BBC Media Action is the international development charity of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), working in over 25 countries across the world. BBC Media Action works in partnership with local media agencies, Civil Society Organizations, and governments to achieve long term development goals. We produce creative media content to inform and engage audiences, and strengthen the media sector by building professional skills and technical capacity.
BBC Media Action is looking for interested/motivated freelance individuals to join the Nigeria team’s Researchers’ Pool, comprising various categories of researchers to include moderators, recruiters, supervisors, interviewers, data analysts, sampling consultants, translators transcribers etc, who could work on our research studies which are often conducted in different locations across Nigeria, using diverse languages as applicable per study.
Acceptance into the Researchers’ Pool does not guarantee an offer of freelance work or full time employment, but the pool represents BBC Media Action’s first point of call for freelancers working on our research studies.
As freelance positions become vacant, hiring managers will contact suitable candidates from the pool to ascertain availability for roles. Individuals may also be required to undergo a bidding process depending on the role and need.
Below is an outline of expected duties for the different roles, which may also be expanded upon to suit the needs of the studies as required.
Duties and Deliverables
- Moderators:Conduct Focus Group Discussions (FGDs) and / or In-Depth Interviews (IDI) in line with BBC Media Action’s specifications.
- Recruiters: Recruit respondents for focus group discussions and In-Depth Interviews in line with specifications provided.
- Quality Control Officers/Supervisors:Oversee the conduct of fieldwork such as face to face interviews during surveys, Focus Groups etc ensuring quality and high standard data collection.
- Survey Interviewers:Conduct face to face interviews within households (or designated locations) during surveys, ensuring data collection to high standards and quality.
- Quantitative data entry personnel/clerks: enter data from quantitative survey questionnaires into appropriate data entry formats / templates using appropriate software.
- Quantitative data analysts: run analysis of quantitative data collected during fieldwork which may have been entered into appropriate software or format.
- Sampling consultant/Statistician:undertake the calculation of design effect, design of robust sampling frame(s) and production of Enumeration Area (EA) maps that meet study objectives and requirements.
- Data Manager:Set up data entry templates, oversee the data entry and processing and transfer data from the data entry software into suitable format for analysis.
- Report writing consultant (quantitative / qualitative):analyse data collected from qualitative and / or quantitative research and prepare research reports presenting findings from the study.
- Translators:Translate relevant research study related documents and instruments e.g. Discussion Guides, Questionnaires etc from English into appropriate local language (e.g. Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo, Pidgin) or from local language (e.g. Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo, Pidgin) to English.
- Transcribers:Listen to audio and / or watch video recordings and type up the content (e.g. discussion among focus group participants) verbatim in MS Word format.
- Note takers: take detailed notes of discussions and proceedings during qualitative studies e.g. during focus group discussions.
The Freelancers will also render all and any other such services which are usually rendered by a Freelance in the capacity of moderator, recruiter, interviewer, supervisor, translator, transcriber, data analyst, data entry clerk etc as required by the BBC Media Action.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should please send in the information listed below to firstname.lastname@example.org , with the position applied for clearly stated in the application e-mail heading:
- Statement of language proficiency in English and any other Nigerian language
- At least 2 professional referees, with contact numbers and e-mail addresses
- Availability and flexibility
- An indication of your fees / charges – e.g. daily rate
Only shortlisted / qualified candidates will be contacted when required.
1.Experience required: interested individual must possess at least 1 year of research experience in similar role as applied for.
2.If you have sent your CV in response to a previous announcement for freelancers to be included in the pool, you do not need to resend except you wish to replace your current CV. If the latter is the case, please specify so.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.