Save the Children is a leading international organization helping children in need around the world. First established in the UK in 1919, separate national organizations have been set up in more than twenty-eight countries, sharing the aim of improving the lives of children through education, health care and economic opportunities, as well as emergency aid in cases of natural disasters, war and conflict.
In Nigeria, Save the Children has been working since 2001. The early focus was on getting children actively involved in shaping the decisions that affect their lives. Today, Save the Children is working in seven federal states - Zamfara, Yobe, Jigawa, Katsina, Kano, Bauchi and Kaduna - focusing on providing basic healthcare and protecting children.
Finance Manager, STEER
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
- The Finance Manager is responsible for supporting the management and development of SCiN’s work in Nigeria through providing effective and efficient support, advice, expertise and training to the Finance, Award and Programme teams as well as the Chief of Party and other team members as required.
Key Areas of Accountability
- To support the Finance Director in overseeing the smooth functioning of the STEER project.
- To provide technical advice to the Grants Unit, Country Director and Programme Management on steps and measures to be taken and implemented to assure USAID- compliant financial and Grants management and control over SCI resources in Nigeria.
- To appropriately train finance, programme Management (PMT) staff as and if required.
- To advice and support the Chief Of Party in strategic financial management
- Supervise, coach and build the capacity of the finance team of the field office. Coordinate all month end and Yearend Activities of the field office.
- Verify and approve the reconciliation of all the accounts of the field office
- Provide some analysis of the accounts to field management team and propose some areas of efficiencies.
- Authorize the cash request of the field office and send to the central office on time.
- Ensure all budget are phased and report provided to central office on time.
- Prepare donor BvA on monthly basis and ensure the Finance meeting is held in its field office.
- Coordinate with the central office training and the capacity building for finance Staff, non-finance staff and Budget holders.
- Ensure any change of the system such as IDs, DEA are reported on time and recorded in the system.
- Prepare the draft of projects mapping and propose to central office for approval and posting.
- Perform field visits on the project implementation site,
- Collect partner’s financial report and necessary documentation and perform the reconciliation
- Prepare adjustment journals including reallocations exchange rate and post in the system.
- Verify transaction posting and approve posting.
- Verification of all payment vouchers before payments.
- Perform bank reconciliation perform single account matching
- Ensure the field office has in place a voucher approval process and all staff adheres to this working hour.
- Where there is a limitation of resources perform the role of Finance Coordinator.
- Participate in statutory and specific grants audits
- Any other tasks assigned by your supervisor or line manager
- Internal: All budget-holders, in particular the CoP and other PMT members.
- SCI Regional and Global finance staff and internal audit.
- External: Auditors, Bank, Government bodies, include regulatory agencies.
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Skills, Experience and Education
- Proven strategic financial ability including substantial experience in forward financial planning
- B.Sc/HND, Accounting Degree (or equivalent certification and experience)
- Recognised accounting qualification – ICAN, ICAEW, CIMA, CPA, ACCA
- Adequate knowledge and experience in USAID financial regulations including 2 CFR 200
- At least 5 years financial management experience with INGOs, preferably at least 2 years with Save the Children;
- Experience in staff management and supervision, and demonstrable ability to use different techniques to build high performance teams
- Knowledge and experience of financial computer applications, including FMS (Agresso), FBS and other packages, spreadsheets
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Self-evident inter-personal skills that will ensure senior managers to seek their in resolving financial issues,
- The ability to challenge poor practice constructively and to give direct actionable feedback on control failures.
- Good personal organisational skills, including time management, and ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Ability to work with, support and interpret financial reports to staff with limited financial skills
- Willingness to travel to field offices and work in difficult environment from time to time
- A good understanding of Save the Children’s vision, mission and goals and an understanding of child rights programming.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.