Accion is an innovator in financial access, pioneering many of the best practices and emerging standards in the industry. It provides a full range of management services, technical assistance and training, as well as investment and governance support to help financial institutions build institutional capacity and financial strength in order to serve low-income households on a broad scale. Over the past 50 years, Accion has helped to build and strengthen some of the most successful microfinance institutions (MFIs) in the world.
Our impact investing initiatives are pushing beyond microfinance to catalyze more than 20 innovative start-ups dedicated to improving the efficiency, reach and scope of financial services for the poor. And our Center for Financial Inclusion is helping to build a stronger industry with high standards. Currently, our work spans nearly two dozen countries, including the U.S., where we are the nation's largest nonprofit microfinance network. For further information, visit accion.org.
Accion is deploying a Resident Advisor to be placed at its partner Accion Microfinance Bank (AMfB) for a period of two years. The bank is preparing itself for regional expansion, through revised business processes and product offerings as well as expanding to new geographical locations with a combination of more innovative delivery channels. It will focus more on developing all Regional Managers so that they will be able to manage their regions effectively with minimum supervision and involvement of the Head Office. Under the supervision of the Chief Commercial Officer, and support from the Accion management and Accion technical advisors teams, the Resident Advisor will focus his/her efforts in four key areas including: i) supporting the Regional Manager in ensuring an effective Regional Expansion through branches or service points in the regions, including but not limited to, feasibility studies, branch opening projections, products & services with appropriate channels and technology options; ii) Supporting Regional staffing, coaching, and mentoring of Regionals Managers, training plans for Regional teams; iii) Supporting the Chief Commercial Officer in ensuring that the Bank’s policies are adhered to and methodology and products are implemented as defined by the bank; iv) Provide support/guidance to the Regional Managers to achieve business growth by achieving the targets set for the regions and branches. The Resident Advisor will collaborate with the Accion Technical Assistance Teams. He/she will also be supported by the Accion Management Team at AMfB and other Resident Advisors.
- Supporting the Chief Commercial Manager in implementing the bank’s Regional Expansion strategy. Coordinate particularly with the Operations Teams and other related parties to ensure the Bank’s Regional Expansion plans and targets are achieved. Support Regional Managers in developing, reviewing, and implementing Regional Expansion templates, taking into consideration regulatory and legal compliances as required.
- Develop training and coaching plans in liaison with AMfB HR for Regional Managers and/or Branch managers and implement by providing on the job training, coaching, and mentoring for all new Regional Managers and/or new Branch managers of the bank leading to efficient and effective management of these specific Regions branches across the bank. He/she will provide feedback to the Chief Commercial Officer (CCO) regarding the performance of these Regional Managers and/or Branch managers. Support the CCO in ensuring that all acting and incumbent Regional and/or Branch managers reach the required performance level within the first 6 month probation period.
- Support the Regional Managers in ensuring that the Bank’s Policies and Procedures are adhered to and providing recommendations for improvement / review of key policies and procedures. Work with Regional Control Teams to ensure appropriate credit methodology audits are conducted and shared with Head Office and all other stakeholders.
- Support the Regional Managers in achieving growth targets and support them in developing strategies to meet these targets as appropriate. Support the marketing and product managers in the implementation of new and revised products and processes, working with the Product development and Channels Teams, ensuring that the various bank’s products and services are appropriately delivered and monitored including changes as required. Monitoring implementation of deposit mobilization, credit products delivery, channels uptake and usage and loan recovery.
- Other: Participate in Commercial department management meetings and any other activities that may be required by the Bank to support the National Expansion strategy.
- Academic Bachelors degree in economics or sciences or a related field. Masters or MBA is preferred.
- At least 10-15 years of experience in banking or Microfinance, where at least 5-8 years of it serving in a senior managerial and supervisory role in charge of regional branch expansion and business growth and supervision of Regional Managers or Branch Managers in a Microfinance organisation. Prior experience at least assistant manager level in a reputable Microfinance institution is a prerequisite Previous experience in the design and delivery of financial products and services for the MSME sector.
- Previous experience in training of trainers and business planning.
- Knowledge of West Africa and ability to work in Nigerian setting would be an advantage.
- Ability to recognize opportunities and risks across operations boundaries in regions, ability to co-ordinate activities among teams across regions, ability to track product and market trends across regions, a good command of written and spoken English, good computer literacy, and strong leadership skills with proven ability to motivate, mentor, and lead a team of senior professionals.
- Excellent marketing and presentation skills.
- Excellent analytical, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Languages: English fluency.
- The Incumbent must be willing to live in Nigeria for the duration of the contract.
- Ability to operate with a minimum of on-site supervision.
Method of Application
To apply for this position, click here