Who We Want:
Darkpore Media Africa seeks a dynamic and responsible Journalist to perform high-level reporting tasks for the Editor-in-Chief.
Reporting directly to the Editor-in-Chief, the Journalist will excel at storytelling, time management, creative project planning, acting with little supervision, anticipating the studio's content development needs while managing the day to day production workflow.
He/She will work within and lead production teams to create truly revolutionary, culture-transforming story scripts for podcasts, Youtube, instagram and other streaming platforms; collaborate on character development for drama, graphic novels and games; prepare draft materials for production meetings, and support a wide range of unique fiction, documentary and policy newsroom projects. He/She must also be adept at managing social media interactions.
He/She will research reports, books and interviews that provide background context for industry and community stories. The Journalist also serves as a liaison to the camera crew, creative artists, and collaborating production teams. The ideal individual must be proactive, possessing a strong sense of urgency, and must pay close attention to detail. They must exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, and organizational skills. He/She must be creative, skilled in all aspects of project management and enjoy working within a growing entrepreneurial mission-driven and results-driven environment.
The Journalist must have the ability to work independently, balancing multiple storylines and story arcs from conception to completion. He/She must be able to work under pressure and handle a wide variety of activities and confidential project matters with total discretion. The Ideal candidate, is GEN Z, born after March 1st 1996 and must have completed one year of National Youth Service. Ability to drive will confer an advantage.
What You’ll Do
- Scripting and storytelling for Studio projects.
- Scripting for digital content in all styles, forms and lengths - social, entertainment, news, documentaries, short, mid and long form.
- Work to a brief agreed with the Editor-in-chief, then develop and pitch creative ideas and concepts, choosing the appropriate media and style to meet project objectives.
- Ensure quality control of all output, including proofreading and cross-checking facts, spelling, grammar, writing style, etc.
- Manage more than one brief at a time, prioritizing effectively, allocating the relevant amount of time and resources according to the value of the job.
- Work as part of a team of producers, video editors, graphic designers, reporters, account managers, web developers, photographers and digital strategists.
- Complete a wide variety of creative tasks for the Executive Producer including: managing an extremely active calendar of creative projects; completing production reports; and compiling production documents for travel-related meetings.
- Maintain proactive and thoughtful communications with the external creative artists, production team, and other staff on behalf of the Editor-in-chief,
- Plan, coordinate, and ensure the schedule for script development is followed and respected.
- Work closely and effectively with the Editor-in-chief, keeping them informed of upcoming project commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately. Act as a "barometer," having a sense of urgent and time-sensitive issues taking place in the environment and keeping the Executive Producer updated.
- Prioritize conflicting needs; handle matter expeditiously, proactively, and follow-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Work with Darkpore Media Africa staff and project partners to collect and assemble information for presentations, projects, and strategic planning.
- Handle phone, email, and postal mail inquiries and respond appropriately.
- All-around support for the Studio team.
What You Bring:
- Passion for and commitment to the mission and core values of Darkpore Media Africa.
- 1-2 year experience in reporting stories, creating storylines, characters, and dialogue
- Experience as a Journalist, Content Creator, scriptwriter, copywriter or similar role.
- Portfolio of online articles/stories/videos
- Hands-on experience with Content Management Systems (e.g. WordPress)
- An ability to fact-check long-form content pieces
- HND, BSc in any of the Creative Arts, Marketing, English, Journalism or relevant field.
- Grit, resilience, and tenacity around achieving our mission.
- A willingness and flexibility to do "whatever it takes" for "whoever needs it" to achieve our mission.
- Excellent oral and written communication/editorial skills with an eye for details such as grammar, spelling, and formatting.
- High degree of organizational skills, time-management skills, and problem-solving ability; individually, the ability to work as a self-starter.
- Strong people skills, collegiality, humility and respect for others.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities with grace and professionalism in a timely manner.
- Ability to drive for efficiency, attention to detail, resourcefulness, and good judgment.