The University is located in Choba in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State, about 30 (thirty) kilometers from Port Harcourt Metropolis. The Institution was one of the seven Universities and University Colleges established by the Federal Military Government of Nigeria in 1975. Its establishment was the culmination of a long and sustained demand for a University in Port Harcourt prior to and following the Report of the Ashby Commission in 1960 which recommended the establishment of an Institute of Technology in Port Harcourt. This yearning was actualized in early 1975 when the Federal Military Government announced the establishment of seven new Conventional Universities and University College, including the University College of Port Harcourt.
On October 1, 1977, the Federal Military Government granted full University status to the University College of Port Harcourt which is now known as the University of Port Harcourt.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
- The post of the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt will become vacant in July 2015. In keeping with the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) Decree No. 11 of 1993 as amended by Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) Amendment Act No 1 of 2007 the Governing Council of the University of Port Harcourt wishes to initiate the process of filling the vacancy. Interested applicants are kindly requested to note the following information about the University:
- The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Executive, Financial and Academic Officer of the University and the Chairman of many statutory bodies. He is also a member of the Governing Council, responsible to council in matters of Policy implementation in the areas of finance, property/facilities, general administration and good governance of the University.
- The candidate for the post of Vice- Chancellor is required to possess a good University education and should be a proven, experienced and successful manager of human and material resources.
Specifically, the candidate shall be expected to:
- Be not more than 65 years as at the date of assumption of duty.
- Be a highly distinguished academic of the rank of Professor with ability to provide academic leadership. The candidate must have been in the academic environment at the tertiary level for, at least, fifteen years, not less than ten of which must be as Professor.
- Be a scholar who is well-rooted in the finest academic tradition.
- Have a high reputation and be able to command the respect of national and international academic communities through his/her trackrecord.
- Provide administrative leadership to a well-informed and articulated local academic community.
- Possess the ability to sustain harmony between administration, staff and students on the one hand and between the University and the host communities on the other.
- Be a person with initiative and vision for sustaining the accelerated pace of development of the University even under financial and other challenging constraints.
- Be a person with good grasp of information and communication technology skills and appreciates its significance in the contemporary knowledge industry.
- Be a person of probity and integrity.
- Be someone who appreciates, respects and promotes merit without fear or favour even under pressure.
- Enjoy excellent physical and mental health.
Conditions of Service
- The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of a Vice-Chancellor in all Federal Universities in Nigeria and as may be determined from time to time by Government/the Governing Council of the University.
Method of Application
Interested candidates who meet the conditions for the post as indicated here with are required to apply and comply with the following instructions:
- Each application should be made in 30 copies, including detailed Curriculum Vitae duly signed and dated by the candidate.
- Each Curriculum Vitae must include the names and addresses of three referees. Each applicant should request each of his/her referees to forward direct to the Registrar, a Confidential Report in properly sealed envelope marked “Referee Report” with the name of the candidate at the top left hand corner of the envelope.
- All applications should be submitted under confidential cover and addressed to:
The Registrar & Secretary to Council
University of Port Harcourt,
- In the case of a candidate identified and nominated by the "Search Team", each application must be accompanied by a letter of consent duly signed by the candidate.
- The Sealed Envelopes containing the applications/nominations, should be marked "Vice- Chancellor" at the top left hand corner and forwarded in time to reach the Registrar.