Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 100 countries. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity, or nationality. As CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, strengthening and building the capacity of partner organizations is fundamental to the work of CRS. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on health, vulnerable children, agriculture, extractives and governance, and peace building programming.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Programmatic and Financial Capacity Strengthening:
- Conduct the HOCAI Plus assessment and develop partner specific capacity improvement plans in collaboration with partner organizations
- Conduct regular monitoring of activities to ensure appropriate approaches to capacity strengthening are used.
- Administers technical approaches specific to each partner’s capacity needs
- Conduct monitoring trips to monitor progress of partners’ capacity improvement plans; provide support supervisions as needed.
- Support partners to implement, monitor and review capacity improvement plans as needed, and report on progress made in plan implementation.
- Prepares and submits monthly and quarterly progress reports
- Liaise with partner organizations to gather and develop lessons learned and case studies around institutional capacity strengthening.
- Support partners in implementing their respective improvement plans targeted at achieving the predetermined benchmarks for assessment topics where gaps were determined.
- Act as a liaison person with programme and other relevant contacts across the CP on administrative issues.
- Develop and manage the process of timely programme and other reporting, including following up of internal and external reports and ensuring compliance with reporting guidelines
- Provide support to projects
- Develop and manage an effective system for administering meetings, workshops and other events
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning:
- Develop rigorous, results based and impact focused programmatic monitoring systems based in the HOCAI Sub-recipient programmatic monitoring framework, linked to the Sub-recipient financial monitoring policy.
- Document standardized approaches and best practices in local partner capacity strengthening.
- Develop and disseminate knowledge assets in support of capacity strengthening, including: guidelines, tools, case studies, and e-learning.
Programmatic and Financial Management:
- Develop, manage and implement program work plans in accordance with CRS and donor requirements.
- Liaise with country program project managers and multi-country project program managers to ensure the successful and collaborative implementation of project objectives.
- Ensure projects are consistently on track to meet quarterly and annual targets.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of program finances and progress status; review actual financial performance against the budget, and explain variances on a regular basis.
- Develop and produce proposals (narrative and budget) for various potential donors to expand the depth of the CS department.
- Master’s degree in Organizational and/or International Development, or equivalent degree with proven capacity strengthening experience
- Five to seven years of progressive responsibility building institutional capacity in relief and development programs in partnership with local organizations, preferably in an international organization
- Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge to diverse audiences through participatory adult training, mentoring, distance education and other formal and non-formal methods. Strong design and facilitation skills.
- Strong research, adult learning methodology design and facilitation skills
- Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrate high level of initiative, diplomacy and tact
- Excellent knowledge of computer software - MS Office (Word, PowerPoint and Excel especially)
- Must be flexible and be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Fluency in English.
- Willingness and ability to travel 50 percent within Nigeria.
Click here to download Application Form (MS Word)
go to method of application »
- CRS Nigeria is committed to integrating accountability mechanisms to communities throughout its programming portfolio and; as such, seeks an Accountability Manager to help implement the newly developed Accountability Framework and other related priorities.
- The Accountability Manager will ensure that practical and effective mechanisms for accountability to beneficiaries and communities are integrated at the CP level and into programs through capacity building support and implementation. The role will also prioritize the deployment and use of a new accountability software system for the CP and across projects.
- No direct supervision
- The position will require a significant amount of coordination across CP projects.
Technical Assistance & Program Guidance:
- Provide technical assistance to ensure that accountability is integrated throughout the project cycle (design, implementation, and M&E) across CP programming.
- Be a champion and resource person for the accountability policies and procedures in the agency’s newly developed MEAL policies and procedures.
- Provide training and guidance for project staff on relevant accountability issues.
- Share resources and information with staff on accountability.
- Build capacity of staff to mainstream and develop accountability practices and mechanisms into programming, applying principles as outlined by Sphere, agency MEAL polices and other key guidelines.
- Lead the roll-out and testing of the accountability/feedback tracking software.
- Lead the training of CP and partner staff on use of the accountability/feedback software as may be necessary
- Lead and support the development of communication materials for beneficiaries on CP and project feedback mechanisms.
- Integrate principles of protection and fraud reporting into project and CP feedback mechanisms.
- In conjunction with project teams, develop a process to solicit feedback from key project stakeholders.
- Design and provide feedback to the proposal development process on strengthening accountability measures.
- Liaise with HQ/Regional MEAL Team on strengthening accountability measures and CP framework.
- Act as content expert on donor accountability requirements.
- Develop and maintain dashboard analysis for reporting in complaint mechanism.
- Incorporate, where necessary, cross cutting themes such as protection, gender and disability in designing, implementing and reporting accountability
Accountability to Communities and Beneficiaries:
- Be the primary point-person for the CP hotline.
- Develop standard talking point processes to manage various feedback scenarios (ie: if an individual would like to remain anonymous, etc.).
- Support project staff to:
- Assess how beneficiaries and communities would like to receive information about CRS and its projects, and ensure that the required information is regularly shared.
- Support project consultation with beneficiaries and communities on feedback mechanisms that are appropriate, effective, accessible and safe.
- Ensure that beneficiaries and communities participate in a meaningful way at every stage of the program cycle, from design to M&E.
- Monitor the effectiveness and relevance of the accountability mechanisms and practices put in place.
- Support partner organizations in setting up accountability mechanisms (as applicable).
- Support the sub-offices in managing, receiving and acting on feedback through the identified CP mechanism.
- Support the set-up of feedback hotlines and helpdesks, and provide training and monitoring to relevant staff on receiving. logging and handling feedback and complaints.
- Ensure that feedback is routinely recorded, reviewed and acted upon in line with feedback mechanisms guidelines.
- Compile monthly and Quarterly feedback reports for CP MT and ensure all complaints and major issues are followed up and addressed in a timely manner.
- Generate timely reports on work planned and completed.
- Ensure that feedback is integrated into regular program planning, implementation, M&E and reporting.
- Participate in internal and external meetings related to humanitarian accountability
- Conduct periodic field visit for establishing/overseeing accountability systems in place and provide necessary support needed
- Design and Perform Accountability based assessments
- Provide orientation of staff to and align projects with donor focused or global humanitarian principles and guidelines, as and when needed.
- Bachelor's Degree in Social Work, Community Development, or other relevant subject area. Holders of post-graduate certificates have an added advantage.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience working with NGOs or government agencies in planning and implementation of accountability programming in humanitarian or development programs.
- Experience in participatory rural development, and in developing community accountability in projects and programs.
- Experience working with communities and CSOs at the grass roots level.
- Capacity Building experience required.
- Knowledgeable in participatory and rural development processes.
- Acceptance of cultural differences in a continuously changing environment.
- Knowledge of principles and best practice in protection mainstreaming and community accountability in development and humanitarian work, including HAP standard.
- Strong understanding of referral processing (to be used to strengthen staff awareness and understanding on agency policies of protection and fraud).
- Good understanding of project planning, reporting, M&E and participatory approaches.
- Excellent understanding of local NGOs and government system, with knowledge and appreciation of the vision and mission of CRS.
- Good communication and documentation skills
- Proven organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong verbal and written English skills.
- Very good listening and facilitation skills – capable of facilitating group discussions with program participants, communities, local officials, partners and all levels of staff.
- Ability to appropriately manage sensitive situations and information.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and influencing skills.
- Calm demeanor to be able to solicit and receive varying types of feedback from stakeholders.
- Proficient in the use of MS Office suite of programs.
- Strong skills in mentoring and coaching peers
- Proficiency in multiple Nigerian languages and dialects a plus to be able to engage with stakeholders across CRS Nigeria’s geographically expansive programming areas.
- Must be able to respect the privacy, sensitivity and confidentiality of the type of information individual may come across in this role.
- Can work independently and proactively to identify issues, involve appropriate stakeholders, and facilitate and implement solutions.
- Ease of use learning, exploring and training colleagues on new software systems.
- Quickly receive and process information to assess a rapidly evolving situation and ability to make timely decisions
- Ability to make timely decisions consistent with the values of the organization and the established delivery plan.
- Strong communication capability to build good inter-personal relationship with staff, partners and other key stakeholders.
- Ability to mobilize people - to develop and maintain relationships with staff and communities to ensure their participation in CRS programs.
- Non-discriminatory and readiness to involve beneficiaries and communities from diverse backgrounds, particularly the most marginalized groups, acting in a respectful and culturally sensitive manner.
- Can work in sensitive and high security environments.
- Willing to travel extensively to different locations; even on short notice
Click here to download Application Form (MS Word)
Method of Application
Applicants should download the "Application Form Below" and send with a detailed 3-page resume in a single file word document to: NG_HR@global.crs.org Title of the position must be stated as the subject of the email.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.