The MENTOR Initiative is a UK registered charitable, not-for-profit, non-governmental organization working globally to relieve human suffering from tropical diseases. With support from BHA-PUI, The MENTOR Initiative is implementing Emergency Control of Malaria amongst high malarious areas in Borno state. The MENTOR Initiative works in close partnership with the MoH in Nigeria to build technical capacity and effective planning and responses to malaria and other VBDs.
Overall Job Purpose: To assist the NGO functioning in operational aspects of activities
Location: Maiduguri (and other areas within the locality as assigned)
Reporting to: Logistics Coordinator (or Asst LogCo)
Key tasks and responsibilities:
Expected Key Results
Provide support to the LogCo (or Asst LogCo) for the achievement of the following results:
- To implement logistics activities according to Mentor/ donor guides – especially in procurement and technical fields
- To provide timely and regular updates to the LogCo (or Asst LogCo) on logistics activities
- Proper documentation of various project activities including timely reporting and dissemination
- To liaise with suppliers and service providers
- Supervise technical work when required – e.g., repair to properties – and guards in The Mentor-rented premises
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Implement/maintain MENTOR-Initiative standard practices in logistics procedures.
- Procure goods and services on behalf of the MENTOR-Initiative following MENTOR-Initiative Procurement Procedures and keeping documentation to compliance with donor audit requirements and provide advice to LogCo (or Asst LogCo) on negotiation of contracts required by the MENTOR-Initiative for goods and services.
- Provide monthly logistics data to LogCo (or Asst LogCo).
- Plan and organise the MENTOR-Initiative transportation requirements and assist LogCo (or Asst LogCo) in planning best use of vehicles, vehicle tracking.
- Plan, organise and maintain any stores/warehouses containing MENTOR-Initiative stock to MENTOR-Initiative standards, providing timely stock reports to LogCo (or Asst LogCo).and security to stores to keep losses to minimum.
- Organise the transportation and other commodities for incoming and outgoing goods to ensure the timely receipt into MENTOR-Initiative stores/warehouses.
- Provide monthly inventory report to LogCo (or Asst LogCo).
- Conduct regular spot checks for warehouse stocks and assets and report damages immediately.
- Provide monthly updated asset management report to LogCo (or Asst LogCo).
- Provide timely advice and technical support on logistics issues to other functions within the MENTOR-Initiative.
- Ensure the archiving of procurement files and contracts follows the mentor initiative procedures
- Directly line manage the security guards and the mission drivers in the field.
- Support, train and develop other staff in Logistics best practices as directed by the LogCo (or Asst LogCo).
- Produce regular, timely and accurate narrative reports for the MENTOR-Initiative and for donors as directed by the LogCo (or Asst LogCo).
- Ensure good communication with the program staffs at all the level of the purchase process
- Adhere to the agreed MENTOR Code of conduct on Ethics and Integrity and safeguarding including, Whistle blowing policy.
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within MENTOR and amongst beneficiaries served by The MENTOR Initiative.
- Any other tasks required within skill set.
- Organisation, sense of human relations, diplomacy, communication skills, Microsoft office competent (word, excel, outlook, power point). Time Management skills and good negotiation and bargaining skills
- Proactivity, autonomy, thoroughness, analytical skills, willingness, and motivation to work in an international and intercultural context.
- A University Degree in Logistics Supply Chain, or any other logistics field.
Experience & Competency Requirement:
- 3 to 4 years of Previous NGO and/or work experience related to Logistics and procurement. Proof on all the related NGO experiences will be required.
- Able to work as part of an established team with excellent communication skills, team builder, flexible, adaptable
- Ability to carry-out responsibilities independently with minimal technical support from within the organization.
- Good computer skills
- Conduct all activities in honest and trustworthy manner in the best interest of The MENTOR Initiative and the target community
Female Candidates are HIGHLY encouraged to apply
Safeguarding & Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse:
The Mentor Initiative applies zero tolerance to the exploitation, sexual abuse and mistreatment of women, children and all others, and mobilizes all its staff in the implementation of its global policy. The Mentor Initiative will contact previous employers of applicants to determine if they have had a history of violating codes of conduct relating to sexual harassment, exploitation or abuse and fraud.
Due to the urgency of this position, we will review applications on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.