WHO is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Vacancy Notice No: AF_WSR/15/TA207
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Organization unit: AF_WSR AF West Sub-Region (AF_WSR) / AF_NGA Nigeria (AF_NGA)
Contract type: Temporary appointment
Objective of the Programme
- To support national authorities reduce morbidity, disability and mortality due to vaccine preventable diseases by improving access and utilization of immunization services;
- Accelerating efforts to achieve polio eradication, measles control, maternal and neonatal tetanus elimination, yellow fever control;
- Promoting innovations including introduction of new and under-utilized vaccines;
- Improving vaccine safety and security and systematizing access to immunization services integrated with other child survival interventions.
Description of Duties
- Under the overall supervision of the WHO Country Representative and direct supervision of IVD Focal Point, the Technical Officer - GIS performs the following duties:
- Coordinate and support the data management team in incorporating GIS technology into routine data collection, analysis and reporting
- Implement the application of GIS for data collection and vaccination team tracking
- Coordinate and support in the development of advanced analytical tools to compare multiple indicators at the lowest geographical level (settlement, Ward, LGA, etc.)
- Support partner agencies in developing geo-databases and creating meaningful analyses and reports
- Provide special GIS-related reports and analyses as required by WHO and partners
- Support efforts aimed at building the capacity of WHO staff and partners on the application of GIS tools to support polio, routine immunization, and other public health programs.
- Support efforts aimed at strengthening partnership, advocacy and resource mobilization strategies for the immunization/polio eradication programme in Nigeria.
- Perform other activities as required by WHO Representative
- Essential: Advanced University Degree in Geographic Information Systems or a related field with training in ARC-GIS software
- Desirable: Experience in GIS software application in public health related areas
Verification of Educational qualifications
- "In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position.
- WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually.
- Essential: At least 7 years of experience in data management in incorporating GIS technology into routine data collection, analysis and reporting.
- Desirable: WHO or international organization experience in the health sector specifically with communicable disease and/or immunization programs in developing country.
- Managerial skills and ability to manage health related data and reports
Managerial Skills and Experience:
- Computer skills including MS Word, Excel, Access, and Power Point and ERP systems
- Willing and able to travel extensively in Nigeria
- Communicates in a credible and effective way;
- Produces results;
- Fosters integration and teamwork;
- Creates an empowering and motivating environment;
- Ensures the effective use of resources;
- Essential: Excellent knowledge of English
- Desirable: Knowledge of the other UN languages .
- WHO's salaries are calculated in US dollars. They consist of a base salary and a post adjustment (for international positions only) which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station and exchange rates.
- Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, home travel (for international positions only), education grant for dependent children (for international positions only), pension plan and medical insurance [NB: to be adjusted to the standard VN for posts in the general service category].
- Annual salary: (Net of tax)
- USD 68294 at single rate
- USD 73338 with primary dependants
- 68.3 % of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should clickhere to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.