The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC is currently implementing programs in Health, Protection, WASH, Nutrition, Food Security, and Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE) in Adamawa and Borno States in North-Eastern Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Scope of Work
- The WPE Adolescent Girls Emergency Specialist will be the lead in addressing adolescent girls programming for IRC's innovative WPE and RH mobile response, inBorno State in LGAs outside Maiduguri. In addition, the Adolescent Girls Emergency Specialist will be providing similar support to WPE field sites throughout Borno. With technical support from the WPE program coordinator and the WPE Senior Manager,
- The WPE Adolescent Girls Emergency Specialist will be responsible for leading implementation and training of mobile teams in ensuring quality services are adapted and provided for Adolescent Girls. In addition the WPE Adolescent Girls Emergency Specialist will initiate Adolescent Girls programming by adapting assessments, program design for semi-permanent mobile teams and rapid response teams, resource development, staff training, and capacity building.
- S/he will provide technical oversight to prevention and response staff in the area of protection and empowerment of girls (and the effects of the conflict on women and girls in general). Key outcomes will be that targeted adolescent girls are empowered to make healthy choices and develop their economic and social assets as well as enhance their safety and security. Efforts will also focus on developing strategies to develop positive community attitudes and behaviors towards adolescent girls, and address early marriage, stigma associated with reintegration/returns, and sexual violence.
- The consultant is required to design an adolescent girl's toolkit for partners with innovative approaches to build their resilience and coping skills, increase social networks and reduce vulnerability to violence. The consultant will provide technical support to the GBV Working Group and liaise with the Ministry of Women's Affairs to promote best practices in regards to the positive development of Adolescent Girls.
- This position will be expected to travel extensively in Borno State where WPE teams are located.
Program Design and Development:
- Provide leadership, training, and guidance to staff and local partners to ensure programming meets best practice standards and prioritizes the security of beneficiaries and staff.
- Lead in the development of an adolescent girls pilot program including case management, empowerment and prevention activities and adapted to the crisis in Borno State;
- Design an AG toolkit specific to Borno which focuses on: trainings curriculum for staff, best practices, programmatic approaches for SRH integration, PSS for AG, and broader life skills to build social and human capital among adolescent girls;
- Strengthen prevention and response strategies to address key concerns faced by adolescent girls including early marriage, survival sex and sexual violence;
- Support the WPE team to develop awareness raising messages to promote uptake of mobile GBV response services in a timely manner;
- Analyze feasibility of mentorship program;
- Adapt IEC materials for adolescent girls by incorporating feedback from adolescent girls;
- Document program design and implementation to provide guidance and lessons learnt for future expansion of adolescent girls programming;
- Provide training and mentoring to key staff on the adolescent girls toolkit to develop a strong understanding and technical competency for adolescent girls programming;
- Liaise with the Health Manager to help provide technical support to the midwife team in regards to adolescent girls.
- Assist with the development of proposals, in relation to adolescent girl programming, as needed
- Staff and Community Capacity Building
- Collaborate with the WPE Senior Manager and RH Manager to implement a staff training plan for mobile and remote team members in regards to Adolescent Girls Programming.
- Conduct trainings for community and service providers.
- Collaborate with the Health Sector on best approaches to SRH interventions for Adolescent Girls.
- Toolkit Development &Inter-Agency Coordination
- Incorporate feedback from GBV WG and share the toolkit with appropriate actors;
- Lead on explaining use of the toolkit to the GBV WG
- Must have a university Degree in Public Health, Social Work, or Social Science, with significant relevant work experience in conflict affected areas,
- 3 years GBV program management experience, preferably in insecure locations
- Experience in working with adolescent girls in empowerment, life-skills or risk mitigation programs, preferably in conflict regions, and particularly in developing and using life-skills training curricula,
- Preferred experience developing a toolkit for sensitive programs,
- Excellent GBV case management skills and have provided direct case management to girl survivors of GBV,
- Good interpersonal and team building skills.
- Thorough understanding of feminist theory and survivor centered programming
- Ability to live and work under pressure in an unstable security environment.
- Knowledge and experience of participatory planning methods
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in grant management and proposal writing is preferred.
- Excellent computer skills: MS Word, Excel, Power point, use e-mail and internet.
- Fluency in English and other language desirable.
- Be a team player
- Additional qualities: ability to multitask, ability to handle pressure well, ability to improvise, flexibility.
Standards for Professional Conduct
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
go to method of application »
Scope of Work
- The Senior WASH in Emergencies Manager will ensure the implementation of quality Environmental Health (EH) projects Borno state.
- S/he supervises other EH staff, and reports to the Environmental Health Coordinator.
- The position is based in the IRC Maiduguri field office in Borno state.
- Manage all EH programs at the Maiduguri Office, ensuring timely and effective implementation to meet the project outcomes with a special focus on the emergency grants.
- Provide supervison and leadership to the EH staff.
- Develop work plans to guide and monitor implementation of approved grants and support the field teams in the implementation and monitoring of the work plans ensuring that activities reflect the commitments IRC made to the donor and community.
- Review Budget vs. Actual expenditure for EH programs on a monthly basis with staff.
- Participate in the development of staff development plans for EH staff based on performance reviews in collaboration with the human resources department and contribute to the training of EH staff (mentoring, on-the-job sessions as well as formal trainings).
- Develop/organize training opportunities to build the capacity of the EH staff and local partners in order to transfer skills. This includes staff training in program management areas such as reporting, budgeting, monitoring, evaluation, supervision and emergency response.
- Review all reports prepared by the EH staff and provide appropriate feedback to the concerned staff, and ensure that reports are written and submitted to concerned bodies in a timely manner.
- Lead the development of appropriate project management tools to plan, review and track progress on projects implementation as well as on the utilization of project resources.
- Ensure that the stated goals and objectives of all EH projects are met with strong monitoring and evaluation (M&E) follow up, including any required operational research.
Representation and Advocacy:
- In coordination with the EH Coordinator and Senior Management Team, actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders in Nigeria including WASH Cluster, donors, government actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors.
- Develop strategic partnerships with local organizations, wherever possible.
- Represent IRC to local communities, government departments, international agencies, local partners and donors as required.
- Work with the sector coordinator to design Sanitation and Shelter structures BOQs that are sound and follow SPHERE standards and ensure that structures are culturally appropriated and accepted.
- Lead the sector teams in the field to comply with appropriate processes for infrastructure improvement
- Guide the project teams to design and deliver hygiene promotion activities that are based upon effective formative research and adapted to the local context.
- Together with the sector coordinator, lead on planning of all WASH and Shelter project activities setting high quality performance targets and ensuring adherence to technical standards, best practices, donor guidelines and SHPERE standards
- Ensure that the selection of the project beneficiaries is based on approved criteria and strategies, ensuring beneficiaries are consulted and their views taken into account at all stages of the program.
- Ensure that the program incorporates effective gender strategies for equity and inclusion across program delivery.
- Ensure that synergies with the health and nutrition teams are created for an integrated program.
- Ensure that the teams are preparing their activity implementation plans
- Ensure that protection issues are fully considered throughout the project cycle with women, elderly, disabled and most vulnerable being included in decision making for all WASH and Shelter issues.
- Participate in the design of robust M&E plans
- Master's Degree in Engineering, Public Health, Hydrogeology or similar.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working with INGOs in the field of WASH and with implementation of water supply, sanitation, construction, hygiene or infrastructure projects.
- Demonstrated experience in working in emergency settings
- Proven strong ability to provide technical assistance and expert advice to staff and partners in infrastructure and related fields.
- Experience in project management, planning, supervision, quality assurance and reporting
- Experience working in Nigeria/West Africa a plus.
- Background in situation analysis, WASH assessments and program implementation.
- Knowledge, skills and experience in participatory methods, community development and partnership.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, and facilitation skills.
- Excellent coordination and networking skills.
- Excellent computer skills in programs such as: MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint
Specific Security Situation/Housing
- The Senior WASH in Emergencies Manager will be based in Maiduguri. The security situation in Nigeria continues to be volatile in the NE with the security level at 3 (orange).
- The candidate should be prepared to implement programming in insecure environments. This is a non-accompanied position.
- The Senior WASH in Emergencies Manager will live in shared housing.
Standards for Professional Conduct
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.