The Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) is an international Catholic organisation with a mission to accompany, serve and advocate on behalf of refugees and other forcibly displaced persons. JRS undertakes services at national and regional levels with the support of an international office in Rome. Founded in November 1980 as a work of the Society of Jesus, JRS w...
Read more about this company
Supervisor: Country Director
Country of Assignment: Nigeria
Regional Directorate: West Africa
Place of Assignment: Abuja but expected to make regular field visits to Taraba
Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS), is faith-based Catholic International Organization working across 56 countries whose mission is to accompany, serve and advocate for the rights of refugees and IDPs in conflict zones, detention centers, camp and urban settings, and on remote borders. JRS provides psychosocial support programmes in detention centres and refugee camps, provides humanitarian relief in emergency displacement situations, Education and livelihoods programmes, provides skill development and opportunities for integration into host communities.
The Compliance Officer will monitor the performance of all financial and operational functions within JRS project and ensure that financial and operational activities are in compliance with Nigeria’s laws, donor's rules and regulations, and JRS policies and standards.
The Compliance Officer will be responsible for implementing JRS and donor procedures in the field, safeguarding financial data and supporting financial administrators, requires regular field trips to Taraba to organize audit and also works in support of the National Finance Coordinator.
Internal and External Audits:
- Conduct quarterly internal controls on documentation (accuracy, consistency, adherence to procedures);
- Facilitate the preparation of audits;
- Under the supervision of the National Director, monitor internal and external audits and draw relevant lessons;
- Facilitate the implementation of audit recommendations;
- Conduct market research on frequent purchases and make a comparison;
- Prepare a monthly compliance report;
- Keep and archive the list of internal incidents (revealed by day-to-day management, internal or external audits).
Compliance with Procedures:
- Ensure implementation and adherence to JRS’ procedures and donors’ procedures;
- Ensure dissemination, understanding and updating of procedures in the field;
- Propose revisions of procedures as needed.
- Ensure Safekeeping of Documentation and Feedback to Donors and the Flow of Information
- Ensure that transfer of documentation and, more precisely, feedback to donors or Regional Offices are in due time;
- Ensure that financial, logistic and administrative information and documents are properly organized as well as safeguarded in a physical and electronic way.
- Facilitate the implementation of a national archiving system;
- Work with the different departments on promoting a common system of sharing information and ensuring compliance and maintenance of the system;
- Prepare specific documentation summarizing the situation of donor financing and levels of expenditure.
- Support to the National Finance Coordinator:
- NAVISION (financial monitoring tool for administrators), respect of donor assignments and financial monitoring.
- Ensure the compliance of information with budget and code compliance.
- Ensure that financial monitoring is done before 15th of each month.
- Participate in the implementation of financial tools.
- Participate in the analysis of the gap between Financial Monitoring and Budget.
- Participate in the planning and budgeting process at the Regional Office.
- Participate in the preparation of the annual budgets of the organization, optimizing the allocation of resources for the particular expenses, according to the restrictions of subsidies and the needs of the program.
- Ensure expenses and cash flow against the budget.
- Management control: monitoring of fraud, market prices, etc.
- Assist the country office in monitoring and controlling invoices.
- Support the National Financial Officer in the preparation of the Country Office's annual budget and in the budget revision during the year.
- Participate in the implementation of financial tools of the country office.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business management or any related discipline. An advanced degree is preferred.
- Professional certification in Accounting and internal Audit.
Experience and Skills
- Four (4) years of experience in compliance, risk management and audit required.
- Extensive familiarity of program grants rules and regulations.
- Experience in international development programs preferred.
- Knowledge in Proposal Preparation and Budgeting of Financial Projects and Reports.
- Excellent planning, management, and organizational skills.
- Proven leadership and interpersonal skill.
- Have good computer skills and mastery of MS Office tools.
- Demonstrate leadership skills, active listening skills, initiative and personal discipline, etc.
- Adhere to JRS values and abide by the code of conduct and other policies.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information.
- Sense of discretion and responsibility
- Mastery of English (fluency in spoken and written languages)