Location of Job: Uyo, Akwa Ibom
Reports to: Senior Engineer
The main function of the project engineer is the management and execution of assigned projects from design, construction, commissioning, and handover, while ensuring delivery in accordance with project specifications, schedule, and budget.
Also, to undertake project value engineering to ensure cost and schedule are best-in-class while adhering to the relevant project specifications, standards, and client satisfaction.
- Prepare, schedule, coordinate and monitor the assigned engineering projects
- Monitor compliance to applicable codes, practices, QA/QC policies, performance standards and specifications
- Collaborate with QA/QC to implement quality standards to all site related works like reinforcement, formwork erection, and concreting.
- To collaborate with HSE to ensure HSE guidelines are properly and correctly implemented in sites
- Collaborate with Surveyor to establish a proper level for excavation, improvement, blinding, and reinforced concrete levels.
- To create a work breakdown structure for daily work schedule, based on management agreed on methodology for each site work.
- Mobilize the site daily on time and give the toolbox talk.
- Organize field work and assign technicians and staff specialists to tasks. To ensure all necessary material and machinery is available for the day work.
- To provide a timely work schedule for the specific project plan.
- Understand and implement project specifications effectively. Follow design consultants’ drawings and integrate them into the project.
- Execute whole project in a cost-effective and timely manner.
- Interact daily with the clients to interpret their needs and requirements and represent them in the field
- Perform overall quality control of the work (budget, schedule, plans, personnel’s performance) and report regularly on project status
- Develop construction specifications and procedures
- Evaluate and recommend appropriate building and construction materials
- Communicate with all projects related personnel (internal or external) on day-to-day progress of activities, procurement, and operations to ensure timely completion of the project.
- Cooperate and communicate effectively with project manager and other project participants to provide assistance and technical support
- Review engineering deliverables and initiate appropriate corrective actions
- Maintain project schedule by monitoring project progress, coordinating activities, and resolving problems
- Determine project schedule by studying project plan and specifications, calculating time requirements, and sequencing project elements.
- Plan all manpower, material, and machinery deployment as required by the project site.
- Prepare the Daily Progress Report and provide the same to the project manager at close of work.
- Keep all doors of communication to the site staff, contractors, superiors and clients always open.
- Collaborate with HSE Officer to ensure Health, Environmental and Safety aspects are considered in all stages of project implementation.
- Prepare a proper schedule for each contractor to ensure project timelines.
- Inspect the contractor’s manpower, material and machinery for proper workability and safety.
- Ensure proper quality of the contractor’s work and efficient resource utilization.
- Issue timely work orders and notices to contractors as per required contractual guidelines.
- Maintain the site in a proper manner to highlight the brand of the company.
- Always keep all site personnel under check and all equipment in proper presentable condition to ensure no adverse impact to the name of the company.
- Maintain Product and company reputation by complying with federal and state regulations.
- Be aware of all projects ponderable to foresee any risk that may affect the project lifecycle. Report and take corrective action to mitigate the risks.
QMS, EMS & QH&S Management System Responsibilities
- Operate in conformance with the requirements of the QMS, EMS and OHS.
- Stop work in progress to make appropriate notifications when unsafe conditions exist or requirements are not being met.
- Proactive in ensuring the accomplishment of organizational goals along with self-development.
- Willing to take up additional roles and responsibilities as and when required.
- Awareness, understanding and application of QMS, EMS and OHS policies on assigned jobs
- Awareness, understanding and application departmental /process EMS and OHS objectives.
- Awareness of all possible hazards from assigned tasks and risks associated with the assigned tasks and its identification and relevant controls required.
- Ensure that personnel comply with applicable laws, regulations, specifications, standards and documented procedures.
- Awareness of your contribution to the effectiveness of the EMS and OHS, including the benefits of improved performance and associated opportunities for improvement of processes assigned
- Awareness of the implications of not conforming with SECRL EMS and OHS requirements including associated aspects and risks for the process assigned.
- Excellent knowledge of design and visualisations software such as AutoCAD/CAM
- SolidWorks + MATLAB
- Advanced MS Office skills
- Documentation skills
- Familiarity with rules, regulations, best practices and performance standards
- Ability to work with multiple discipline projects
- Project management and supervision skills
- Decision making ability and leadership skills
- Current engineer license
- Time management and organization skills
Behavioural Qualities/Other Competences
- Problem-solving aptitude
- Personal integrity and high ethical standards
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a team with minimal or no supervision
- Minimum of Bachelor's Degree(B.Tech or B.Eng) in Civil Engineering or related field
- Minimum of 4 years cognate experience as a Project Engineer in a Construction Firm.