We advocate for measures to give children the best start in life, because proper care at the youngest age forms the strongest foundation for a person’s future.
We promote girls’ education – ensuring that they complete primary education as a minimum – because it benefits all children, both girls and boys. Girls who are educated grow up to become better thinkers, better citizens, and better parents to their own children.
We act so that all children are immunized against common childhood diseases, and are well nourished, because it is wrong for a child to suffer or die from a preventable illness.
We work to prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS among young people because it is right to keep them from harm and enable them to protect others. We help children and families affected by HIV/AIDS to live their lives with dignity.
We involve everyone in creating protective environments for children. We are present to relieve suffering during emergencies, and wherever children are threatened, because no child should be exposed to violence, abuse or exploitation.
UNICEF upholds the Convention on the Rights of the Child. We work to assure equality for those who are discriminated against, girls and women in particular. We work for the Millennium Development Goals and for the progress promised in the United Nations Charter. We strive for peace and security. We work to hold everyone accountable to the promises made for children.
We are part of the Global Movement for Children – a broad coalition dedicated to improving the life of every child. Through this movement, and events such as the United Nations Special Session on Children, we encourage young people to speak out and participate in the decisions that affect their lives.
We are active in more than 190 countries and territories through country programmes and National Committees. We are UNICEF, the United Nations Children’s Fund.
We're passionate about our cause and committed to our mission: to promote the equal rights of children, and to support their full participation in the political, social and economic development of their communities. That's our vision. And it's the world we'd like to build with you.
Vacancy number: VN-NGR-10-2014
Post Title: Supply Officer
Level: National Professional (NOB)
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Duration: Two years
UNICEF Nigeria seeks the services of experienced Supply Officer who will under the direct guidance of the Supply Manager, assist in the procurement, receipt, warehousing, distribution and monitoring of UNICEF's supplies & equipment to the assisted-government projects in support of the country porogramme in Nigeria.
The successful candidate will be expected to carry out the following duties:
- Assist in implementation of supply component of the Country Programme and administrative supplies in close consultation, guidance and supervision of Supply Manager i.e., consolidate Supply Plan; conduct bidding process (ITB/RFQ/RFQ), tabulation of bids, draft CRC submission, issuance of local purchase orders, monitoring and distribution supplies & equipment to project sites, follow up with respective Sections for payments to suppliers, assess supplier performance and prepare LPO status report.
- Interact with Programme Sections and Field Offices in the preparation and issuance of appropriate documents i.e. Supply Requisitions, accuracy in the specifications, budget estimates, coding in line with Supply Manual.
- This includes reconciliation and adjustments of expenditure, recording proof of delivery, monitoring of
- Contracts for closure, etc.
- Using system tools, regularly obtain the list of incoming requisfions to take action on timely basis and update concerned Units; respond to supply related queries from Supply Division, Programme Sections and Zonal Offices and maintain a query log to trace the responses provided.
- Co-ordinate and assist in ensuring the timely dearance of all air/sea Shipments from port of entry, provide logistics support to export of supplies to neighbouring countries, receipt in transit warehouse, distribution and monitoring of supplies & equipment to the final destination.
- Under guidance of Supply Manager, monitor the Supply related indicators of the dashboards and other system reports (Vision), to ensure compliance to the operational procedures (supply workflow) and agreed Target Arrival (TAD) delivery dates.
- Co-ordinate with other supply staff and ensure regular!timely submission of all supply/shipping/logistics related status, support the process of mid-year and year-end physical count of CO inventory in the warehouses, conduct joint evaluation of project supplies for end-use monitoring and submission of reports.
- Assist Supply Manager in smooth operation and administration of the section and officiate as OIC during his/her absence.
- Undertake any other supply/programme related assignments depending on the office priorities and as assigned by supervisor.
Minimum qualification & competencies:
- University degree in Business Administration, Management or related field and a diploma in Purchasing and Supply/Materials Management.
- Eight years of progressively responsible professional field experience with reputed institutions in supply, procurement and logistics management, sound knowledge in a) public procurement b) customs rules and regulations.
- Fluency in English.
- Knowledge of second UN working language, preferably French will be an asset.
go to method of application »
Vacancy number: VN-U-2014
Post Title: WASH State Consultant
Level: National Officer (NOB)
Contract Type: Short Service Agreement (SSA)
Duration: 6 months
Purpose of the Consultancy:
- The State WASH Consultant will be based in Maiduguri working under the supervision of WASH Officer/Specialist of UNICEF Bauchi Field Office to deliver on the planned WASH results for the projects implemented by UNICEF.
- The consultant is expected to work closely with State Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Agency, LGA WASH Units/Departments and other relevant agencies to achieve results with focus on ensuring programme convergence with Health and Nutrition sectors
Key Tasks Expected:
- Facilitate the selection process of project LGAs, Communities and Primary Health CarefCommunity
- Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) centres for provision of WASH facilities in collaboration with relevant stakeholders.
- Facilitate the development of state specific work plans/micro plans for provision of WASH facilities in selected Primary Health Care/Community Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) centres and communities.
- Support to strengthen the capacity of WASH institutions at State, LGA and community levels to plan and implement the programme based on approved workplan in project LGAs and communities.
- Support State RUWASA to establish and operationalize Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Committee (WASHCOM) at community level to ensure sustainable WASH services.
- Prepare monthly progress reports arid develop monthly work plans of actiVITies to be implemented in the State.
- The reporting also includes updating project workplan and result matrix at the State level as well as other reports on specific issues as may be required.
- Support documentation of process, progress and best practices of the project implementalion to support evidence-based advocacy and leaming.
- Contribute to the development of at least two human interest stories.
- Facilitate the procurement of works contracts for the construction of water, sanitation and hand washing facilities in selected PHCs/CMAM centres and communities.
- Support monitoring and physical verification of completed facilities to ensure that quality and of construction conforms to agreed designs and specfcatons before certification and payment to the contractors.
- Facilitate implementation of Community Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) approach in selected communities around PHCs/CMAM centres benefitting from WASH facilities.
- Strengthen reporting, documentation and flow of information among stakeholders at all levels (State RUWASSAs, LGA WASH Departments/Units and communities) on various aspects of the project implementation.
- Maintain up to date accurate information/database on the project progress.
Qualifications or specialized knowledge/experience reguired:
- Advanced University Degree in Civil/Environmental Engineering, Water, Sanitation, Public Health or related field relevant to WASH.
- At least 6 years of relevant experience in programme planning, implementation and monitoring preferably in water and sanitation sector.
- Proven analytical and planning skills and ability to think strategically.
- Good communications and writing skills in English.
- Excellent presentation skills, both in terms of written and oral communication.
- Willingness to travel to rural and semi-urban areas of the country.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Strong computing skills including spreadsheets and graphics
- Passion and commitment to UNICEF's mission and professional values.
- Proven analytical and planning skills and ability to think strategically.
- Fluency in Hausa language is essential.
Method of Application
If you are interested in any of these positions and meets the requirements, please send a cover letter one-page summary statement that describes how your experience and qualifications relate to the post and a scanned IPDF copy of the completed and signed UN Personal History Form (which can be downloaded from www.unicef.org/nigeria/about_3345.html to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business on Tuesday, 8 April 2014. Please put the position title you are applying for on the subject line of your email.
UNICEF. a smoke-free envlronment. is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff. Well qualified candidates, particularly women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.