FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology - creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
Data Hub Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Full time
Supervisor: Data Hub Specialist
- Under the direction of the Data Hub Specialist, the Data Hub Officer will be responsible for the day to day operations of managing activities related to the Data Hubs in Borno and Yobe states under the USAID AENN activity.
- S/he is responsible for the planning, maintenance and development of databases and dashboards associated with the Data Hubs, with a strong focus on information management, utilization and capacity building.
- The data management incorporates the following principles: (i)data remains consistent across the database; (ii)data is clearly defined; (iii)users access data concurrently, in a form that suits their needs; (iv)there is provision for data security and recovery control (all data is retrievable in an emergency).
- The application design includes web, desktop and mobile GIS applications. Other responsibilities include the design and creation of spatial products, including maps, digital data, reports and statistics.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Administer and maintain the Data Hubs; monitors and optimizes all data flowing into the Data Hubs including relevant project-level data.
- Support capacity building efforts with education authorities and other partners related to data management, visualization and utilization.
- Coordinate data management issues (e.g., updating records, query management, Internet reports) within the data users’ group.
- Run checks to ensure the security and confidentiality of program data.
- Monitor research staff’s compliance with confidentiality policies to assure that security standards are met.
- Assist in the management of the Data Hub hardware and software, including system development and maintenance, recommend purchase of new hardware and software maintenance of records and reports relating to database operations and data/project archives.
- Assist project team in preparing project results for presentation at regional or national conferences, and in preparing articles for publication, with some supervision.
- Assist in development of data procedural protocols, update, and reviews.
- Develop standardized programming and data documentation procedures relevant to the Data Hubs. Train others in specific data processing and design tasks.
- Design / create special maps and digitizes the maps to GIS datasets. Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- BSc/BA degree in Statistics, Computer Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science or its recognized equivalent with 5 - 7 years post national youth service relevant experience.
- Or MS/MA Statistics, Geographic Information Systems, Computer Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science or its recognized equivalent, and 3 - 5 years post national youth service relevant experience.
- Strong background in database management is required. Demonstrated success in multicultural environments is an advantage.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to work with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, and recipients of assistance.
- Data management skills including a background with a range of data management platforms and associated technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to independently complete assigned tasks, train and facilitate learning and professional development among colleagues.
- Familiarity with client/server or multi-platform application development.
- Knowledge and experience in project-level or state/national-level monitoring and evaluation system implementation.
- Communicate effectively with all levels of personnel on hardware and software needs.
- Ability to speak Kanuri or Hausa is an added advantage.
- Advanced knowledge of relational database concepts and skills utilized in creating and maintaining relational databases and linking them with GIS.
- Knowledge of geographic information system concepts and management. Ability to perform spatial analysis of moderate difficulty and present results in a clear and comprehensible way, either orally or as written reports.
- Ability to perform detail-oriented work with a high level of accuracy.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills with ability to work as a team member.
- Ability to plan and prioritize own work under tight deadlines, as well as to work on own initiative and as a member of a team.
- Ability to travel a minimum of 25%.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403 (b) retirement plan
- Pension plan
Other benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Note: The above job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.