If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
COOPI - Cooperazione Internazionale, is a humanitarian, non-confessional and independent organization founded in 1965 in Milan, Italy. For more than 50 years we have been dedicated to breaking the cycle of poverty and to supporting populations affected by wars, socio-economic crises or natural disasters in their path to recovery and sustainable development, by making use of the professionalism of local and international operators, and through our partnerships with public and private bodies and civil society organizations.
Location: Yobe state, Potiskum as main Base Office, with often daily trips to different LGAs.
Reports to: Project Manager
Project/Programme: Blanket Supplementary Feeding
Duration of the Project: 6 months (with possible extension) Donors:
Duration of the contract: 6months (with possible extension) Basic salary:
(according to experience)
Starting Date: As Soon as Possible
Scope of the Vacancy
- The position of the Nutrition Officer will be based in Potiskum with daily trips to various LGAs in Yobe state. He/she will be in charge of oversee Blanket Supplementary Feeding program(BSFP) activities in Yobe state. This position also requires that the nutrition officer will link the BSFP and food security,CMAM and other sectors.
- The position of nutrition supervisor is a key role within the program, requiring the necessary activities outlined in the job description to be fulfilled.
- It is expected that the person successful for the role will have the ability to improve and develop the functions of the position within the organization.
Main Duties / Responsibilities
- Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager and in collaboration with Field Coordinators, and other collaborators of the projects and of the Base, she/he will:
- Coordinate regular BSFP activities guaranteeing the smooth implementation according to the project work plan and ensure succeful delevery of the activities. Work with all programme teams to ensure that information relating to BSFP, COOPI and Our activities is shared widely within communities in which we are working and provide for their participation and feedback in line with relevant guidelines. Coordinate BSFP implementation with WFP; In coordination with the Project Manager, participate in relevant coordination meetings; Facilitate meetings with programme staff to regularly review programme implementation and performance.
- Ensure proper implementation of the blanket supplementary feeding programme in accordance with donor agreements including; Community mobilization and sensitization;Beneficiaries registration Staff management;MUAC screening and referal;Procurement of necessary equipment and materials;IYCF promotion.
- Ensure regular and proper monitoring and reporting of the BSFP activites. Supervise the implementation of the BSFP to ensure goals and objectives of the programme are being met. Ensure timely data collection and reporting including producing monthly reports and end of program evaluation report.
- Conduct regular filed monitoring an dsupervision to distribution sites .Identify issues/problems and solutions in the food distribution sites and catchment population and adequately implement solutions in order to resolve problems. If it is out of the capacity of the job description of the nutrition officer to resolve issues or problems, then clearly and in a timely fashion present issues/problems to the Project Manager for further action.
- Work with the health facility in charges, health staffs and CVs attached to the health facility to identify properly and on time when the beneficiaries who must be transferred from the BSFP to the OTP/TSFP or any major medical site for treatment.
- Good and continuous communication with the rest of the MoH and COOPI team in order to organize transfers from the different branches of the programme. Assure that the transfers are actually well done.
- Build the capacity of the BSFP staff, CVs and community members to ensure right beneficiaries are registerd in the BSFP, special attention given to malnourished cases and MUAC screening and referral of malnourished cases takes place. In each of the targeted communities, establish a distribution committee.
- Participate in the conduction of nutrition research studies, best practice documentation, surveys and campaigns
- Participate in program strategic planning and roll-out of new program areas in liaison with the other sectors within COOPI and other key stakeholders.
- Improve the provision of quality nutrition education, hygiene and promotion of IYCF practices in the BSFP distribution points.
- Participate in the development and use developed activity work plans based on the project annual work plan.
- Enhance integration of nutrition specific with other nutrition sensitive projects.
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive and the employee will also perform other related tasks as required and assigned by his/her supervisor.
- Profile of the Candidate (Education, Training, Competences, Skills)
- Degree in Nursing or Nutrition or Public Health or Food Security
- Organization, initiative, tidiness, honesty and courtesy.
- Good communication skills and able to work in a team
- Share the humanitarian mission of the organization
- Ability to communicate with vulnerable populations
- Proven experience in related field
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Accuracy and promptness in performing duties
- English writing and speaking skill preferred
- Be proficient in statistics and other software (Microsoft Office – Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Have excellent team, budget, project management and representation competencies
Desired Competencies / Skills
- Professional, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible and culturally sensitive.
- Previous experience in similar roles in a humanitarian set up
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and local context
- Knowledge of the local language (Hausa/Kanuri)
Method of Application
Applicants should send their CV's (max 3 pages) and Cover Letter (max 1 page) to: firstname.lastname@example.org Specifying in the e-mail subject “Nutrition Officer.”
- Any late application or incomplete submission will not be considered and thus will be disregarded immediately.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.