Job at Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Posted on: 2 July, 2015
Deadline: 10 July, 2015
View Jobs in Government
View All Jobs at GIZ Nigeria
Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH offers customised solutions to complex challenges. We are an experienced service provider and assist the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation. We offer demand-driven, tailor-made and effective services for sustainable development.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Field of activity
- Commissioned by the federal Foreign Office (AA) the program to strengthen the capacities of police structures in Africa aims to enhance the presence of police in rural and border areas.
- The program works within fragile and post-conflict countries in Africa to professionalize and improve the performance of police institutions as well as their compliance with the rule of law.
- The police should be empowered to fulfil their primary tasks - to guarantee the people's safety - adequately.
- Thus the prerequisites for a peaceful and sustainable development can be established.
- The cooperation includes the capacity development and reform of national police institutions, the implementation of training measures as well as construction and equipment measures.
- The programme's work in Nigeria is directed towards the improvement of the investigation capacities of the police and improvements in the field of border security and control.
- Two national partner institutions have been identified: the Nigeria National Police Force (NPF) and the National Immigration Service (NIS).
- The planned measures include improving training standards within the NPF and developing coping strategies for regional security threats (e.g. transnational organized crime, terrorism) through network building with security institutions of neighbouring countries or on the regional level. (ECOWAS)
- Besides the police and the immigration service the project cooperates closely with the UN, the EU as well as other organizations and relevant donors in the area of police reform.
- The police programme Nigeria is a new project and still in its development phase.
- You will be, in coordination with the program director in Berlin, responsible for planning and implementing project measures in Nigeria.
- Some of your duties include setting up project structures, steering the project personnel and providing advisory service to national police and immigration institutions for the jointly planned support activities.
- Within the scope of project management you will be responsible for planning, implementing and monitoring project activities in cooperation with national and international partners, such as the United Nations (UNODC), the EU and other bilateral donors (GB, CH, etc.).
- Furthermore you take responsibility for the finance management and the correct handling of administrative procedures on-site.
- You will advise and organize training measures and implement equipment and smaller construction measures.
- Additionally you will build up a network in Nigeria und successfully look for cooperation partners with regard to the above mentioned measures.
- You will represent the project in Nigeria, in cooperation with the GIZ-country director and coordinate the activities with partners, donors, the German Embassy and other relevant organisations.
- Your position will also involve managing national and international staff.
- You have a relevant police-specific education or a university degree in Law, Administration, Political - or Social Science
- You have at least 5 years of professional experience, particularly in the field of political and organizational consulting.
- You have a profound knowledge of German and international development cooperation and are ideally familiar with the instruments and methods of GIZ.
- Relevant work experience in non-European countries, preferably in Africa, in the areas of peace and security, governance, vocational training or information technology is advantageous.
- You enjoy working in a team, are highly committed, and are flexible, and resilient.
- You are willing to respect the GIZ security guidelines on the job and in private.
- A good command of German and an excellent command of English are expected.
Conditions Regarding Location
- There are German, American, and French schools and a German-speaking medical service minor ailments is available.
- There is a daily direct flight between Frankfurt and Abuja.
- Travel within Nigeria and the region is planned.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team - ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should clickhere to apply online.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about GIZ NigeriaSimilar Jobs
- Executive Director at the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)
- Corporate Services HR Officer Recruitment at The British High Commission
- Chauffeur/Messenger at The Republic of Trinidad and Tobago High Commission Abuja
- Visits Officer at the British High Commission (BHC)
- U.S. Embassy Recruiting for Mail Clerk
- British High Commission (BHC) Recruiting for Chevening Scholarships Officer
- Director, Technical Services at The National Sugar Development Council
- Latest Vacancies at The West African Power Pool (WAPP)