sequa gGmbH is a globally operating non-profit development organisation. Since 1991 sequa has carried out programmes and projects of international cooperation in close collaboration with the German private sector. sequa offers know-how and long-term experience in capacity development for business memberships organisations (BMOs), vocational education and training, private sector development and trade. The organisation is based in Bonn, Germany. sequa employs more than 90 persons (2019) and reported a turnover of 39 million EUR in 2018.
Coach, Training Quality (m/f/d)
Skills Development for Youth Employment (SKYE) is a development cooperation programme in Nigeria implemented by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. The programme promotes demand oriented technical and vocational training and youth employment with funding by the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
sequa implements the project “Cooperative Vocational Training” as a component of SKYE, which drives improvement of vocational training quality to enhance employability, using cooperative approaches with Nigerian partners. It connects with an earlier project funded by BMZ through sequa, modelled on the German dual vocational training approach which piloted cooperative training through a partnership of Chamber of Industry and Commerce Giessen-Friedberg, Germany with several Nigerian chambers and business associations.
Apart from building on the foundations of already established cooperative TVET streams, the project seeks to develop new TVET streams for the construction sector, to pilot these and to assist in the adaptation and systemic integration of this model in Nigeria.
Your Tasks / Responsibilities
- Assiduously work to develop, set, sustain, and improve the teaching methodology underlying different vocational streams and define standards and methods for the training of teachers, in-company trainers, master crafts persons, and master trainers.
- Strengthen the course structures and curricula schedules for courses comprising of about 25% classroom teaching and workshop practice, and 75% in-company training, whereby the classroom part will be divided into about 3 segments of durations of 1 month each, distributed across the 12-months term.
- Address shortcomings in knowledge transfer processes through interventions that inspire and build confidence as well as hone methodological and pedagogic competencies among teaching staff and master trainers.
Your Qualification / Skills
- Bachelor of Arts in Education plus an advanced university degree, preferably in management, psychology, marketing; or a first degree in business, psychology, science, or fine arts, and an advanced degree in education. Preference for candidates who can provide an interdisciplinary educational background covering both a technical area and the humanities or social sciences, with an educational emphasis.
- Preference for candidates with exposure to behaviour change concepts and methodologies (social marketing, business marketing, behavioural health, etc.)
- You are an organised and self-driven individual with acumen for strategic planning and tenacity for translating strategies consistently into practice. You understand that change rather than routine administration is your foremost challenge and you embrace this challenge.
- Exceptional communication, mentorship, and arbitration skills. You are comfortable in roles of leadership by example and by non-coercive means, and you are a natural change agent. You want to do well but are most inspired by the larger opportunity of helping others to do well.
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint paired with ease in using email, Internet, cloud services, and experience in publication of documents. Preference for candidates familiar with databases.
- Strong preference for candidates who can demonstrate knowledge/experience in using IT for educational purposes (flipped classrooms, instructional aids, self-directed research, virtual field trips, video production, podcasts, etc.)
- Excellent written and oral English essential. Fluency in at least one other Nigerian or UN language preferred. A writing test will be administered as part of the selection process. Candidate’s thesis or senior project will be also reviewed as part of process.
- Nigerian citizenship.
Your Work Experience
- Senior level work experience in TVET (preferably in the German dual system) comprising instructional design, training, and pedagogic mentorship on technical subjects
- Substantial teaching experience in an industrialised country, preferably in Germany.
- Preference for candidates with exposure to trades work in any field or direct personal work experience in a craft or trade.
Method of Application
If you believe you meet the requirements of this position and if you are enthusiastic about assuming this challenging role and position, please send your application in English to CVT.Nigeria@gmail.com by latest October 27, 2019. Your application must include the following:
- A signed cover letter (max. 1 page, as PDF) summarising strengths that you believe qualify you for the position, drawing on relevant work experience. In this letter, please also state:
- Your experience with coaching of trainers;
- Your availability
- Your salary expectation.
- An updated CV emphasising experiences relevant for the position.
- Copy of university certificates
Only completed applications of qualified candidates within the deadline will be considered.