- Participate in the identification of potential clients and partners.
- Maintain active involvement in the marketing of AFC’s products and the identification of potential deals/projects across Africa in key sectors of Power, Oil/Gas, Heavy Industries, Telecommunications and Transportation.
- Preparation of detailed project analysis and presentation materials for delivery to potential local and international clients, including pitchbooks, expressions of interest, proposals and various bidding materials as required to create investment opportunities.
- Prepare/oversee customer/company and industry research.
- Lead, oversee and participate in the commercial, technical, environmental, KYC checks and financial evaluation/ due diligence to identify key value/cost drivers, potential risks in collaboration with sector experts.
- Lead the development and analysis of detailed financial models incorporating robust sensitivity analyses; valuations of equity investments; collateral coverage assessments and returns analyses.
- Lead, participate in and/or oversee the preparation and negotioation of investmentment documentation including term sheets, facilily agreements, shareholder agreements, etc.
- Lead and participate in the preparation of AFC’s credit review documentation and present investment thesis to the Investment Committee.
- Lead/participate in the negotiation and documentation of transactions in collaboration with legal, finance and technical functions working closely with sponsors to achieve financial close.
- Proactively monitor/manage performance of assigned portfolio investments and develop strategies to mitigate ongoing risk to ensure compliance with all credit policies and procedures.
- Lead client interface, coordinating investment monitoring activities including continued engagement with sponsors, follow up on any post-closing action items, ongoing monitoring of key risks identified during due diligence, and analysis of operational and financial performance.
- Conduct financial and valuation analysis on existing equity investments for active portfolio management and advise management on interventions and/or optimal exit conditions.
- Supervise, coach and develop Analysts and Associates operating within the Division.
- Undertake ad-hoc tasks as may be assigned by senior management.
- Advanced communication and business writing skills, including ability to interface directly and effectively with senior management of potential clients.
- Detail oriented with strong organizational and time management skills as well as ability to manage multiple business priorities within a dynamic landscape.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet challenging deadlines regularly.
- Exceptional project management skills.
- Ability to originate and generate new business leads towards enhancing the overall business development efforts of the organization.
- Business development mindset with a wide network of contacts and relationships with entrepreneurs, banking and development finance institutions, private equity, corporates with a focus on infrastructure development in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Strong team work mindset, and ability to work seamlessly with staff across the organization. Willingness to support other staff to achieve corporate goals.
- High level of creativity and capacity to develop innovative ideas particularly at origination and transaction negotiation stages to ensure successful transaction closure.
- Ability to speak French and other languages used for business in Africa (Portuguese, Spanish) highly preferable.
- Self-starter with a proven ability to show initiative, shoulder responsibility and be proactive.
- charismatic, outgoing, engaging personality. Confident but humble
with exceptional work ethic, drive and leadership.
- Possess a strong record of academic achievement at the undergraduate level from a leading university in engineering/economics/finance or related discipline.
- Relevant advanced degree in Business Administration, Finance, Investments or in other related field, or a relevant professional qualification.
- Relevant certifications related to finance and/ or project management.
- Extensive experience leading infrastructure investments in Africa applying complex deal structuring to project development, project finance and equity transactions;
- Hands on experience utilizing comprehensive risk analysis and quantitaive financial modelling framework in the evaluation of transaction economics;
- Proven track record of leading negotiatons, execution and documentation of debt and equity investments.
- Typically, 8-12 years of work experience in investment banking, private equity, consulting and/or industrial conglomerate, with a minimum of 4-6 years postgraduate qualification.
- Fluency in writing and speaking English is mandatory
- French, and/or Spanish and Portuguese is desirable
• Willingness to travel “out-of-station” with minimal prior notice.