Mott MacDonald is a global management, engineering and development consultancy adding value for public and private clients on agenda-setting, next-generation projects worldwide. We use our ingenuity to save our customers money and time, reduce risks, increase efficiency, maximise sustainable outcomes and advance best practice.
We do this through innovative thinking and by mobilising cross-sector, international perspectives, drawing on the immense talent and energy of our people – designers, engineers, project and programme managers, management consultants, environmentalists, planners, economists, business strategists, infrastructure finance advisors, public private partnership experts, cost consultants, low carbon specialists, technology experts, safety advisors, health and education specialists, development policy advisors and more.
The Education Sector Support Programme in Nigeria (ESSPIN) is a UK government funded programme designed to provide strategic technical assistance to support systemic education reform in primary schools at Federal level and in six key states over 8.5 years.
The Finance Officer will be responsible for the day-to-day management of finances within Kaduna as applicable, in accordance with Cambridge Education systems and procedures and consistent with the client’s requirements. The Finance Officer will receive an induction in Kaduna and at our head office in Abuja to ensure that s/he is fully conversant with Cambridge Education (CE) systems and procedures.
- Work in accordance with the project accounting handbook to administer programme funds at Kaduna State level;
- In consultation with the Kaduna State Team Leader and the Deputy Finance Manager, produce regular rolling quarterly and monthly forecasts and submit monthly site returns to the Deputy Finance Manager in Abuja to feed into the monthly reconciliation and invoicing processes;
- Maintain up-to-date project accounts on the system to ensure that timely, accurate and appropriate information is available to the programme management team;
- Liaise with administrative and technical teams to ensure accurate forecasting and prompt disbursement and reconciliation of expenditure;
- Supervise preparation of all payment vouchers, journal vouchers and cheques and ensure the timely settlement of all undisputed sub-contractor invoices;
- Support the disbursement of funds for workshops and related activities, and the reconciliation of such disbursement
- Monitor expenditure and advise the State Team Leader and Deputy Finance Manager of potential issues with regards to forecasting, disbursement or accounting;
- Maintain a petty cash register and supervise the imprest accounts for Kaduna based staff;
- Establish good and considerate working relationships with all staff within the programme, demonstrating respect for their own roles and responsibilities.
This job description reflects the present requirements of the post. As duties and responsibilities change and develop the job description will be reviewed and be subject to amendment in consultation with the post holder.
Extent of authority
Supporting the Kaduna State Team Leader and the Deputy Finance Manager, the post holder will be responsible for assisting with all financial management within Kaduna and will therefore be responsible for supervising other staff in this regard.
Special relationships and contacts
Establish and maintain good working relationships with all programme staff at State level and in the Abuja head office.
- Excellent financial management/ accountancy skills;
- Good IT skills and confidence/proficiency in all Microsoft packages, and the ability to master CE in-house financial management system, FiFi;
- Attention to detail and accuracy;
- Ability to think ahead
- Willingness to be flexible and respond in a timely manner to support colleagues in Kaduna head office and State Offices when the need requires;
- May undertake periodic travel to Abuja and/or other State Offices for financial team meetings.
- Required academic/professional qualifications, training and experience
- Educated to degree standard or equivalent; with minimum of two years working experience;
- Relevant professional qualification (i.e. ACCA, CIM, etc.) is an added advantage;
- Previous experience working in a large donor funded programme;
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
go to method of application »
The Cambridge Education-managed Education Sector Support in Nigeria (ESSPIN) programme a UK government-funded programme designed to provide strategic technical assistance to support education reform at federal level and in six lead states. It is one of several education programmes managed by Cambridge Education and the Mott MacDonald group in Nigeria.
Drivers will be expected to provide driving support to the state teams as well as other short term and long term technical specialists thereby aiding in the delivery of each Programme's goals and objectives. The drivers and fleet of vehicles form a major part of the programmes’ support teams, and professional drivers are integral to the successful delivery of the logistics plan of each programme.
- Provide a courteous and efficient service to all internal/external customers, and is a valuable first point of contact for external customers visiting the state/country;
- Perform daily vehicle checks and report maintenance needs promptly;
- Drive carefully and safely at all times in line with international driving standards, and complete and record checks to ensure that passengers, other road users and the vehicle in the driver's care are safe;
- Ensure that all vehicle reports are duly approved and prepared on a monthly basis; records of mileage, fuel and maintenance costs made available to supervisor on or before scheduled dates;
- Maintain a professional appearance by ensuring good personal hygiene, and wear a clean and ironed uniform at all times;
- Ensure that adequate knowledge of the destination and route is gathered before departure;
- Maintain assigned vehicle in a clean and roadworthy state at all times;
- Ensure that approval for repairs is always obtained before taking the vehicle to the garage;
- Ensure adherence to transport policy on vehicle usage;
- Establishes good and considerate working relationships with all staff in the organisation, demonstrating respect for their own roles and responsibilities;
- Be available outside standard hours in case of emergency and during missions;
- Undertake missions work in provinces other than normal location with overnight allowance if necessary;
- Approval of overtime should always be given before overtime hours are taken;
- Ensure compliance with local administrative procedures required in the event of an accident;
- Be responsible for in-vehicle equipment;
- Valid category B driving license
- Demonstrable defensive driving skills (in town and on dirt roads);
- Good communication skills;
- Basic routine maintenance and vehicle handling skills;
- Excellent knowledge of the city and major motorways in Nigeria and Kano State in particular;
- Willingness to be flexible and prepared to contribute to the company in other duties as required
Required academic/professional qualifications, training and experience
- Minimum of OND;
- Certified Professional driving training (preferred);
- Fluent English & local language;
- Previous experience of working within a multi-national team or project environment is highly desirable;
- Excellent knowledge of the city and major motorways in Nigeria;
- Significant professional driving experience.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click on preferred job titles to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.