If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with c15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Strategically lead and manage the Infant and Child Nutrition programme in Northern Nigeria; accountable for the achievement of programme deliverables and delivery of the joint log-frame within the consortium of Save the Children and with UNICEF.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Proven ability to manage large consortiums with a minimum of 4 years experience managing multi-regional or multi-country programmes
- Demonstrable track record of meeting or exceeding programme targets, while maintaining technical quality.
- Ability to represent the nutrition programme at a strategic level and engage and influence key stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience of working with national and/or regional level government structures to strengthen the capacity of the state to take ownership for and deliver services.
- Self-motivated and results orientated.
- Highly numerically articulate with a track record of data manipulation and use of spreadsheets and reporting systems.
- Experience in management of finance and budget monitoring and risk management.
- Proven ability to motivate and develop others
- Highly diplomatic and emotionally intelligent with strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong communication, and interpersonal skills in English, with substantial experience in managing multicultural teams
- Experience of building, leading and developing a team of senior staff with different backgrounds and expertise
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy-in
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles
- Post-graduate qualification in Public Health, or Nutrition or Food Security related relevant discipline
- Substantial experience of working and living in Africa, ideally with professional experience in Nigeria
- Demonstrable understanding of Value for Money and DFID results agenda.
- Ability to coach and mentor multi-sectorial partners
go to method of application »
Under the general direction and guidance of the Director of Programme Development and Quality, the incumbent will ensure that all food security and livelihoods programming is of excellent technical quality, attracts significant donor funding and contributes to national, regional and global learning, advocacy and programme development. The post holder is expected to provide technical advice and support to project staff to ensure programming objectives are successfully achieved. The post-holder shall also contribute to the development and/review of the country strategic direction and actively lead in the development of food security and livelihood policy and programme formulation and ensure adequate integration of strategic directions and activities with the Health, Nutrition, Child Protection and Education thematic sectors.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Postgraduate qualification in discipline related to agricultural economics, development economics, agriculture, food security, social science or other relevant discipline or commensurate work experience in lieu of postgraduate qualification.
- Significant experience (at least 5 years) in food security and livelihoods programming with specific experience and/or advanced understanding of at least two (2) of the following:
- Social protection systems for vulnerable populations especially pastoral and agro-pastoral populations;
- Experience of running and monitoring cash transfer programmes;
- Designing and implementing market assessments and analysis of data collected;
- Relevant training and expertise in using Save the Children Household Economy Approach (HEA)
- Assessment of Food Security Early Warning Systems in sub-Saharan Africa
- Strong commitment to capacity building of national staff and partners with willingness to adopt a participatory and consultative management approach.
- Significant experience in relief and rehabilitation programmes in developing countries, with a focus on Food Security and Livelihoods.
- Develop market based programming promoting a better nutrition for children and livelihoods development in an integrated approach.
- Strong report writing skills, including experience in writing proposals and donor reports. For this excellent analytical skills and computer literacy is required.
- Extensive experience in data management and analysis, including data collection tools design, database design and management and data quality checks.
- Sound and mature understanding of rights-based approaches to development and participatory concepts and practical experience in similar context.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels, taking into account cultural and language difficulties with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to communicate and maintain good work relations with relevant local authorities in politically sensitive environments.
- Experience of working in insecure/conflict situations and security management.
- Willingness to travel regularly and in difficult circumstances.
- Sensitive to issues affecting children and committed to Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy.
- Excellent command of the English language.
go to method of application »
Lead and manage child protection in emergencies work in Nigeria in coordination and integration with the overall emergency response program of SC Nigeria.
- Experience in designing, managing, monitoring and evaluating child protection programmes in emergency, transition and development contexts
- Ability to identify the main gaps in child protection in the given context to inform a holistic response for children.
- Commitment to and understanding of child rights, Save the Children’s aims, values and principles and humanitarian standards as Sphere Charter and Code of Conduct
- Good knowledge of and experience in using established inter-agency standards and guidelines in child protection, such as the Inter-agency Guidelines on Separated and Unaccompanied Children, CPMS, the Paris Principles, MRM 1612, SC Child Friendly Spaces Handbook, alternative care in emergencies, CP IMS/FTR/IDTR.
Method of Application
Kindly send your C.V and qualifying statements on or before 15th December 2014explaining why you are suitable to Nigeriavacancy@savethechildren.org. State position clearly in the subject field as applications without appropriate subject will be disqualified. Also, applications received after the deadline will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please note that applications will be treated as they are received and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
In order to apply for more great opportunities, please visit our website on www.savethechildren.net/jobs.
For more information and to support our work, please visit our website on www.savethechildren.net
Our selection processes reflect our commitment to safeguard children from abuse. Our people are as diverse as the challenges we face.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO MAKE AN IMPACT ON CHILDREN’S LIVES? JOIN US!!!