Higher Scientific Officer, Head of Haematology at Medical Research Council
Posted on: 25 April, 2017
Deadline: 31 May, 2017
View Jobs in Healthcare / Medical
View All Jobs at Medical Research Council
MRC Unit The Gambia is the leading research centre in sub-Saharan Africa and has been carrying out internationally competitive research into tropical medicine for over 70 years. Our current research agenda focuses on three themes: Disease Control & Elimination; Nutrition; Vaccines & Immunity. Looking towards the future, we are aiming to push forward with a West Africa expansion strategy with new and challenging areas, reflecting changes in national and global health priorities.
Higher Scientific Officer, Head of Haematology
Department: Clinical Research Laboratory Services
Grade: 3, 27 points
Purpose of the Job
- MRC Unit The Gambia is looking for an experienced Biomedical Scientist with specialised skills and experience to head the haematology laboratory at MRCG Fajara.
- The post holder will be directly responsible for providing high technical and quality Management services to support research and Clinical Services delivery.
- S/he will supervise and Manage at least 5 staff members across different areas of specialism (Haematology, Blood Transfusion, Coagulation and Quality) aimed at delivering a well functioning and consistent quality Management System. The post holder will provide expertise in GCLP/ISO15189 and in the trouble shooting of laboratory equipments.
Role (The post-holder will be Responsible for the Following):
- Performing a range of laboratory investigations required to support clinical services and scientific research across the three themes.
- Provide day to day diagnostic laboratory services for the Clinical Services Department, the private laboratories/Clinics, MRCG staff and the Gambian Population.
- Training and supervising laboratory technicians in assay performance.
- Have Technical Knowledge of the equipments in the Haematology Laboratory to be able to troubleshoot with the biomedical engineering department and contract service engineers.
- Keep the Internal QC folder up to date
- Perform all laboratory maintenance activities (daily, weekly & monthly) and keeps updated records in the appropriate folder.
- Be responsible for monitoring and providing key performance indicators for the Haematology Laboratory.
- Performing on-call / out-of-hours duties in different specialized areas outside of core working hours.
- Represent the Haematology Laboratory in any applicable unit meeting, seminar, forum or committee and participate in any on-going research programme.
- Ensure the Haematology Laboratory meets the unit’s policies on Health and Safety for the laboratories.
- Performs method validation and re-validation for assays and equipments.
- Compiles an up to date monthly statistics of tests performed.
- Maintains a monthly inventory of laboratory supplies
- Ensure the key Haematology laboratory activities as detailed in the laboratory procedures are complied with including the performance of laboratory methods and the management of equipments, samples and results throughout the laboratory lifecycle.
- Ensure members of the Haematology laboratory have the appropriate knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform their duties properly and facilitate relevant training when necessary.
- Ensure a reliable service is available for the service user; to include advising the service user on any aspect of a service or generated results and taking action on any service user feedback.
- Monitoring and providing key performance indicators for the laboratory.
- Participate in the shipment of biological samples following training by an agent/trainer certified by the International Air Transportation Association (IATA).
- Conducting Haematology staff appraisals, job evaluations, probation review and managing leave and work schedules.
- Overseeing the day-to-day running of the Haematology laboratory.
- Supervise at least 5 laboratory staff and interns and the management of work assignments.
- Driving the process of attaining GCLP and ISO 15189 accreditation in Haematology laboratory.
- Conducting regular laboratory meetings of the Haematology laboratory staff.
- Ensuring Haematology laboratory meets the overall Departmental key performance indicators.
- Manage Equipment and resources
- Manage and monitor inventories of laboratory stocks to ensure efficient usage and avoidance of stock outs.
- Manage and oversee routine laboratory housekeeping functions, equipment performance and safe working practices in the laboratory and duty rota.
- Manage and performing interim analysis to monitor consistency and accuracy of laboratory data generated.
- Daily supervision of at least 5 staff and interns.
- Supervise in the absence of key personnel in different areas of specialism. Supervision of laboratory work for projects.
- Supervise and Control laboratory resources.
- Supervise and ensuring proper documentation, collation and recording of laboratory data.
Quality Management Systems:
- Ensuring compliance of work practices to relevant international laboratory quality standards (e.g. GCLP and ISO 15189).
- Developing and writing Policies in consistent with ISO15189 accreditation.
- Initiate the developing and writing of SOPs and WOIs for specific areas of work in the laboratories for review by the Clinical Laboratories Manager.
- Provide GCLP oversight in the Haematology Laboratory.
- Participate in the writing, implementing, training, reviewing, superseding and archiving of any Haematology laboratory controlled document to meet the Unit’s policy on documentation requirements.
- Be involved in the Unit’s internal audit programmes.
- Ensure the Haematology laboratory facilities are appropriate for the correct performance of the activities being performed under GCLP/ISO15189 condition.
- Ensure the Haematology laboratory has appropriate quality control checks to ensure the quality and accuracy of all aspects of the work performed and where appropriate, to subscribe to membership of external accreditation/performance/proficiency schemes to demonstrate the competency of the work performed.
- Keep Training files and Internal QC folders up to date
- Perform Internal Quality Audits.
- Developing an area of personal scientific research interest in line with the Units research agenda and portfolio
- Participate in on-going research by contributing essential time to support clinical trials and external research projects such as contributing to the recovery of notional charges on the projects.
- Participate in the development of Analytical Plans
- Establishing best practices through participating in the organization and the facilitation of the Unit’s training workshops and short term training programs in GCLP/ISO15189 with the quality department
- Supporting a robust laboratory internship programme that provides training at both undergraduate and post-graduate levels e.g. training university of students, Medical Students, Lab Technicians and other Clinical staff.
- Providing mentorship to interns.
- Provide Lectures for students in on-going degree programmes.
- Training laboratory staff on the range of procedures and assays implemented in a specific work area.
- Overseeing the updating and accuracy of training files of laboratory technicians and interns.
- Presenting to laboratory meetings and research groups the data and outcome of preliminary analysis of laboratory investigations.
- Participating in Unit seminar presentations where appropriate.
- Contribute to the writing of Scientific Articles where appropriate
- Contributing towards the implementation of a robust recharging system for cost recovery for assays and services to external projects with support from relevant departments (Finance, Research Support).
- Be involved in the purchasing of equipment, supplies, services, reagents, and consumable materials for the Haematology laboratory to ensure the quality of the tests being performed.
- Prepare indent and local purchase to be reviewed and verified by the Clinical Laboratories Manager.
- Traveling within the country and abroad based on work demands.
- The post holder is a full-time member of staff at the MRC.
- The post-holder will report to the Clinical Laboratories Manager, Mr J. Bolarinde Lawal
- The Head of Laboratory Management is Dr Davis Nwakanma
- The Director of Operations is Joan Vivestomas
- The Unit Director is Professor Umberto D’Alessandro.
- Appraisals are held at least annually. The Line Manager is Mr J. Bolarinde Lawal
Length of appointment:
- The appointment is up to 31st March 2021 in the first instance and subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
Any other Duties:
- To perform any other duties consistent with the remit of the post.
- MSc degree in Biomedical Science and/or other professional qualification in a relevant field with good knowledge and experience in Haematology, Blood Transfusion and Coagulation.
- At least 5 years experience working in a research laboratory environment.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a managerial role
- Previous experience working in Haematology Laboratory
- Strong background in Haematology Techniques
- A basic technical knowledge of the pieces of equipment within the Haematology laboratory, and be able to troubleshoot with the biomedical engineering department and contract service engineers.
- Experience in Budgeting
- Excellent IT skills (Microsoft office applications)
- Knowledge and Experience of the standards/ guidelines/ regulations applicable to the Haematology laboratory’ working practices towards GCLP/ISO 15189 accreditation.
- Previous experience working in a ISO15189/GCLP/GLP environment
- Proven experience in Managing staff and laboratory equipments
- Knowledge of current literature, techniques, diagnostic tools and equipments applicable to the Haematology laboratory.
- Willingness to work in other MRCG field sites to provide Technical and Quality support.
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary Team.
- The ability to develop and implement SOPs and WOIs for laboratory processes in GCLP/ISO15189 compliant format.
- The ability and willingness to train staff on Haematology procedures.
- The ability to troubleshoot Haematology assays.
- An ability to take initiatives.
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Excellent Time Management skills
- Willingness to work flexible hours.
- Contribute to the writing of scientific articles if required.
- PhD in Biomedical Sciences or a related field will be an added advantage.
- The salary attached to the post is in Grade 3, 27 Points with a minimum net monthly salary of GMD45, 508. This is equivalent to a take home pay of approximately $1, 011 per month using the prevailing USD/Dalasi exchange rate.
- Please note the salary will be paid in Dalasi and the USD/Dalasi exchange rate is only given as a guide using the prevailing exchange rate.
- For displaced staff the package will include rent-free furnished accommodation, flights, displacement allowances for spouse and children, contribution to school fees for children and shipment of personal effects.
Method of Application
Applicants should download and fill the Application Form below and send to:email@example.com
Click here to Download Application Form (MS Word)
- MRC is an Equal Opportunities Employer and operates a strict no smoking policy.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Know More About Medical Research CouncilSimilar Jobs
- X-Ray Counselor at Lagos State Government
- Radiographer at Lagos State Government
- Nutrition Assistant at CARE
- Program Officer 1 - Tuberculosis at Breakthrough ACTION
- Technical Advisor - HIV Epidemic Control and Sustainability at The National Agency for the Control of AIDS (NACA)
- Health Care Assistant at HRLeverage Africa
- Midwife at Medecins Sans Frontieres
- Radiology Assistant at Anadach Consulting