If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The African Reinsurance Corporation (Africa Re) is a pan-African financial institution with diplomatic status in its current 41 African member countries. Headquartered in Lagos (Nigeria), Africa Re has a continental network of regional and local offices in Lagos (Nigeria), Casablanca (Morocco), Nairobi (Kenya), Abidjan (Cote d'lvoire), Ebene (Mauritius), Cairo (Egypt) and Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) as well as two subsidiaries: Africa Re (South Africa) Ltd in Johannesburg and Africa Retakaful Ltd in Cairo (Egypt).
Reporting directly to the Regional Director of Anglophone West Africa Regional Office, the successful candidate will service the underwriting requirements and manage the business relationships of markets handled by the region in order to achieve production and profitability targets.
The duties of the Treaty & Facultative Underwriter shall comprise amongst others:
- Soliciting and receiving business offers from clients, assessing such offers according to the Corporation's underwriting guidelines and determining whether or not to accept the offer.
- Monitoring and reviewing overall performance and profitability of companies serviced with a view of taking corrective measures where necessary in order to achieve overall targets of the Regional Office.
- Preparing cover notes and treaty wordings for individual companies using the Corporation's standard wordings.
- Ensuring regular and timely documentations of new and renewed businesses including maintenance of proper records of all business offers received in line with office procedures and guidelines.
- Ensuring prompt settlement of all claims that have met the Corporation's guidelines.
- Visiting the various markets with the aim of prospecting for new businesses and for renewal of existing businesses as well as obtaining market information/statistics for the corporation's strategic and operational use.
- Attending to clients' needs, correspondences, social and business functions and other related activities for the overall marketing effectiveness.
- Providing training for staff and clients on regular basis.
- Following up on collection of premium for the managed portfolio and supporting the Finance & Accounts Department in achieving the overall financial targets.
- Attending to any other duties as may be assigned by the Regional Director.
Main Competencies Required for this Position
- In-depth knowledge of appropriate insurance and reinsurance principles, practices and laws as applicable to different lines of business;
- Advanced skills and knowledge of insurance/reinsurance and claims principles, practices and procedures;
- Good analytical skills and ability to interpret clauses in insurance and reinsurance contracts;
- Strong exposure to/experience of Anglophone West Africa reinsurance markets;
- Ability to quickly build very good and sustainable relationship with clients and brokers;
- Excellent oral and written communication, including Negotiation, Presentation and Training skills;
- Good supervisory skills and capacity for taking initiatives and decisions;
- Disciplined, Reliable, with very high Integrity and good sense of responsibility;
- Good skills in business software tools (MS Office) is required; Knowledge of other business-related software will be an added advantage.
Qualifications and Professional Experience
Applicants shall be holders of:
- First University Degree plus Master's in relevant fields (Economics, Management, or Engineering) plus 5 years post qualification relevant qualitative work-related experience with emphasis on reinsurance underwriting (both Treaty and Facultative) and claims management.
- First University Degree in relevant fields (Economics, Management or Engineering) plus full professional qualification, plus 5 years post qualification relevant qualitative work-related experience with emphasis on reinsurance underwriting (both Treaty and Facultative); reinsurance pricing; claims management.
- First University Degree in relevant fields (Economics, Management or Engineering) plus 7 years post qualification relevant qualitative work-related experience with emphasis on reinsurance underwriting (both Treaty and Facultative) and claims management.
- Professional Qualification is in Insurance or Actuarial Sciences
- Relevant work experience in a Reinsurance Company or Reinsurance Department of an Insurance Company is a must.
- The ideal candidate should have 5 years&' experience of Insurance/Reinsurance underwriting and claims management.
Applicants must also be:
- Fluent English language
- Working knowledge of French will be an added advantage
- Below 40 years of age
Remuneration and Benefits
The successful candidate shall have the following benefits:
- Competitive Basic Salary on the Corporation's Grade Level PS1
- Variable pay (Annual Performance Bonus)
- Joint contribution to the Provident Fund (7% of the basic salary paid by staff and 14% by the employer)
- Children education subsidy for each child up to 26 years (maximum 4 children)
- Medical cover for staff and family;
- Housing Allowance
- Exemption from taxes and duties (diplomatic status of an international civil servant) — if non-Nigerian National;
- Home leave to country of origin paid by the employer (if non-Nigerian National);
- Duty Post Differential (Cost of Living Allowance), that may increase or decrease depending on the economic situation, paid in local currency.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should visit Africa Re Career Page