Security Role at United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Posted on: 6 October, 2016
Deadline: 18 October, 2016
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at UN High Commissioner For Refugees
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) - For over 65 years, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has been protecting the rights and well-being of refugees all over the world.
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Nigeria wishes to engage the services of a Field Security Associate in its Maiduguri Office on a fixed term basis. Hence we are currently seeking for suitably qualified candidate to fill the position of Field Security Associate.
- The Field Security Associate reports to the Field Safety Adviser who defines general work objectives and provides necessary advice and guidance.
- The incumbent maintains regular contact on a working level on routine issues with other UNHCR staff members, UN agencies, NGOs, implementing partners and local military and other government security apparatus in the area to facilitate the operation.
- The duty of the incumbent is to support and monitor the management of security issues by liaising with key government security apparatus.
The incumbent will have the following responsibilities:
- Provide assistance to the supervisor in evaluating the level of risk and assessing the existing security measures for the UNHCR staff, operations, premises, partners and persons of concern.
- Conduct regular security assessment missions to the field in coordination with UNDSS/other agencies; assist the supervisor during field missions to gather information and analyze the security situation.
- Be aware of security protocols and procedures in place, especially those comprising Minimum Operational Safety Standards (MOSS) and Residential Security Measures (RSM); check for compliance and advise management on any deficiencies.
- Monitor the physical security of UNHCR premises and reports on deficiencies/ requirements for the guard force.
- Assist in efforts to ensure the physical protection and security of refugees and other persons of concern.
- Provide support during implementation of security-related projects.
- Assist in the monitoring, updating and reporting of security-related events.
- Assist in the processing of administrative security issues.
- Maintain relations and cooperation with UN security management system actors, local law enforcement agencies, civil authorities and other relevant agencies.
- Provide security briefings and training to UNHCR staff, and as appropriate partner staff, on relevant country information and on other issues pertaining to the UN security management system including, inter alia, the warden system, radio communication procedures, travel procedures and fire safety.
- Respond to staff queries on security issues and provide immediate assistance as required.
- Undertake other functions as delegated by the supervisor.
Essential Minimum Qualifications
- Completion of secondary education with relevant training and experience in security and safety issues. Military or Police background preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years (6 with advanced training/certificate) of previous relevant job experience.
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
- Ability to work in a team under pressure with minimum supervision; good analytic and training skills, organised and good sense of initiative
- Be professional, discrete, organised, flexible and available at short notice
- Good communication skills (written and oral).
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Good computer skills
- Excellent knowledge of local security apparatus.
- Sensitive to the local culture
Method of Application
Interested and qualified Internal candidates should submit their Application/letter of motivation, resume and fully completed UN Personal History Form (P11) via email ONLY to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting in the subject line the above title of the position.
Click Here to Downlaod UN Personal History Form (P11) - MSWord
- There is no need to send other Certificates with the application at this stage.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Kindly note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
- Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about UN High Commissioner For Refugees - UNHCRSimilar Jobs
- Request For Quotations at Norwegian Church Aid
- Job Opportunities at Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
- Country Director at Center for Civilians in Conflict's (CIVIC)
- Construction Supervisor at The Agency For Technical Cooperation And Development (ACTED)
- Job Vacancies at The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
- Admin Supervisor at The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA)
- Latest Vacancies at Palladium Group
- Advocacy and Events Assistant at HarvestPlus - International Institute of Tropical Agriculture