If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
UNICEF’s mission in Nigeria is to help governments at all levels, organizations, communities and families provide every child with education, health, equality and protection.
UNICEF Nigeria is recruiting to fill the position of:
Vacancy number: VN-NGR-07-2014
Level: National Professional (NOD)
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Duration: Two years
UNICEF Nigeria seeks the services of experienced Partnership and Advocacy Specialist who In the context of a corporate effort to strengthen UNICEF’s strategic partnerships with Africa regional and sub-regional intergovernmental organizations, and under the overall guidance and supervision of the WCARO Partnership Specialist (P4), will be the instigator and focal point in West Africa for strengthening existing sector-specific partnerships and building a strategic relationship with the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) whose headquarters is in Abuja (Nigeria).
The post will provide d-to-day liaison functions with ECOWAS follow up on UNICEF engagement with the regional organization along established strategic priorities and represent WCARO and the UNICEF Representative in Nigeria in meetings and activities of ECOWAS and the sub-regional RCM for West Africa. The position is placed in the UNICEF Office in Abuja and the incumbent will assist the UNICEF Representative in Nigeria in her/his role as the accredited Representative to ECOWAS. The UNICEF Representative in Nigeria will provide guidance and supervision of the implementation of the goals and objectives set by the regional office.
The successful candidate will be expected to carry out the following duties:
- Under the overall supervision of the Partnership Specialist of the regional office and guidance of the UNICEF Representative in Nigeria, perform day-to-day liaison functions with ECOWAS and follow upon UNICEF engagement with the departments of the organization along strategic priorities set at the region level.
- Under the overall supervision of the Partnership Specialist of regional office, and in consultation with regional advisers, promote instigate new types of partnerships with ECOWAS and leverage them strategically to promote the rights of children in West Africa.
- In consultation with the region office, monitor and participate in key activities of the cub-regional RCM for West Africa.
- Provide inputs for key documents and reports on UNICEF’S partnership with ECOWAS, including advocacy material on UNICEF’s activities in the region.
- Assist the UNICEF Representative in Nigeria in her role as accredited Representative to ECOWAS.
Minimum qualification & competencies:
- Advanced University degree in any of the following: Social Sciences, Economics, Public Administration, International Relations, Business Administration, Public Health, Education or other related to the work of UNICEF
- Eight years of progressively responsible experience in the development field and/or in a global private sector company. Experience must be at the international level, including exposure to complex multi-stakeholder partnerships and at least five years’ experience in policy and strategy development design and implementation.
- Corporate Social Responsibility experience is an asset.
- Fluency in English and French. Knowledge of other working languages of the sub-region an asset.
go to method of application »
Vacancy number: VN-05-2014
Level: National Officer (NOB)
Contract Type: Short Service Agreement
Duration: 6 months
Location: Multiple locations- Yola, Port Harcourt, Kaduna, Gusau, Makurdi
Purpose of the Consultancy:
Each WASH State Consultant will be based in the capital of a particular state working under the supervision of concerned WASH Officer/Specialist of respective UNICEF Field Office to deliver on the planned results for the projects implemented by UNICEF. The consultant is expected to work closely with State Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Agency, LGA WASH Units/ Departments and other relevant agencies to achieve results with focus on strategies to promote sector governance and strengthen institutional capacity.
Key tasks expected:
- Facilitate the development of state specific work plans/micro plans (covering water supply, sanitation and school WASH components) to be implemented in the State as per Annual Work Plan.
- Support to strengthen the capacity of WASH institutions at State, LGA and community levels to plan and implement the proamme in rural communities of the two selected LGAs.
- Develop LGA-wide Open Defecation-Free (ODF) plans and support LGAs and communities to attain (ODF) through CLTS approach and Hygiene Improvement Framework with increased participation of women groups and civil society organization (CSOs).
- Support State RUWASA to establish and operationalize Federation of WASHCOMs at LGA level and subsequently expand to the State level to ensure sustainable WASH services;
- Prepare periodic reports, develop work plans and guide LGA level Consultants to harmonize plans for working in coin munities. The reporting also includes updating log frame and result matrix at the State level as well as other reports on specific issues as may be required.
- Support documentation of process, progress and best practices of the project implementation to support evidence-based advocacy and learning.
- Facilitate the procurement of works contracts fix the construction of school water, sanitation and hand washing facilities and the establishment of School Environmental Health Clubs in selected schools.
- Support physical verification of completed facilities to ensure that quality and of construction is conformed to agreed designs and specifications before certification and payment to the contractors.
- Strengthen reporting, documentation and flow of information among stakeholders at all levels (State RUWASSA LGA WASH Departments/Units and communities) on various aspects of the project implementation.
Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge / Experience Required:
- Advanced University Degree in Civil/Environmental Engineering, Water, Sanitation, Public Health or related field relevant to WASH.
- At least 6 years of relevant experience in progrmme planning, implementation and monitoring preferably in water and sanitation sector.
- Proven analytical and planning skills and ability to think strategically.
- Good communications and writing skills in English.
- Excellent presentation skills, both in terms of written and oral communication.
- Willingness to travel to rural and semi-urban areas of the country.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Strong computing skills including spreadsheets and graphics
- Passion and commitment to UNICEF’S mission and professional values.
- Proven analytical and planning skills and ability to think strategically.
Method of Application
If you are interested in these positions and meet the requirements, please send a cover letter one-page summary statement that describes how your experience and qualifications relate to the post and a scanned/PDF copy of the completed and signed UN Personal History Form (Please Download Here) to: firstname.lastname@example.org by dose of business on Tuesday, 25 March 2014.
Please put the position title you are applying for on the subject line of you email.
UNICEF; a smoke-free environment, is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff. Well qualified candidates, particularly women are strongly encouraged to apply.