If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
IITA is one of the world's leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize. It is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
- The IITA Internal Audit unit subscribes to the standards of the International Institute of Internal Auditors, and co-ordinates its work with the CGIAR Internal Audit Unit for all CGIAR Research Programs.
- The Head of the Internal Audit Unit reports to the Board of Trustees via the Finance and Audit Committee and administratively to the Director General.
- The position is responsible for proposing an audit activity plan and prioritizing it on the basis of risk levels, for planning, supervising and performing assurance and advisory services and for communicating results to the Board and Senior Management.
- The Head of Internal Audit is a key advisor to management on the financial, operational integrity and compliance of the Institute's activities in all its geographically-diverse locations and functional areas of operations, including its expanding Business Incubation Platform (BIP).
Major Roles and Responsibilities
1.) Internal Audit Strategy, Policy, Audit Planning, Design and Execution:
- Develop Internal Audit Strategy, Policies and Key Performance Indices.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive risk based audit plan to evaluate governance structures, risk management structures and internal control framework management controls.
- Maintain effective working relationships with the IITA’s external auditors and co-ordinate audit planning to ensure adequate audit coverage.
- Conduct investigations and/or special assignments as requested by the Board or management.
2.) Quality Assurance and Reporting:
- Ensure quality assurance of all internal audit reports.
- Issue audit and other reports promptly, including periodic reports to the Board and senior management on key performance indicators of the unit.
- Monitor implementation by management of all recommendations made by the Internal Audit Unit.
- Develop a Quality Assurance and Improvement Program (QAIP) for the Unit’s and coach and manage staff.
- Maintain open communication with management and the audit committee.
- Take a lead role in monitoring and reporting on Institute's anti-fraud and integrity programs.
3.) Advisory Function:
- Provide advice to support the Board and management in the maintenance of a well developed risk management framework, internal control framework, policies and procedures
In addition, the Head of Internal Audit is accountable to the Director of CG IAU (DIAU) on matters of Quality and compliance with IIA standards and IAU guidelines.
- Develop risk based Internal Audit work plans (annual and medium term) in collaboration with the Director of CG IAU (DIAU).
- Liaises with the DIAU over changes to the plan.
- Schedule the audits for the year in consultation with the DIAU.
- Regularly updates the DIAU with status of work in the Unit.
- The candidate should have a Bachelor's degree in any discipline and be a Certified Internal Auditor or a Certified Information Systems Auditor.
- Possession of qualifications such as a Chartered Accountant or Certified Public Accountant will be a major advantage.
- Sound knowledge of the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing (IIA Standards).
- Experience in working with a leading auditing firm, with international organizations or multinational private sector companies as an Internal Auditor.
- Knowledge of financial audits, project management, risk assessment, information system audit, and proficiency in the use of Oracle or Agresso ERP system is desirable.
- A very good knowledge of governance, risk management framework and concepts and internal control framework (e.g. COSO).
- A mature understanding of the ethical framework for internal auditors and ability to appreciate ethical issues applicable generally in the work place.
- A minimum of 10 years experience (5 of which must be in a senior position) in the internal audit function is required.
- Excellent command of English is a must and working knowledge of French will be an advantage.
- Strong computer skills, including MS Office, spread sheets and database management.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, when necessary, and to meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to undertake substantial travel within Africa.
The contract will be for a period of three years. IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
Applicants should forward their Covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work). The application should be addressed to the Head, Human Resources Service.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
go to method of application »
- Reporting directly to the Deputy Director General, Partnerships for Delivery (DDG-P4D), this position provides executive professional and administrative support to the DDG in the day-to-day administration of the Directorate.
- The incumbent serves as a primary point of contact for the DDG-P4D on all matters pertaining to the Directorate, maintaining high confidentiality as may be required and exercising discretion and a good sense of judgment.
- The Executive Assistant will have the ability to work independently, and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities.
- The successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Work closely and effectively with the DDG, and be proactive in bringing up matters that should receive his attention with proposals on solutions regarding any operational issues
- Perform a broad variety of administrative tasks for the DDG in all aspects including managing his meetings, commitments, appointments/schedules, travels, and other routine and non-routine activities of the Directorate and following up appropriately
- Organize and prioritize large volumes of information and calls, handling correspondence professionally, raising draft statements and responses on behalf of the DDG and/or recommending appropriate course of action
- Support the DDG in preparation for the meetings of the Board of Trustees, assisting with the design and development of relevant presentations by the DDG
- Provide administrative support for the DDG's participation at meetings of the Management Team and other institutional meetings and conferences
- Liaise appropriately with Units/Projects within the Directorate and in the Institute on pertinent issues and submit appropriate reports to the DDG
- Build and manage good working relationships that are crucial for the success of the work of the Directorate, maintaining discretion and confidentiality
- Develop, maintain and update relevant databases for the effective running of the Directorate, facilitating easy retrieval of information
- Keep record of P4D corporate documentation including documentation relating to correspondence, reports and procedures
- Research, analyse and prepare reports (including technical reports) for consideration of the DDG
- Support teams in the management of special projects and cross-divisional coordination work plans
- Prepare the annual budget and financial reports, track expenditure and ensure effective management of the Directorate budget
- Monitor progress of projects allocated to staff by the DDG; prioritize and ensure that reports and correspondence are dealt with efficiently and effectively
- Manage procurement of materials and equipment required for the effective running of the office
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor from time to time
Qualification and Competencies
- B.Sc. or HND in Administration, Management, Business Administration or related discipline, plus a related Master's degree with 10 years cognate experience in partnership development, communications, particularly in an international multilingual and multicultural environment supporting executives.
- Strong communication skills - verbal and written
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Demonstrated proactive approach to problem-solving
- Cultural intelligence
- Personal effectiveness
- Political awareness
- Project management
- Good sense of judgment and discretion
- Team-player, collaboration/relationship management skills
- Results oriented
- Experienced and proficient in using Word, PowerPoint and Excel
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Applicants should complete the online application, attaching detailed Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.