The African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) was established in 2005 as a non-profit organization and networking alliance of African Field Epidemiology (and Laboratory) Training Programs (FELTPs), and other applied epidemiology training programs. AFENET is dedicated to helping ministries of Health in Africa build strong, effective, and sustainable programs with capacity to improve public health systems partnering with global public health experts.
- As Senior Data Manager, direct other HIV data management staff in the performance of data analysis and oversee all HIV data management activities to meet program objectives.
- Oversee the design of data collection, entry and reporting instruments, including paper forms, mobile phone data entry and computer data entry tools as needed by the HIV project.
- Oversee the design and update of databases, including creating automated reports, queries and other functionalities in Access and other platforms (e.g SQL)
- Oversee data management support to NFELTP and residents:
- Conduct analysis and interpretation of both quantitative and qualitative data to inform programming.
- Perform electronic data collection, GIS Map analysis for GIS Projects
- Dashboard review and data quality checks
- Provide data for partner reports, donor reports and presentations:
- Work with local partners to support the correct implementation and use of monitoring and evaluation tools, and adherence to complete, correct and timely reporting.
- Build capacity of local partners in data management and use of monitoring data to modify existing programs and design new programs.
- Support AFENET team on the implementation of various HIV projects including AIDS indicator surveys.
- Support National and State level capacity building activities
- Support National and State programs on data quality and use:
- Represent AFENET and make presentations at professional meetings and conferences
- Perform other duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor.
- A university degree in Medicine, Pharmacy, Statistics or Epidemiology
- Masters degree (or equivalent) in Public Health, Statistics, Epidemiology, data management or related field
- PhD or its equivalent in relevant area will be an added advantage
- An experience / graduate of the FELTP program will be an added advantage
- A qualification in Laboratory Medicine will be an added advantage
- Minimum of 5 years working experience in relevant field.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience with HIV/AIDS, TB and malaria programs or related health service programs; and/or impact mitigation programs in the West African context.
- Demonstrated experience in the design, implementation and management of health monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Experience in Programming Language such as Python, C++,PHP, .Net and other languages
- Experience in GIS map analysis (ARC GIS, QGIS, Health Mapper)
- A good demonstrable experience in various scientific studies, surveys data analysis and management
- Professional training and extensive knowledge in field epidemiology including publication and presentation at international conferences.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be familiar with the various National, PEPFAR and WHO guidelines for treatment, care and Support, PMTCT, Strategic information and other key HIV programs
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation practices, methods, tools and guidelines
- Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office package applications and a statistical package such as Epi info, SPSS, SAS or STATA, Mathlab, CSPro, reporting package such as DHIS 2,
- Excellent (fluent) English written and verbal communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Team player with ability to work without supervision.
- Have a supportive attitude towards processes of strengthening local partners and building local capacities for self-management.
- Be willing to undertake regular field visits with a team approach to program implementation and be able to manage several major activities simultaneously
- Ability to interact with and engage stakeholders at different levels.
- Flexible, willing to travel and work weekends
go to method of application »
Provide logistics support for program training and field activities:
- Support the program office in a variety of Administrative, financial and operational duties
- Performs a variety of routine to moderately skilled clerical support functions, including word processing, data entry, financial management, and other related duties as assigned
- Support Administration unit in coordinating travel plans for program staff, residents and other program sponsored travelers assigned to program related activities.
- Receive and process information of a confidential nature; ensures such information is maintained in strict confidentiality
The candidate for this position should also be potentially able to perform the following duties/tasks:
- Support NFELTP Administrator in compiling periodic NFELTP and PMI program update reports
- Work with NFELTP Administrator to prepare and reconcile travel and operational expenses for program staff, residents and stakeholders for NFELTP and PMI activities. Ensure payments are made timely and vouchers for reimbursement are accurate;
- Support NFELTP Administrator in coordinating travel plans for program staff, residents and other program sponsored travelers assigned to program related activities;
Support in maintaining field reports from residents and graduates assigned to core program activities:
- Screen all incoming calls and be responsible for messages getting to the supervisor
- Provide visitors with accurate and appropriate information and direct them to the proper area or personnel.
Qualification and Experience
- First University Degree
- At least two years experience
- Language Proficiency: Working knowledge of English Language to be able to communicate with staff in the course of his/her work
- Ability to establish and maintain good relations with people at various levels and of different nationalities
- Job Knowledge: Proven knowledge of modern office procedures
- Skills and Abilities: Ms Word. Ms Excel
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- Candidates should indicate the appropriate position in their application letter. AFENET is an equal opportunity employer.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.