Jobs at WHARC (Women's Health and Action Research Centre)
Posted on: 20 October, 2011
Deadline: 30 November, 2011
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View Jobs posted same day
The women health and action research centre (WHARC) is a non profit, non governmental organization founded in 1994 to promote the health and social well being of women through action research, evidence based advocacy, training and service delivery on reproductive health with special emphasis on girls and women WHARC publishes a quarterly international journal, the African Journal of Reproductive Health that was rated by the
National Universities Commission (NUC) in 2005 as the best journal in all disciplines in Nigeria "that meets international standards". WHARC works in 1994 Nigerian states, with headquarters located in Benin City, Edo state. The Benin office now wishes to recruit self-motivated, innovative and proactive individuals to fill the under-listed posts:
The position holder is expected to lead and manage the communication activities of the centre. She/he will work with the media (both old and new) and use modern communication facilities to foster the work of the centre. She/he will be the editor of the Centre's newsletter, develop policy/media briefs and ensure their timely dissemination. The officer will also manage the ICT facilities of the centre and be responsible for maintaining an excellent web presence for the Centre.
• Possession of a degree in communication, social sciences, computer science or journalism.
• Deep knowledge and experience in the use of ICT, including the new media is absolutely necessary.
• Demonstarte track record in advocacy and health communication.
• Must have demonstrable skills in written and interpersonal communications, and in public speaking
• Knowledge and experience in handling the media will be an advantage.
The office holder will manage the publication of the African Journal of Reproductive Health and all other scientific publications of Centre. She/he will manage up to six staff in the editorial office and be responsible for timely management of manuscripts ensuring prompt and regular publication of both the online and hard copies of the journal.
• Possession of a good degree in Public Health, Social Sciences or Biological Sciences
• Experience in scientific writing and/or scientific editing will be an advantage
• Must have strong ICT skills and be savvy in use of new media
• At least, five years post-qualification experience will be preferred
• Must be able to lead a team and be energetic, proactive and be able to work with minimal supervision
Assistant Managing Editor
The office holder will assist the Managing Editor in daily activities. In particular, she/he will be responsible for tracking manuscripts submitted to the African Journal of Reproductive Health, and ensure timely review by scientific experts and prompt feedback to authors.
• Possession of a good degree in biological sciences, social sciences or communication sciences
• Strong ICT skills and experiences in use of new media are required
• A self-organized individual, able to work with limited supervision but with expectation of achievement of a great vision, is required.
The office holder will be responsible for marketing of all publications and other products of the centre. She/he will develop a marekting strategy that will include the development of appropriate product adverts and the use of media platforms.
• Possession of a good degree in Marketing, Public Relations, Communication Sciences or Social Sciences.
• Strong ICT skills and experiences in use of the new media.
• At least two years experience in marketing will be required.
• Strong writing and communication skills will be an advantage.
• A strongly motivated individual, with great drive and energy is preferred.
• High mobility and willingness to travel is essential.
Method of Application
Applications should be submitted in the form of an application letter for the desired position and a detailed CV that spells out previous experiences. Appropriate contact information along with the names and addresses of three referees should be provided. These should be forwarded to us to firstname.lastname@example.org and copied to email@example.com. The subject line of the email must be the title of the position being solicited.
Closing date for submission is November 30,2011. Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview. At that point, the candidates
will be contacted and they will be requested to provide supporting letters from two of their listed referees.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Similar Jobs
- Job Vacancies at PACT Nigeria
- Latest Jobs at VSO
- Job Openings at the North East Regional Initiative (NERI) Nigeria
- Job Vacancies at the Association Of Positive Youth Living with HIV/AIDS in Nigeria
- Job Openings at UN Women
- Job Opportunity at i+ consortium
- Job Opening at Mercy Corps
- Job Vacancy at Creative Associates International