UN Women - In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. In doing so, UN Member States took an historic step in accelerating the Organization's goals on gender equality and the empowerment of women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system, which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Type of Contract: Internship
Post Level: Intern
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 23-Nov-2015
Duration of Initial Contract: 6 months
Expected Duration of Assignment: 6 months
- The Nigerian office of UN Women is currently implementing an EU-funded Programme “Promoting Women’s Engagement in Peace and Security in Northern Nigeria”, which supports the Federal Government, three Northern States of Nigeria, and selected constituted Local Government Areas (LGAs) to strengthen women’s leadership, advance gender equality and improve protection for women and children in conflict settings.
- The three northern states are Plateau, Gombe and Adamawa.
The Programme is composed of three inter-locked components, each with their own specific objective:
- Strengthening women’s role in conflict prevention, peace-making and peace building;
- Mitigating the impact of conflict upon women and girls;
- Establishing a conducive environment for the implementation of UNSCR 1325 and monitoring of gender equality commitments in Nigeria.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with Deputy Programme Manager for the effective management of the Communications and Visibility component of the programme;
- Help and learn how to strengthen the Communication and Visibility partnership with stakeholders (including print and electronic media organizations/ professionals) at all levels on the programme;
- Assist in strengthening strategic Visibility and Communication initiatives with Government Officials, Multilateral and Bilateral Donors, Civil Society Organizations, Community Leaders, Private sector and Media Organizations, among others;
- Regularly assist in updating the Programme website, linked to the knowledge management platform and WPS Community of Practice to be established;
- Assist in publishing and updating Programme information on UN Women and UN Women West and Central Africa websites, as well as on the UN and UNDP blog, the UNICEF country office page, UNICEF connect blog and the EU-UNICEF web portal, and other appropriate platforms;
- Help document and widely disseminate success stories, lessons learnt, and best practices from the project in print and electronically, including photos, infographics, small video clips, DVDs and documentaries of selected Programme initiatives;
- Assist and learn how to compile Program Reports, including Newsletters and disseminate widely to stakeholders, partners and target beneficiaries;
- Perform any other related activity that may be assigned by the Management Team.
Core Values and Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
- Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Development and Innovation:
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
Work in teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards other.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to build trust;
- Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams, delivering through and with others;
- Writing skills that include an attention to detail as well as a grasp of conceptual frameworks;
- Excellent communication, reporting and capacity building skills;
- Strong computer skills, including word processing, presentation packages (Power Point), Internet, etc;
- In addition, a basic familiarity with Web design, DreamWorks, Acrobat, and other web site design software is highly desired;
- Strong skills in the application of communication technologies;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and in a team.
Required Skills and Experience
- The intern must have studies in Mass Communication, Journalism, any Arts or Social Science or other similar subject at the university level;
- Be enrolled in a Graduate School Programme (Second University Degree or equivalent);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a First University Degree Programme (minimum Bachelor's Level or equivalent); Have Graduated with a University Degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of Graduation.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English are required;
- Working knowledge of another UN language a distinct advantage.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should visit UN Women Career Page on UNDP
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale