Manager, Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory at Medical Research Council
Posted on: 1 May, 2018
Deadline: 31 May, 2018
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at Medical Research Council
Medical Research Council (MRC) Unit, The Gambia - We are the leading research centre in sub-Saharan Africa, carrying out internationally competitive research into tropical medicine for over 50 years. Our current research agenda focuses on three themes: Disease Control & Elimination; Nutrition; Vaccines & Immunity. Looking towards the future. we are aiming to push forward into new and challenging areas reflecting changes in national and global health priorities.
Manager, Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory
- An interesting opportunity is available for a post-doctoral scientist to head the Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory at MRCG at LSHTM, Fajara.
- The post-holder will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Molecular Diagnostics (MDx) Laboratories and supervision of staff.
- S/he will be responsible for strengthening core platform capabilities to support research through conducting existing assays to a unified standard, developing standardised protocols, training members of the laboratory and developing new tools and methods in molecular analysis to meet the needs of Research Projects.
- The post holder may dedicate up to 20% of work time to independent research in an area of interest in molecular biology towards strengthening the overall Unit research agenda.
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or other Biomedical Sciences from an accredited University with significant experience in Molecular biology research.
- Demonstrated experience in current molecular diagnostic technologies including variations of nucleic acid extraction, amplification and detection techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge and training in GCLP implementation and accreditation to quality standards.
- Evidence of previous publications in the area of molecular biology techniques and genotyping.
- Experience in setting up basic bioinformatics analysis and use of softwares for sequence and fragment analysis, primer and probe design, gene annotation and genetic mapping.
- Computer literate (e.g Microsoft Office applications)
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Good organisational and staff management skills (note: with the ability to co-supervise staff with other managers).
- Experience of working with people from different disciplines and cultures.
- Knowledge of Next Generation technologies and experience managing large diagnostic or genetic data sets, including whole genome sequencing and RNAseq.
- Knowledge of bioinformatics scripting language applicable to molecular data management and analysis such as Perl and R.
- Training in quality management systems and processes in research and/or research laboratory environments.
- Working knowledge of another international language especially French or Portuguese.
- Good budgetary and cost management skills.
- Keenness to train and impart knowledge.
- An attractive salary will be paid in MRCG’s Grade 1, 40 Points at a minimum take home pay of 132, 287 Dalasi per month. This is equivalent to $2, 814 per month using the prevailing USD/Dalasi exchange rate. Please note the salary will be paid in Dalasi and the USD/Dalasi exchange rate is only given as a guide using the prevailing exchange rate.
- For displaced staff the package will include, rent-free furnished accommodation, flights, displacement allowances for dependents, contribution to school fees for children and shipment of personal effects.
Method of Application
Applicants should download and complete the MRCG Job Application Form and send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to download the MRCG Job Application (MS Word)
Click here for more information (MS Word)
- The appointment is up to 31st March 2021 initially and is subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
- MRC is an Equal Opportunities Employer and operates a strict no smoking policy.
- Know More About Medical Research CouncilSimilar Jobs
- Nutrition Assistant at CARE
- Program Officer 1 - Tuberculosis at Breakthrough ACTION
- Technical Advisor - HIV Epidemic Control and Sustainability at The National Agency for the Control of AIDS (NACA)
- Health Care Assistant at HRLeverage Africa
- Midwife at Medecins Sans Frontieres
- Radiology Assistant at Anadach Consulting
- Nursing Officer at Anadach Consulting
- Female Registered Nurse at King Solomon Hospital