Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Intercommunity Development Social Organisation (IDS) has secured a grant from Save the Children International (SCI) on Education Cannot Wait (ECW) to implement in Borno. For this cause, we are recruiting a Project Manager. The responsibilities of the ECW Project Manager include but are not limited to the following:
Management and Advisory Support:
- Provide advice in establishing the annual work plan including developing strategies and determining priorities/targets and performance measurements for Humanitarian and Development Programming. Coordinate work progress monitoring and ensure results are achieved according to schedule and performance standards and report to Supervisor critical issues for timely action.
- Provide technical advice to colleagues in the Section on all aspects of programming and implementation to enable colleagues to achieve program/performance objectives
Program Development and Planning:
- Plan and/or provide technical assistance and operational support to the preparation/design and conduct/update of situation analysis to ensure that current comprehensive and evidence-based data on education issues in the North East are available to guide IDS strategic policy advocacy, intervention and development efforts on education and to set program priorities, strategies, design and implementation plans.
- Keep abreast of national development priorities on Education in Emergencies, recovery and development to enhance program management and delivery.
- Participate in strategic program discussion on the planning of education programs/projects. Formulate, design and prepare programs/projects proposal for the sector, ensuring alignment with the overall NE Strategy Plans national priorities, plans and competencies.
- Establish specific goals, objectives and strategies and implementation plans for the sector/s using on results-based planning terminology and methodology (RBM). Prepare required documentations for program review and approval.
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss strategies and methodologies and to determine national priorities/competencies to ensure the achievement of concrete and sustainable results.
- Provide authoritative technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes to ensure integration, coherence and harmonization of programs/projects with other IDS sectors and achievement of results as planned and allocated.
Program Management, Monitoring and Quality Control of Results:
- Plan and/or collaborate with monitoring and evaluation initiatives to establish benchmarks, performance indicators, to assess/strengthen performance accountability, coherence and delivery of concrete and sustainable results in education programs.
- Participate in major monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual reviews with government and other counterparts to assess progress and to engage stakeholders to take required action/interventions to achieve results.
- Prepare/assess monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths/weaknesses in program and management, identify lessons learned and use knowledge gained for development planning and timely intervention to achieve goals.
- Monitor programs/projects to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and potential problems and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution.
- Plan, monitor and control the use of program resources (financial, human, administrative and other assets) certifying/verifying compliance with organizational rules, regulations and procedures, donor commitments and standards of accountability and integrity. Ensure timely reporting and liquidation of resources.
- Submit/prepare program/project reports to donors and other partners to keep them informed on program progress and critical issues.
Advisory Services and Technical Support:
- Provide technical advice to key government officials, NGO, partners on policies, strategies, best practices and approaches on equity in education, learning and skills, and governance in education and other related issues to support program development planning, implementation and delivery of results.
- Coordinate/ensure the availability of technical experts to ensure timely support throughout all stages of programming/project processes.
- Participate in strategic discussions to influence policy and agenda setting for combating poverty and all forms of discrimination against women/children by advising on and advocating strategies and approaches to promote universal access to and equitable and inclusive education for children in the North East.
- Prepare policy papers, briefs and other strategic program materials for management use, information and consideration.
- Participate in discussions on education emergency preparedness, programming and contingency planning to ensure proactive and appropriate response are in place to meet onset of emergencies nationally or other designated locations.
Advocacy, Networking and Partnership Building:
- Build and strengthen strategic partnerships through networking and advocacy with all Ministries providing Education in the North East, local/national governments, partners, donors, internationally recognized institutions, NGOs, funding organization, research institutes and private sector to reinforce cooperation and/or pursue opportunities to promote goals and achieve sustainable and broad results on education.
- Prepare communication strategies and implementation plans and activities for maximum communication impact and outreach to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances for sustainable results and support fund raising for IDS and education programmes and emergency interventions.
- Participate and/or represent IDS in North East inter-agency discussions and planning on education in emergencies. Collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues in preparation of programs/projects including emergency preparedness.
Innovation, Knowledge Management and Capacity Building:
- Promote critical thinking and innovative approaches and good practices for sustainable education programs/projects initiatives through advocacy and technical advisory services.
- Keep abreast, research, benchmark, introduce and implement best and cutting-edge practices on education management and information systems. Institutionalize and disseminate best practices and knowledge learned.
- Contribute to the development of policies and procedures and introduce innovation and best practices to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programs and projects.
- Organize/plan/implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders to promote sustainable results on education and related programs/projects.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- An advanced University Degree (Master's Degree or higher) in Education or Economics, Psychology, Sociology or other Social Science field required.
- A minimum of 4 years of relevant professional work experience in programme planning, management, and/or research in Education at the national and international level, some of which in a developing country and in an emergency, context is required.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of Local language (Kanuri, Baburu and Hausa) is an asset.
The functional competencies required for this post are:
- Relating and networking
- Applying technical expertise
- Formulating strategies and concepts
- Planning and organizing
- Leading and Supervising.
For every Child, you demonstrate:
- IDS values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
- Diversity and inclusion;