Girl Hub is a strategic collaboration between the Nike Foundation and the UK Department for International Development (DFID), based in the UK, currently operating in three African countries, and with plans to open in India and elsewhere.
The Nike Foundation is a powerful agent for real change and poverty alleviation in the developing world. The Foundations’ focus is on adolescent girls – its investments are centered on programs and initiatives that enable young girls to realize their potential and transform their world, so unleashing a ripple effect of change. The work of the Nike Foundation is designed to get girls on the global agenda and drive resources to them; ensuring ideas become real solutions that deliver tangible and sustainable results.
In this way, the Nike Foundation fuels the girl effect (www.girleffect.org) - the unique potential of 250 million adolescent girls to end poverty for themselves and the world.
The Girl Ambassadors (GAs):
GAs are a cohort of girls aged between 16 -22 identified through a local partners in Kano Kaduna and Zaria to champion girls issues by being the voice of girls and representing girls in a way that brings their context to programming tables. In addition, GAs are expected to provide advice where relevant in designing girl-centred activities. There is a plan to expand and establish 10 girl ambassadors to Jigawa State.
Jigawa, Kano and Kaduna are states located in the northern part of Nigeria, where GHN is focusing its intervention.
- Girl Ambassadors will be girl champions capable of bringing girls’ voices into important meetings and events
- Girl Ambassadors’ knowledge and ability to represent girls will position Girl Hub as the ’go-to’ Organization on issues of adolescent girls
- To create a resource within Northern Nigeria so that other partners can leverage the Girl Ambassadors for research, insights, and monitoring and advisory purposes.
- Girl Ambassadors will help remove barriers to reaching girls.
- Girl Ambassadors will develop authentic insights from girls.
- Girl Ambassadors will maintain a wide network of girls with a potential to have an extensive reach
Scope of Work
Girl Hub Nigeria requires the services of an organization with experience in peer-to-peer research and working with adolescent girls, to recruit and build the capacity of 10 Girl Ambassadors in Jigawa State.
- Girl hub Nigeria will build the capacity of the girls on qualitative research methods such as focus groups, 1-1 meetings, and observations. GHN will also enable the girls to conduct technology-enabled research and participatory M&E.
- Girl hub Nigeria will work with the organizations/consultants to recruit and, sustain regular meetings and activities to build the girls’ confidence to work within and outside their communities.
- Girl hub Nigeria will provide technical support and materials to facilitate building the girls’ skills on research, confidence building and feedback mechanisms.
- GH to ensure parental support for the activities and will obtain girl safe guarding policies, parental consents for each participating girl
- GH will ensure parental support for the activities and will adhere to girls safeguarding policy (GSP), parental consents for each participating girls.
- Pay girls’ stipends for specific activities and events where they participate as resource persons
Managing organization/consultant’s Role:
· Recruit and manage Girls’ Ambassadors on behalf of Girlhub.
· Organise and set up safe meeting venues with girls. Liaison with community to ensure gate keepers are well informed and are supportive of girl ambassadors.
· Work with closely with GHN to plan and implement training and research activities.
· Provide refreshments and stationeries for working with girls.
· Act as chaperon during out of location trip with girls by Girl hub.
· Develop budgets and timeline of activities for sign off by Girl Hub
· Maintain the code of conduct for working with girls and ensure girls comply with Girl hub nigeria girl safe guarding policy
- Become girl ambassadors.
- Commit to working with Girl Hub as young researchers.
- Attend trainings and events relevant to building their capacities in providing insights on different contexts for the Arewa Girl
- Maintain behaviors and views that represent promoting the Arewa girl.
- Comply with Girl Hub girl safe guarding policies, rules and regulations.
Deliverables for Managing Organization/ Consultant
- 10 Girl Ambassadors to be recruited in November, and to be mentored and trained on an agreed schedule
- Participate in Girl hub Girl safe guarding policy training and adhere to global policy and procedures
- Secure parental consent to include travels to Abuja, media release and health release
- Chaperon, coach, mentor, and accompany Girl ambassadors to relevant events, meetings, workshops and activities within and outside Jigawa state.
- Set the scene and mobilize community for any Girl Ambassador research and activity in the community
- Organize and supervise girl researchers to participate in all GHN activities that they are required to attend from November 2014 to May 2015
- Organize and supervise girls to participate in insights film on girls
- 10 Girl Ambassadors established and acting as advisers
- Girl confidence, interpersonal skills and capacity built.
- Girl Hub has available resources to tap into for information and for partners’ programme design and development
- Girls confident and able to represent Arewa girls in relevant meetings and events
Key Skills and Experience
- At least three years’ experience in similar scope of work
- Strong interpersonal, and communication skills
- Excellent report writing, presentation and communication skills.
- High attention to detail and ability to adapt to changing situations
- Excellent oral, written, presentation and communications skills in English.
- Good knowledge of working with young people.
- Proven record of Good relationship with community leaders and gate keepers
Method of Application
Complete proposals (electronic copy) must be submitted by email to:
Amina Adamu Aliyu at Amina.email@example.com and include “Recruitment and training of girl ambassador” on the subject line of the e-mail.
If you have any questions concerning this request for bids, please contact Amina Adamu at Girl Hub Nigeria at
Mercy Corps office
No. 5 Peka ClosE,
Off Buchannan Crescent,
Wuse II Abuja
or via firstname.lastname@example.org
GHN will not pay or reimburse agency/organization for bids submitted.