The Secretariat of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) is located in the city of Vienna, Austria. It is the sole office of the Organization.
The Secretariat primarily carries out analytical research and public relations activities. It is not involved in oil production.
The OPEC Secretariat is always looking for talented and qualified individuals to join its multinational team, aiming at securing the highest standards of competency and efficiency to meet the standards required by its Member Countries. It currently employs 139 people from 38 countries around the world from scientific, technical, managerial and professional backgrounds. In addition to competitive employment packages, it offers a rich multicultural work environment with English being the official working language
Objective of Position:
The Environmental Coordinator is to coordinate the activities of the Unit to fulfill its objectives. Under the supervision of the Director, Research Division, he/she is to study and analyse national and multilateral environmental policies and assess their impact on energy developments, in particular on the medium- to long-term oil outlook and on OPEC, study and analyse developments in the global and multilateral debate on climate change, evaluate the impact on OPEC and contribute to the coordination of OPEC Member Countries’ positions in international fora on issues pertaining to environment in general and to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) negotiations in particular.
1. Coordinates the activities of the Unit in line with its objectives;
2. Studies and analyses developments in the international debate on environmental issues related to the energy industry and in particular the activities related to the UNFCCC and its subsidiary bodies and the Kyoto Protocol;
3. Responsible for preparing for and attending UNFCCC meetings and reporting on these;
4. Assesses the impact of changes in environmental policies in consuming countries on the medium- and long-term development of the world petroleum industry;
5. Conducts studies relevant to the subject of environment as it affects the energy sector in general and oil in particular;
6. Contributes to the coordination of Member Countries' positions concerning environmental issues;
7. Contributes to speeches, articles and presentations to internal meetings and various international forums.
Required Competencies and Qualifications:
Status and Benefits:
Members of the Secretariat are international employees whose responsibilities are not national but exclusively international. In carrying out their functions they have to demonstrate the personal qualities expected of international employees such as integrity, independence and impartiality.
The post is at grade D reporting to the Director of Research Division. The compensation package, including expatriate benefits, is commensurate with the level of the post.
Applicants must be nationals of Member Countries of OPEC and should not be older than 58 years. Applicants are requested to fill in a résumé and an application form which can be received from their Country’s Governor for OPEC. In order for applications to be considered, they must reach the OPEC Secretariat through the relevant Governor not later than 25 September 2015.
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.