The QED Group, LLC, is a full-service international consulting firm committed to solving complex global challenges through innovative solutions. We are determined to provide all our clients with best-value services so they increase their efficiency, learning capacity, and accountability to the public in an ever more complex and interconnected world.
About the Program
esident Advisors (RA) are needed under the International Technical, Operational, and Professional Support Services Project to implement and develop the field epidemiology training program to strengthen Nigeria’s capacity to prevent, respond and contain disease threats. This position will run from September 2015 through September 2016 and will be based in Abuja, Nigeria.
Objectives of the program include:
- Train and mentor Ministry of Health (MOH) personnel to improve disease surveillance, detection, and response to outbreaks by providing classroom training in applied epidemiology and leading applied activities and field investigations.
- Build self-sustaining institutionalized capacity in country.
- Collaborate with ongoing efforts of other USG and non-USG partners in country to strengthen disease surveillance, response efforts, biosecurity/biosafety, and workforce capacity, and assist the country in reaching Global Health Security and International Health Regulation goals
- Ensure continued support of Ministries of Health and engage local counterparts.
- Work with technical staff at CDC, the Ministry of Health and other partners in country to develop and implement a training plan for field epidemiology for public health professional at the basic and intermediate levels.
- Travel to the field (local sites within country) to conduct trainings and assist with participants’ investigations and field work.
- Travel to CDC Atlanta to attend the FETP 5-day retreat
- Travel to CDC Atlanta to attend a two-week orientation session
- Review and adapt the existing Basic and Intermediate Field Epidemiology curriculum as may be required in consultation with CDC, the Ministry of Health, WHO, and other partners in country.
- Liaise with Ministry of Health to identify participants for the basic and intermediate field epidemiology trainings.
- Collaborate with MOH to convene a Steering Committee to guide program implementation.
- Coordinate with CDC and identified partners to ensure logistical support for the didactic and field trainings of selected participants is in place.
- Conduct the planned basic and intermediate field epidemiology trainings together with Ministry of Health, CDC, and identified partners.
- Mentor and supervise participants of the basic and intermediate programs.
- Train MOH supervisors and mentors of the basic and intermediate participants.
- Guide participants in preparing their presentations for dissemination of their findings and recommendations.
- Assist national health authorities to develop adequate and timely field investigations in response to acute public health problems such as epidemic outbreaks, clusters of disease cases, and case investigations.
- Advise MOH in the identification and acquisition of opportunities for participant projects, and sources of funding that help secure annual budgets for the adequate development of an institutionalized FETP.
- Assist mentors and participants in the intermediate program with the design and implementation of applied epidemiological research projects.
- Assist with the selection and training of graduates as mentors for future participants.
- Coordinate the organization and facilitation of stakeholder and dissemination meetings in country.
- Participate in disease surveillance and outbreak investigation and response activities of the Ministry of Health together with graduates and participants.
- Work with MOH and other training institutions to integrate basic and intermediate field epidemiology curriculum into an in-service program for MOH staff.
- Provide technical assistance to the MOH.
- Liaison between CDC, the MOH, and partners to coordinate GHS activities in the country.
- Conduct periodic Steering Committee meetings to guide program implementation
- Periodic (monthly or as otherwise agreed upon) calls with country support staff in headquarters
Minimum Qualifications and/or Certifications
- Masters or Doctoral-level professional degree in academic fields related to health or allied sciences, preferably in human and veterinary medicine, or zoonotic biology.
- Graduate from a Field Epidemiology Training Program (FETP) OR at least two years’ experience in Field Epidemiology Training Program or a similar field epidemiology service.
- 1-2 years of experience working in the field as a practicing epidemiologist
- Knowledge of WHO standards and policies such as the Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response strategy (IDSR) and International Health Regulations.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of the functionality of surveillance systems at national, sub national, local and community levels of the health systems in country.
- Experience in preparing and facilitating trainings for in -service public health workforce development initiatives.
- Experience in coordinating multi-agency public health programs at regional, national, sub national, local levels.
- Experience with adult education strategies
- Problem based education techniques,
- Instructional design,
- Teaching epidemiology and basic public health statistics,
- Public health management and program design,
- Communication and advocacy in public health.
Method of Application
To apply to this position please click here and follow the application instructions below.
1. Submit your current resume and cover letter.
2. Complete and submit the attached 1420 biodata sheet.
3. Complete and submit the attached Voluntary Self-ID Form.
Applications submitted by other means will not be considered. Please note only finalists will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Accessibility Notice: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: Recruitment@QEDGroupLLC.com. Reasonable accommodation requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
The QED Group, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EEO/M/F/D
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale