International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is an international non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization established in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and a member of the CGIAR Consortium. Our R4D approach is anchored on the development needs of the tropics. We work with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa.
The program requires a uniquely qualified leader who:
- Is able to develop and execute a vision for how aflasafe will be responsibly transferred to the partners best placed to put in the hands of the maximum numbers of farmers.
- Is able to effectively manage a diverse team of 10-20 professionals working across 11 African countries.
- And is able to effectively communicate and coordinate across a diverse set of stakeholders including private sector companies on the potential commercial opportunity, host governments about the pressing public health need, and donor contributors about the strategic choices being made to ensure maximum impact.
- The Managing Director will report to the Aflasafe Advisory Board, composed of representatives of IITA, the donors, host country governments and private sector partners.
- BA required, MA/MBA preferred in Agribusiness, Strategy, Finance or related field.
- 10+ years of professional experience, with a preference for a mix of private and public/non-profit sector experience and a focus on agribusiness in Africa.
- Excellent oral and written communication in English required, French and other African languages a plus.
- Demonstrated excellence in leading complex initiatives, preferably across a number of cultural contexts and/or countries in Africa, experience leading teams preferable.
- Demonstrated ability to develop a compelling profitable business case, preferably in an agribusiness context.
- Experience on multi-stakeholder strategy development a plus.
- Experience working with international donors and national governments on high-profile deliverables preferable.
The contract will be for an initial period of three years with possibility of renewal for two additional years based on performance and availability of funding. IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
Method of Application
To apply, visit IITA Career Page