International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is an international non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization established in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and a member of the CGIAR Consortium. Our R4D approach is anchored on the development needs of the tropics. We work with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa.
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Assist in packaging and processing maize trials;
- Participate in the conduct of research experiments at different sites;
- Assist in data collection, planting and harvesting of maize trials;
- Assist in seed production,
- Drive SARD-SC (Maize) Country Coordinator and convey research materials to all research and development locations;
- Perform other duties assigned by the supervisor.
- O’Level certificate with 3 years experience performing similar role.
- A valid driver’s licence is essential
- Have basic knowledge of crop management operations.
- Be able to work with little or no supervision.
- We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
go to method of application »
This position is under the Nigeria Agricultural Transformation Agenda Support Program-Phase I Outreach (ATASP-I Outreach) funded by African Development Bank (AfDB). The ATASP-I Outreach will contribute to the objectives of the Agricultural Transformation Agenda (ATA) of the Federal Government of Nigeria by addressing the constraints of Rice, Sorghum and Cassava value chains in four staple crop processing zones of Adani-Omor, Bida-Badeggi. Kano-Jigawa and Kebbi-Sokoto. The Program comprises three complementary and mutually reinforcing components via; Infrastructure Development; Commodity Value Chain Development; and Programme Management. The specific objective of the programme is to: contribute to food and nutrition security, employment generation, and wealth creation along the priority commodity value chains.
- The successful candidate will work in direct liaison with the other centers (IITA and ICRISAT) M & E officers, AfDB contract staff, and will report to the AfricaRice Regional Representative through the rice commodity specialist.
- The M & E Specialist will be responsible for the development and application of appropriate M & E methods and tools for all activities of the ATASP-1 project.
- He/she shall coordinate the process of data collection, analyses, report writing and gathering of information necessary for ascertaining the attainment of the project objectives.
- He/she will coordinate M&E activities closely with the AfricaRice M&E expert based at AfricaRice HQ in terms of methodology to ensure coherence of approaches across AfricaRice and across the project.
Information Collection and Analyses
- Explore and gather information from various sources including participatory field exercises, field surveys and interviews, project documents, Reports of National Bureau of statistics (NBS), National Planning Commission (NPC), AfDB official reports, FAO and World Bank reports on Nigeria Economic and Agricultural sectors.
- Develop and manage project database in a manner that will be easily retrievable by staff and partners. These shall include the baseline and all subsequent data or information generated through project implementation, economic and statistical analysis of the rice commodity value chain.
- In collaboration with other project staff, establish relevant indicators including local criteria and indicators for the monitoring and evaluation of Rice Value Chain Development and Socio-Organizational improvements in project areas.
- Generate relevant data in close collaboration with other project staff like the Agronomist, Seed Systems Specialist and Rice Commodity Specialist on the agronomic, socio-economic, cultural and institutional aspects of rice value chain development in the target Rice Hubs.
- Collate and analyze data/ information for annual and periodic assessment of AfricaRice-ATASP’s project outputs.
Monitoring and Training:
- Plan and implement activities related to the monitoring of project activities based on pre-established indicators at household, groups and field levels in all project areas.
- Plan and organize meetings and fora for dialogue that results in information gathering and monitoring with farmers and other rice sector stakeholders.
- Prepare monitoring schedules, action plans to track and follow-up all input data/ information as well as ensure the integration of all data.
- Build capacity for project staff involved in M & E data collection.
Project Evaluation and Training:
- Supervise as may be required, in conjunction with engaged consultants and the AfDB project task officer, field surveys on aspects of project outcomes.
- Draw important lessons from project implementation and organize annual M & E review meetings with leaders of farmer groups, district and other project implementation team.
Report and Narratives Writing:
- Undertake periodic reporting on M&E of the project in accordance with established reporting format, schedules and periodicity for project management and donors’ interest.
- Write monitoring reports for use of project implementation team and donors.
- Review recommendations of the Annual Program Review (APR), identify needs and define actions to address bottlenecks and problems in project implementation.
Feedback and Accountability:
- Make periodic reports to the project managers as may be required for program documentation and reporting to partners.
- Contribute to AfricaRice periodic and annual planning process by furnishing timely information on the M & E aspects of the ATASP-1 project.
- Coordinate activities closely with the AfricaRice M&E expert in terms of methodology to ensure coherence of approaches across AfricaRice and across the project.
Qualification and Experience
- At least M.Sc. in any of the Social Sciences, Agricultural Economics, Statistics, or related discipline. Specialized post graduate training in project management/M&E.
- Minimum of 5 years working experience in bilateral or multilateral donor-funded programs with at least 3 years of specific responsibility as M&E specialist.
- Demonstrable ability to establish priorities and to plan, co-ordinate, and monitor his or her own work and to collaborate with colleagues across operating units
- Demonstrable ability to work under pressure and achieve results under tight deadlines
- Self-motivated team player
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft Excel, MS Access, and MS Project is essential
- Ability to develop, install and manage databases
- Proficiency in English language with excellent writing and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with, and working knowledge of, project logical framework to track inputs process, output and impacts are essential.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include either the Head of applicant's current or previous organization or applicant's direct Supervisor/Superior officer at work and evidence of current remuneration package.
Visit IITA Career Page to apply online
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.