If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Within these three core areas of expertise, UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices in development, humanitarian and peacebuilding contexts, always satisfying or surpassing partner expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it. A flexible structure and global reach means we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Vacancy code VA/2015/B5314/8410
Position title Waste Management Specialist/Consultant
Department/office AFO, GHOH, Ghana
Duty station Home base/Field work, Nigeria
Contract type International ICA
Contract level IICA-3
Duration 3 months
Application period 02-Sep-2015 to 12-Sep-2015
UNOPS Ghana Operational Hub (GHOH), located in Accra, spans across West Africa, covering Ghana, Gambia, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone
GHOH is responsible for managing strategic and operational risks associated with a subset of the regional portfolio of engagements, developing and delivering cost effective services contributing to partners’ sustainable results and achievements of UNOPS management results.
The core functions of the Operational Hub are to:
- Liaise and develop engagements, and deliver services responding to partner needs.
- Leverage advice and integrate delivery modalities of the three Delivery Practices and the Global Partner Service Office.
- Maintain appropriate arrangements and capacity for direct transactional support for delivery of the sub-regional portfolio.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Head of Office, the Waste Management Specialist/Consultant provides a variety of assessment of the waste management situation in the selected State in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria. He will support te design of a sustainable waste management master plan for the State.
The Waste Management Specialist/Consultant reports to the Head of Office who provides broad supervision and guidance. Specifically, the Waste Management Specialist /Consultant, inter alia, the following duties and responsibilities:
Summary of function
1. In the assessment of the Waste Management situation in the State, the consultancy would:
2. To support the development of a sustainable waste master plan for the State, the consultancy would:
- Provide a description of the current framework on waste management in the State
- Assess the institutional capacity of the Waste Management Board of the State
- Conduct Field assessment of select municipalities and cities to determine the quantities and types of waste produced, availability of landfills and recycling facilities and potential partnerships to improve waste management services in the State
Expected results are:
- Define the framework and scope of the waste management programme
- Design an effective waste collection and disposal programme
- Design an effective waste treatment and recycling programme
- Propose adequate measures for toxic/hazardous waste management
- Propose a methodology to ensure a long –term sustainability of waste management
- Identify potential environmental and social impacts of the proposed initiatives
The team is expected to work within a 12-week timeframe and deliver two (2) reports, namely:
Impact of Results
- Assessment report of the waste management situation in the select State (6-8 weeks)
- A Sustainable Waste Management Master plan (10 – 12 weeks)
- Timely and qualitative reporting
The key results have an impact on the overall Operational Hub Office efficiency in Project implementation, particularly focusing on waste management. Accurate, thoroughly researched and documented information, its dissemination, timely and appropriate delivery of works to ensure client satisfaction and maintains high staff morale. It enhances credibility of UNOPS as an effective and efficient organization in the quality practice for the infrastructure sector.
UNOPS Core Values/ Competencies
- Respect for diversity
- Creativity and innovation
- Commitment to continuous Learning
- Planning and organization skills
- Results orientation
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Teamwork skills
- Client orientation
- Technological awareness
- Encourages office staff to share knowledge and contribute to practice areas
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
- Demonstrates strong coaching/mentoring skills, regularly providing helpful feedback and advice to others in the office
- Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Master's degree or equivalent in Engineering preferably environmental engineering and or specialization waste management related field. Applicants with a Bachelor’s Degree with additional two years of relevant working experience may also be considered.
- 7 years of waste management field experience is required at the national or international level of which at least 3 in providing similar related services within the public sector. Previous work experience in West Africa/Nigeria is highly desirable. Strong IT skills and experience in web based management is required.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: International Individual Contract Agreement
- Contract level: IICA -3
- Contract duration: 3 Months
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.