The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the world's leading crisis response agencies, providing life-saving assistance and supporting recovery and reconstruction for people affected by war and natural disasters. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women's empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Full Time
Scope of Work
- The Supply Chain Coordinator directly supervises supply chain teams in Borno and Yobe states and is responsible for the management and delivery of effective Supply Chain support throughout the IRC Nigeria country program in compliance with IRC and donor regulations. Key responsibilities include procurement management, inventory and warehousing management, assets and properties management and vehicle & transport management.
- The Supply Chain Coordinator will assist with the operational expansion/set up of new emergency sites and would be required to work with supply chain teams across the country to ensure supply chain activities are moving ahead in a timely manner.
- The position would report to the Deputy Director of Operations and will work closely and receive technical support from the Regional Supply Chain Director for West Africa, Sahel and CAR on relevant issues pertaining to supply chain management for Nigeria.
- Accountable for implementing and maintaining a local procurement system adapted by the IRC Nigeria Supply Chain Department and based on IRC Global procurement policies and standard operating procedures.
- Ensure each grant has a procurement plan and each plan is updated, discussed with the relevant budget holder and are reported on a monthly basis.
- Coordinate, manage and be accountable for the supply and logistics support to IRC operations, including the efficient, effective and transparent procurement of the required goods and services according to IRC policies and standard operating procedures.
- Establish a reasonable and appropriate lead-time for ordering and delivery of goods, ensuring this lead-time is followed and achieved as per the different grant timelines.
- Maintain transparent and efficient general contracting systems through IRC standard Supply Chain due diligence.
- Take the lead in all international procurements including communication with international vendors and global procurement unit staff.
- Finalize Supply Chain Monthly Report and PRTS for final submission to GSC and country and regional offices
Fleet and Transport Management:
- Oversee the management of the transport fleet for IRC Nigeria. Ensure that vehicles are allocated to program/departments in an efficient manner and in coordination with Program and Field Coordinators.
- Ensure that systems are in place to account for transported goods.
- Ensure that Supply Chain Managers prepare monthly reports on Fuel Usage, Mileage and Spares Expenditures by vehicle for review, general reporting and analysis for continuous improvement.
- Ensure management, tracking, maintenance and reporting of all IRC Nigeria vehicles according to IRC policy.
- Be accountable for periodic circle count as per the standard operating procedure to ensure that stock management system is adhered to by the storekeepers.
- Lead in conducting fiscal year end stock inventories and ensure that effective stock inventory report is produced.
- Assist programs to establish and implement a reliable stock distribution plan to avoid closed grant or expired items in the warehouses.
- Train warehouse staff as required in managing and documenting the receipt, handling, storage, dispatching and reporting of goods through the IRC warehouse(s).
- Finalize monthly report for the expendables store outlining all stock movements and remaining balances.
- Ensure donor reports for stock are complete and submitted to the Grants Department on time as per donor requirement.
- Maintain records/authorizations for warehouse staff designated to receive and dispatch goods.
- Ensure warehouse and stocks are secure, well managed and documented.
- Ensure proper tracking, maintenance, and recording of all IRC assets throughout the country, which will lead to an accurate asset database at all times.
- Ensure that each staff member is accountable for every asset assigned to them through the use of the Equipment Issue / Receipt forms.
- Define and implement maintenance systems and procedures for assets, including training of staff and follow-up.
- Ensure quarterly physical check of assets and submission of asset reports from the Supply Chain Managers for review.
- Update and contextualize the IRC standards for assets/equipment to be purchased, as required.
- Ensure donor reports for assets are complete and submitted to the Grants Department on time as per donor requirement.
- Ensure disposal of assets is reviewed and implemented on an annually as per IRC and donor requirements regulations.
- Develop and implement asset replenishment plan to ensure new assets are purchased in place of the old and inoperable ones.
Budget & Finance:
- Participate in proposal design and budget development by identifying and inputting the required operational budget need for project implementation.
- Work with field staff to identify Supply Chain needs and ensure that issues are raised with Deputy Director of Operations to ensure they are included in new budget development.
- Monitor Supply Chain sections of budgets. Review Budget vs. Actual expenditure reports and give feedback to Field Coordinator and DDO.
Training, Outreach and Staff Management:
- Proactively develop the skills of IRC Nigeria staff to understand and utilize Supply Chain tools and services to design and implement quality programming.
- Practice excellent human resource management, supporting the development, promotion and retention of a motivated team of qualified and experienced staff
- Ensure all Supply Chain staff are aware of and in compliance with IRC Supply Chain policies and SOPs for procurement management, stock inventory, and warehousing management, assets and properties management and vehicle & transport management.
- Participate in all grant opening and ending meetings with the role of preparing and presenting Supply Chain plan including warehouse space, procurement plans, required equipment, disposals and reports.
- Travel to provide technical support to field offices and sub-offices at least on a quarterly basis
- In collaboration with the RSCD conduct IRC Nigeria Supply Chain workshop covering all Supply Chain components; Procurement, Warehouse/stock management, Asset and fleet management annually.
- Design and implement capacity-building program to strengthen the capacity of Supply Chain staff across the country
- Identify staffing and/or skill gaps and see that these gaps/needs are filled and support the recruitment of all Supply Chain staff and provide day to day supervision of department.
- Ensure that each Supply Chain staff has updated job description, annual performance objective and provide corrective feedback of set objectives through regular performance evaluations.
- Ensure that any staff discipline follows a progressive methodology which provides for clear and structured improvement.
Emergency Operations Start-up:
- In collaboration with the RSCD conduct assessments to determine operational needs for emergency sites and create an action plan for the base set up.
- Support all supply chain needs for expansion of emergency response including procurement, transport, warehousing, stock management and other logistical issues
- Assess current operational capacity, determine overall warehouse transportation and accommodation needs for response, and make recommendations for scale-up required to meet response needs.
- Review monthly Supply Chain reports and give feedback to field supply chain staff and Field Coordinators.
- In collaboration with the RSCD conduct Supply Chain Assessment and produce Supply Chain, improvement plans in response to resolve the gaps identified
- Produce a consolidated national Supply Chain report to be uploaded into the SCMR on a monthly basis.
- Ensure implementation of Supply Chain global initiatives are on schedule
- Maintain current knowledge of local government requirements related to Supply Chain matters and ensures compliance with legal requirements
- Review adequacy of space requirements and identify appropriate office and staff housing facilities as needed and requested; negotiate rental agreements and supervise the Administration functions in Borno and Yobe offices.
- Act as Field Coordinator to cover any unplanned absences occurring in the field sites
- Participate in Logistics Cluster meetings.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in Supply Chain Management.
- At least 5 years of work experience.
- Experience working with grants funded by donors including USAID, BPRM, UNHCR, DFID, ECHO, and EU, and knowledge of specific donor guidelines.
- experienced in supply chain management in an insecure or conflict setting
- At least 3 years international experience managing a large multi-site Supply Chain operation, preferably within an NGO setting.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of practical Supply Chain procedures and maintaining supply pipelines in areas with weak infrastructure.
- Demonstrated excellence in training and capacity-building of specialist and non-specialist staff in Supply Chain Management.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong computer competency with word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Strong leadership qualities and willingness to exercise initiative.
- Ability to identify and communicate potential problems and propose solutions to the level of management and then effect change.
- Must be able to function effectively in complex work environment, set appropriate priorities and deal effectively with numerous simultaneous requirements.
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken.
- Willingness to travel to and work in remote and/or insecure environments - this position will spend up to 50% of time traveling to IRC Nigeria Field Offices.
Specific Security Situation /Housing
- Maiduguri is security phase 3 (ORANGE) so the Supply Chain Coordinator will be expected to respect the various security protocols in place in country.
- Phase 3 requires clear contingency planning in place with staff prepared should hibernation or evacuation be called.
- A government curfew exists and remains 9pm to 6am, meaning expatriate staff have to be at the hotel/guesthouse in Maiduguri no later than 6:00pm.
- There is one shared guesthouses in Maiduguri with similar accommodation available in the other field offices.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to International Rescue Committee (IRC) career website on chm.tbe.taleo.net to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale