The British Council is the world's leading cultural relations organization and creates opportunities for people in the UK and worldwide to understand each other, to work together and learn from one another. We see this as crucial to building secure, more prosperous and sustainable futures for us all. We build trust and understanding between different countries and cultures and develop strong international links that are of benefit to people in Britain and the rest of the world.
Purpose of Job
- To manage the resources function of the Nigeria Stability and Reconciliation Programme regional offices in line with the programme strategy, implementation plan and financial plan and to client and corporate standards.
Context and Environment
- Nigeria is the British Council’s largest operation in SSA with offices in four cities: Lagos, Port Harcourt, Abuja and Kano. NSRP is a DFID-funded programme managed by the British Council (who lead a consortium including International Alert and Social Development Direct) that aims to enhance collective efforts to identify and respond effectively to potential sources of violent conflict in Nigeria and reduce the negative impacts of conflict on the most vulnerable among the Nigerian population.
- The programme operates from five regional offices in Nigeria with a programme management unit situated in Abuja. The Resources Assistant will be based in NSRP regional office in Maiduguri and may be required to travel to other regional offices and the Abuja office periodically. The post will form part of the programme support team.
- The post holder must have the ability to work in difficult environments, often with limited infrastructure or support facilities. The programme will link closely with other BC-managed work in Nigeria, notably the Justice For All (J4A) programme. The post holder will work closely with the Security Coordinator, Regional Managers, Facilities & Procurement Manager, Facilities & Procurement Officer, Logistician, Resources Assistant Abuja,Programme Officers, Programme Assistants and the finance team and will report to the Interventions and Development Manager.
Accountabilities, Responsibilities and Main Duties
- Accountable for ensuring that regional office resources/administrative functions support the operations of the NSRP regional offices
Responsibilities and Main Duties:
1.) Facilities/Logistics Management - 30%:
- Handle arrangements for all incoming visitors to the NSRP regional office including transport and accommodation arrangement.
Main duties will include:
- Ensure transport arrangements for all incoming staff/consultants to the NSRP regional office are in line with NSRP policies.
- Ensure hotel accommodation reservations are made on time
- Ensure that staff/consultants concerned are informed on arrangement for their transport and hotel accommodation.
- Ensure that appropriate service contracts are in place for the regional facilities and necessary services for the equipment are carried out within schedule
2.) Workshop management - 20%:
- Assist with the management of the logistical arrangements for all workshops, events and meetings
Main Duties include:
- All workshop logistical arrangements are in line with NSRP workshop manual
- Procurement of workshop items are in line with procurement policy
- Undertake logistical support to designated workshops, meetings and events according to stated requirements.
- Workshop activities are smoothly carried out.
3.) Office Management - 20%:
- Maintain appropriate filing system, accountable stationary register, and asset register (in liaison with the facilities & Procurement Officer), so that all contracts, reports and correspondence are filed properly, and all stationary and equipment are recorded correctly.
Main duties include:
- Ensure that all documents are accurately filed
- Ensure accountable stationary register is up to date
- Ensure asset register reflects all items of equipment in the office.
- Ensure that stock card is maintained for the recharge cards.
4.) Procurement - 15%:
- Liaise with all outside contractors and service suppliers concerning all services/utilities supplied to the regional office. Order all stationary and replenishables (tea items and recharge cards) for the regional offices. Liaising with NSRP Facilities & Procurement Officer.
Main Duties include:
- Ensure that all procurement are in line with NSRP procurement policy
- Ensure that purchase orders (PO) are raised before any services are carried out or goods are supplied by selected vendors, and all payments and approvals are in line with NSRP policy and delegation of authority
5.) IT Management - 15%:
- Assist with the maintenance of regional office IT infrastructures liaising with J4A IT Manager.
Main Duties include:
- Ensure that regional IT equipment are properly maintained and serviced when due
- Ensure that regional GTI laptops are functioning well and that regional staff have appropriate access
- Escalate on timely basis any IT issues to be resolved
- Internal: Regional Managers, Security Coordinator, Facilities & Procurement Officer, Logistician, Regional Programme Officers, Driver/Office Assistants.
- External: External relationship management where appropriate (i.e. linked to function of role), to include:consultants, suppliers, external partner organisations, etc.
Other important features or requirements of the job
- Periodic travel to high-risk areas is likely to be necessary following close liaison with British High Commission /BC/DFID. Regular unsocial and over-hours will be required to meet operational requirements of the post and programme.
- Carry out other duties not specifically stated in the Resources Assistant’s role profile as may be required by the North East Regional Coordinator and the Facilities & Procurement Manager
Method of Application
To apply, visit British Council Career Page
Click here to download job details (PDF)
Click here to download BC Behaviour (pdf)