IITA is an international non-profit research-for-development (R4D) organization created in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported primarily by the Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). Our R4D is anchored on the development needs of sub-Saharan Africa. We develop agricultural solutions with our partners to tackle hunger and poverty by reducing producer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture seeks suitable Nigerian Nationals for the following position at the Institute's Headquarters, Ibadan.
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following:
* Establish and manage field and screen house experiments on yam breeding and genetics both on and out-station.
* Manage technicians and other support staff in yam breeding unit.
* In coordination with Yam Breeder prepare weekly plan for all field workers and Technicians.
* Collect, organise and manage data entry from yam breeding experiments for statistical processing
* In coordination with Yam Breeder and Biometrician, process and analyse data from yam breeding experiments and prepare
* Organise, monitor and report on national (Nigeria) and regional (West and Central Africa) collaborative yam trials with partners
* Manage the propagation, characterization and dissemination of improved yam germplasm in response to requests.
* Maintain regular communication with clients and partners of the unit
* In coordination with Communication Unit and Yam Breeder, prepare training material on Yam.
* Train students and relevant staff of partner agencies in yam breeding methodologies
Qualification and Experience
* Master's degree in Crop/Plant Breeding, plus at least five years of certified experience in on farm research activities with any crop.
* Possess working experience/exposure in international organisations and interdisciplinary agricultural research.
* Be familiar with agricultural and farming systems in West and Central Africa.
* Have working experience with participatory approaches. Yam experience will be an asset.
* Have administrative experience and be able to demonstrate team management skills.
* Be able to demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
* Be proficient in the use of computers database management software, statistical analysis software, internet-based tools and other electronic communication tools.
* Be fluent in oral and written English; with some working knowledge of French.
This position is based in IITA Ibadan, Nigeria and involves substantial domestic and international travel outside duty station.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant environment.
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae, the names and e-mail addresses of
professional referees which must include either the Head of applicant's current or previous organization or applicant's
Supervisor/Superior officer at work and evidence of current remuneration package to IITA website: http://www.iita.org/careers
Not later than two weeks from the date of this publication.