IITA is an international non-profit research-for-development (R4D) organization created in 1967, governed by a Board Trustees, and supported primarily by the Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR), Our R4D is anchored on the development needs of sub-Saharan Africa, We develop agricultural solutions with our partners to eliminate hunger and poverty by reducing producer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture, We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant environment.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture seeks suitable candidate for the position of Cassava Database Curator/Data Analyst at the Institute’s Headquarters in Ibadan.
Successful candidate will:
- Be responsible for monitoring supervising and screening data entry, maintenance and analysis for the cassava breeding unit
- Carry out analysis of experimental data such as:
- Analysis of variance for comparing genotype performance for single location and multi – environment GxE trials using standard applications in SAS, R, GenStat and GGE Biplot software
- Develop appropriate selection indices for rapid advancement of cassava breeding trials
- Work closely with molecular geneticist and Biometricians to integrate field and molecular data for genetic mapping studies
- Backstop cassava breeding staff and research partners in development of experimental designs to apply appropriate statistical model for analysis
- Prepare periodic status summaries on data analysis activities
- Contribute to preparation of reports, publications and visual presentation of analysis results
- Responsible for development and maintenance of IITA cassava breeding database including curation of pedigrees, clone names, genotypic and phenotypic data
- Contribute to international cassava database development
- Represent IITA at international meetings on data management
- Assist with additional activities as requested by supervisor
Educational, Experience and Other Requirements
- MSc degree in Computer Science, Statistics and other related fields. Minimum of Five (5) years’ research experience with an agricultural research organization or equivalent experience.
The ideal candidate must possess:
- Excellent English reporting, writing and oral communication skills
- Good experience with databases such as SQL server, Oracle, and MySQL
- Strong ability to co-ordinate, prioritise and organize workload; Excellent organizational and analytical skills
- Ability to interface with staff from all levels
Method of Application
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format to IIT A website: http://www.iita.org/careers no later than Two Weeks from the date of this publication.
The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include either the Head of applicant's current or previous organization or applicant's direct Supervisor/Superior officer at work and evidence of current remuneration package.
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.