Oxfam works with others to overcome poverty and suffering. As an Oxfam employee, you will join a team of professionals that is part of the international confederation of 17 organizations networked together in 94 countries. As part of a global movement for change, we are working together to end world poverty and injustice.
The successful candidate will support the development and implementation of Oxfam’s humanitarian work by providing specialist advice and support on protection issues. This will include mainstreaming protection in the humanitarian response, supporting safe programming, and undertaking gender-sensitive community-level protection activities. The successful candidate will also assist with protection monitoring, information dissemination and referrals guided by Oxfam’s policies and guidelines.
Job Ref (INT3016)
Salary: Competitive package
Contract Type: 6-months, with possible extension
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria. Plus travel to other field locations
Support the Protection Coordinator in mainstreaming protection across Oxfam’s humanitarian response in North-east Nigeria.
Provide specialist protection advice and support to Oxfam’s humanitarian response in North-east Nigeria, including engagement with armed non-state actors and ensuring independence and impartiality in providing services.
Lead and supervise assessment teams during thematic surveys.
Advocacy and Research
- Support protection-related research surveys in coordination with the Protection Coordinator and the Policy, Media, Advocacy and Campaigns Department.
- Support the Program Team to prepare written protection updates for Oxfam situation reports.
- Develop lines of communication with the PHE, PHP and EFSVL teams and contribute to a coordinated humanitarian response.
- Liaise with logistic and procurement to ensure protection activities have the required resources in good time. Complete and keep records of the necessary paperwork.
- Represent Oxfam with key protection actors such as ICRC, UNHCR, IOM, OCHA and actively participate in the Protection Cluster and relevant Areas of Responsibility
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) and reporting
- Produce gendered protection updates that will be included in field visit reports
- Contribute in Sitreps, monthly reports, donor reports and proposals.
- Support and coordinate with MEAL Officers and assistants for baseline survey, post-distribution and other monitoring activities.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- A minimum of 3 years involvement in humanitarian response work, preferably in field-based protection work in conflict or insecure environments;
- University degree at Masters level in a relevant discipline (law – including international law –, political science, social science, peace and conflict studies, or any other relevant education profile);
- Strong conceptual and practical understanding of protection issues and specifically Oxfam’s approach to and role in protection work including advocacy;
- Understanding of the Protection Cluster and other protection coordination mechanisms and the roles and mandates of key protection actors
- Analytical skills and strategic thinking
- Strong understanding of gender-related aspects of protection work. Commitment to gender equity, diversity and equal opportunities
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English.
- Experience managing diverse staff/teams including in complex and challenging environments
- Experience of capacity-building and training of colleagues and partners
- Experience in using participatory research and participatory assessment methodologies.
- Project management
- Very good interpersonal skills, particularly in networking, working with communities, local civil society and local authorities.
- Previous experience in using and adapting community-led approaches
Applications must be submitted through our online system.
All applications must be submitted in English and include an English CV.
Method of Application
This is an urgent recruitment for a high priority humanitarian response. For this reason, applications will be reviewed as they are received, and priority will be given to those who are available to travel to Nigeria immediately. Please indicate your availability in your application. Interviews and offers may take place before the closing date.
Interested and qualified? Go to Oxfam career website on jobs.oxfam.org.uk to apply